It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe abductions are real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Although in believe in UFOS and EBES, the idea of beings travelling millions of light years just to treat us as guinea pigs just doesn't add up.If these beings are super intelligent and technologically advanced in ways we can't comprehend, their morals should have accompanied their evolution. What would an evolved species gain with making our lifes a living hell?

I tend to believe many abductions are just hypnagogic hallucinations caused by SP. Although SP is a mistery on it's own and needs to be further studied.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I don't know. I haven't seen anything that could have been taken really seriously as evidence for abductions.

But don't you think that it is a bit presumptuous to assume that alien morals would even be close to ours?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenoglossy
I don't know. I haven't seen anything that could have been taken really seriously as evidence for abductions.

But don't you think that it is a bit presumptuous to assume that alien morals would even be close to ours?

i would assume that if a species is evolved they would be evolved in all aspects (morals included), not just some.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Humans consider themselves to be moral but we have no problem with doing experiments on on creatures that we consider to be lower lifeforms. So if you were from a race that was millions if not billions of years more advanced then we are would you hesitate to experiment on a race that hasn't evolved past killing themselves over peaceful religions?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Picollo30
Although in believe in UFOS and EBES, the idea of beings travelling millions of light years just to treat us as guinea pigs just doesn't add up.If these beings are super intelligent and technologically advanced in ways we can't comprehend, their morals should have accompanied their evolution. What would an evolved species gain with making our lifes a living hell?

I tend to believe many abductions are just hypnagogic hallucinations caused by SP. Although SP is a mistery on it's own and needs to be further studied.

How can your theory account for group abductions?

If you are asking us to speculate as to why super-advanced aliens might do these things then here is speculation...

Suppose that a super-advanced, super-long-lived (on the order of billions of years) race exists out there. What would their education system be like? Maybe Earth is a 'high school science project' for some super-advanced alien and he/she/it occasionally sends probes/drones/alieo-droids to come collect data once in a while, or continuously. Who knows? Open your mind. The truth is stranger than fiction...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i'm not saying abductions are a hoax but very vivid hallucinations and people really believe they were abducted by aliens, demons, gremlns, whatever. everyone sees what their minds make them see

i've read accounts here on ats that says aliens are demons who when someone asks them to stop in the name of jesus christ the abduction is over, so what does that make it? not aliens after all? now we are talking about demons disguised as greys?

as for humanity's morals, i think we lack in that department. we talk too much but act completely opposite. we are not yet ready for contact, we have yet much to learn.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Picollo30

Originally posted by Xenoglossy

i would assume that if a species is evolved they would be evolved in all aspects (morals included), not just some.

Are we really that much better humans now that we have the atomic bomb and the internet compared to the humans 2000 years ago?

If you read some roman historian who describes some great person or another, you quickly get the impression that he could very well be a politician today.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
double post

edit on 6-4-2013 by Xenoglossy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am quite confident that the 'alien abduction' phenomenon is a real, physical (not merely psychic) phenomenon, but I do not think it is necessarily an extra-terrestrial phenomenon, or even an inter-dimensional phenomenon.

I think the connection to '___' and spiritual experiences, and the diversity of the phenomenon in reports and attestations suggests that it may be a natural phenomenon, more closely connected to our animal origins than to our current sentient existence as "something more than just mammals".

To put it simply: I suspect the phenomenon is not exclusive to humans, but may be present, in one form or another, among most hominids, or even most mammals.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Picollo30

Sure I believe in abductions. After all, inquiring Martians (whatever's) want to know. Don' they? That's why they pick us earth creatures up.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Do you believe abductions are real?

Yes... at least, some of them.

If we stop to consider the stories and the evidence for so may of these abductions, we come to realize that had these been kidnappings of the 'human.e.human' type, said evidence would have been admissible in a courtroom.

Of course, the preferred reasoning here is that UFOs and abductions do not exist, therefore any evidence is immediately dismissed. And so long as this approach prevails, there can't and won't be much more credence lent to the subject than there is currently.

On the whole, people are very good liars but on the same foundation of a whole, most people don't.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Yes... at least, some of them.

If we stop to consider the stories and the evidence for so may of these abductions, we come to realize that had these been kidnappings of the 'human.e.human' type, said evidence would have been admissible in a courtroom.

Of course, the preferred reasoning here is that UFOs and abductions do not exist, therefore any evidence is immediately dismissed. And so long as this approach prevails, there can't and won't be much more credence lent to the subject than there is currently.

On the whole, people are very good liars but on the same foundation of a whole, most people don't.

What would you consider to be a case with evidence for abduction?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
How much have you looked into the phenomenon?
Surely, not all who believe that they have been visited by demons or alien extra-terrestrials actually have been, but then there are several accounts that cannot be so easily explained as sleep paralysis or lucid dreaming.
For example, how do one explain how claimed abductees are abducted during car rides? Did they fall asleep behind the wheel and wake up several hours later still in control of their vehicle?
And how do one explain how there are so many couples that are able to retell the details of the same experience?
And what about physical anomalies such as scratches, burn marks, anomalous residue, heightened radiation levels where the abductees claim to have been abducted and/or on objects and anomalous metallic objects inside of abductees' bodies?
Not to mention how so many of claimed abductees say they experience the same type of encounters and procedures despite there not being any evidence suggesting that they have had contact with each other?

Sure, everyone can fabricate a story, lie or hallucinate, put anomalous metallic objects into their own body and scratch themselves but honestly; there is a lot more to this story than just sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming.

That's only my oppinion though.
edit on 6-4-2013 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2013 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I believe in aliens, just not that they've been here.

To be fair, I'm looking at this from humanities view point.

If we could travel to other world, and discover intelligent life, yet less
technologically advanced than us. Do you think we wouldn't make our
presence know?

I believe the conversation would go like this.
Hi there, nice land.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I am inclined to believe that most alien abduction stories are problematic.

We have stories like the Betty and Barney Hill abduction, Travis Walton, Allagash and a few other cases where the 'victims' were taken from physical locations and there are corroborating witness statements to at least confirm something strange may have occurred. Most of these actually occurred before those little grey beings had become part of the folklore.

Then we had the multitude of "bedroom" abductions and stealing of genetic material in the late 1970s through to the end of the last century by the pesky grey guys with the big black eyes using primitive medical instruments and technology that our current medical science surpassed at least a decade ago. I am not sure if there are repeat sightings of UFOs above certain "abductees" homes or not. But this is something we should expect if most claims are true.

Here we are in the 21st century when cheap camera technology is available and the reports of abduction are somewhat close to nothing. It's quite simple to set up the equipment for whilst you sleep if you really believe you are being abducted frequently during the night. But do we see many videos of this experience?

I conclude that although there may well be a rare number of genuine UFO abduction cases through history that in the main most of the claims are made by mentally disturbed people, attention seekers, and those who have been led along a path by psychologists and hypnotists who are seeking to re-inforce their own belief system in the phenomenon.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Do you believe abductions are real?,

Some are and some aren't. Of those that are ... I look at them the same way a human scientist looks at penquins when he/she is studying them at the South Pole. We are probably a big science project or something ....

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by terriblyvexed
I believe in aliens, just not that they've been here.

To be fair, I'm looking at this from humanities view point.

If we could travel to other world, and discover intelligent life, yet less
technologically advanced than us. Do you think we wouldn't make our
presence know?

I believe the conversation would go like this.
Hi there, nice land.

Why would you look at the issue from "humanities view point"?

Also: what is humanity?
Just go to Japan and observe how the culture shock will kick you in the balls. And that's just another HUMAN culture.

We can't even begin to imagine what a totally alien culture would be like.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Xenoglossy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Do you believe abductions are real?,

Some are and some aren't.

Which ones are real in your opinion?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In my opinion I'm a skeptic when it comes to alien abduction. The Travis Walton case really caused me to become in interested in aliens again. But as a skeptic I'm generally skeptical.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Until a couple of years ago, the whole 'abduction phenomena' seemed to me like an expression of madness, cultism and hoaxery. It still does although I now hold the notion that some element of it was unusual and hasn't been explained by anyone to this day.

By that I include the Hopkins/Jacobs scenarios of humanity being diluted/bred from existence as much as Susan Clancy's rejection of the phenomena as being entirely psychological. That isn't to say that I believe it *wasn't* psychological, just that the traits and conditions put forward to explain them weren't convincing enough for me. 'Aliens did it' is just as unattractive an answer.

I've read a stack of books and papers on the subject that include academic psychological studies as well as the pro-ET books. I've read the folkloric (Bullard etc) and psycho-social approaches too and, like I said, set out with the expectation that it would all be garbage. Stuart Appelle's study covers the issues very well.

The result is that I'm just not sure about it. Something strange occurred and we probably missed the opportunity to study it properly as folk were rushing to conclusions and picking whatever supported their perspectives.

A study on the way different researchers found their belief-systems being reflected back at them might be all that's left to analyse.

Short answer? Yes...and no.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join