It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Objects Out of Time

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Save for the fact that we are talking about Aztecs and not Maya.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by Harte

Save for the fact that we are talking about Aztecs and not Maya.

You got a quote and link to Cortez' report?

look:

One of the more controversial aspects of the Quetzalcoatl myth is his promise to return, which O'Brien mentions quite frequently. Some scholars contend that many of the accounts referring to this particular legend have a Spanish influence. A prime example of this scenario is in Letters from Mexico,6 where the Aztec king Motecuzoma (incorrectly spelled by O'Brien as Mutezuma in Fair Gods) supposedly speaks to the Spaniards, relating a tale of his people's ancestral relationship with them. He asserts that the natives are descended from "foreigners who came from a very distant land" and that "a chieftain . . . brought our people to this region." According to this report, the foreign chieftain went back to his native country but then returned to Motecuzoma's ancestors, by whom he was rejected; he departed again but promised to return. O'Brien accepts this story as an accurate historical account (see p. 26), but did Motecuzoma really believe the Spaniards were his long-lost relatives? This may very well be a tainted history promulgated to ensure a Spanish stronghold in the New World. By manipulating what may be, in part, a factual report, the Spaniards may have made the developing conquest look as though Motecuzoma was welcoming his lord home after a long separation.7

Link

Harte

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Smyleegrl sez:

A fellow teacher! Wonderful!

I teach first grade, a huge difference from high school. You've got my respect for that. I completely understand the challenges and frustrations.

It seems you're very familiar with the items mentioned in these threads. Do you have any books or articles you could recommend that explore the question of OOPARTS objectively? Objectively is going to be the key word here.

Not really. I've been checking into it for quite some time.

There used to be a great pseudoscience link page at theantiquityofman.com - a site about a book of the same name.

Talkorigins has quite a bit of info on pseudoscientific claims as well.

You could also try Doug's Archaeology Site. That site has been hijacked and you'll be redirected. But, if you have a quick mouse hand, you can stop the site before it redirects (LOL.) Doug Weller is a member here and a mod at The Hall of Maat, which, come to think of it, is another great place to find answers - (there are a lot of papers posted there if you're intimidated by the anthropologists and archaeologists that post there.)

Lastly, go to Larry Orcutt's excellent Catchpenny Mysteries of Ancient Egypt. Larry Orcutt is one of the nicest guys on the internet, IMO, he is definitely a fine fellow indeed.
(I told him I'd promote his site if he let me use a pic from there in the old tinwiki that used to be at ATS - I wrote the article about dating the sphinx - and, no, I don't mean my wife!)

I'm at work and don't have time to link you. But use google on those underlined things above - you'll find them.

Harte

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Ill get on that for you.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I wanted to simply say thank you for the cool threads that pique interest and engage my curiosity. This is healthy for all human minds so S&F for you, I know you give back to this community and try to engage but there's always the control freak or some nitpicky bore who doesn't know how to move along. right? I work in data mining and know these types well.

Threads get locked so many times here for such mundane reasons and I find the mods to sometimes appear like PC wet blankets closing threads just because of whining (I'm old and came from the irc/newsgroup community). This is hard to deal with, I want to stay here to research and read about open minded topics, yet so many interpret deny ignorance in such harsh ways.

On topic, I have never been very comfortable with the current picture of history and all the empty spaces, so much missing and it leaves too many questions. I do not trust history for the most part, but I have to keep engaged and looking into these topics, so thank you again SG, I usually really enjoy your posts and threads.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join