It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. might flunk Global Voting test!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by kozmo
Um, who is the lone SuperPower on the planet? Who has the strongest economy on the planet? Whose citizens enjoy the greatest amount of freedom on the planet? Which country has the longest current standing government on the planet? Hmmmm.... Nuff said!

Um, let me guess. China. Japan. Wow, number three is hard. Canada? France? You know, number four, I'll say England, although I believe it's actually Sweden or some Scandinavian country. Or it could be a European country, I really don't know. Sounds like you don't either.

Well, the U.S. does have the largest economy on the planet, both as a measure of GDP and GNP. However, other countries have strong economies too (obviously) and some, like China and India, are catching up to the U.S. fast!

How long a country has been around as an entity is not the same thing as how long the current government of a country has been in effect.

For example, China is over 5,000 years old as an entity, but its current government only came to power in 1949. The U.K. as it exists today came to power in 1801, when Great Britian (England, Scotland, & Wales) joined with Ireland to become the "United Kingdom." (Most of Ireland later broke away to become its own indepdent country in 1949, with Northern Ireland remaining part of the U.K.)

As for the U.S., it has existed as an entity since 1783, but it has had two governments:

The Articles of Confederation (1783 - 1789)
The Constitution (1789 - Present)

Most of the world's current governments (including those of post-war Europe) have only been around since the end of World War II. Also, the countries whose current governments came out of the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991 are even younger than that -- less than 20 years old! So, the U.S. may be quite young as an entity compared to, say, China or France, but it does have the oldest currently functioning government on the planet.

Being a "superpower" is a relative term that depends on your point of view, so it's not really worth addressing. Similarly, who is the "most free" is not an easy question to answer -- For example, there are things you can do in the U.S. that you can't do in France, and things you can do in France that you can't do in the U.S., etc.

After all, absolute freedom is anarchy, and absolute bondage is dictatorship. Most republics strive for the middle -- they attempt the uneasy truce of freedom and order at the same time.

[edit on 11/3/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

america is seriously divided right now. the 'divide and conquer' boys are laughing their collective arse off. you have created TWO countries inside a country. it should now be called "the dis-united states of america'.

thought i'd point out that ideas don't live within artificial man-made borders.........

Kerry told Bush the country was too divided, the source said, and Bush agreed. "We really have to do something about it," Kerry said according to the Democratic official.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Um, who is the lone SuperPower on the planet? Who has the strongest economy on the planet? Whose citizens enjoy the greatest amount of freedom on the planet? Which country has the longest current standing government on the planet? Hmmmm.... Nuff said!

1. US, still, barely.
2. Norway, they have zero deficit, negative debt and negative unemployment.
3. Netherlands.
4. I don't get this one ? Elaborate.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Who cares if the rest of the world gives the us an "F"?

It's an "F" that I'll proudly display, knowing that it came from the world!

P.S. Many thanks to everyone of you here at ATS that supported President Bush and Vice-president Cheney in their re-election bid!
You know who you are as well as I!

Today, 03 NOV 04, is indeed a very good day in American history!

[edit on 3/11/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I don't understand why we can't go back to an old fashioned paper ballot and keep the voting methods simple and uniform. I really dislike not having a paper trail and I don't trust the machines.

i can only speak for the machines in nevada, but they do record the vote on paper as well....and from my questioning of the election official there, over 10% will be hand tabulated.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join