It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you teach a child survival?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

This one is definitely covered. I have been first aid and cpr certified since high school and I am currently in my second year of nursing school. My family learns as I progress through my classes

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I agree with the others that first aid is mandatory knowledge.

However something else would be knots. Give your child a piece of rope to add to their toy collection, and teach a few basic knots. Just be aware if there are other children around that might get tied up. There are also lots of magic tricks that can be done with a piece of rope for more fun. You might be amazed how much fun something simple like a piece of string can be.

Cooking is definitely useful knowledge. Since you already mentioned knife safety, you could have them help with the prep work when cooking (if you are comfortable with that). As you mentioned the child is 6 they probably will need a stool to reach the counter top, but simple things like cookies and cupcakes are always welcome.

And swimming is something that will most certainly make life more enjoyable, even if the skill is never needed for survival.

<< 1   >>

join