Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What percentage of us actually wants war?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by constant_thought

Governmennts and bankers want wars. Not people, War is the same as it has always been. The rich sending the poor to die so they can make money.

Quick question Purp.

Have you run into members on ATS that are pro war?

How many of them do you think are from the goverment or are bankers.

You might think of some that you ran into as shills. But do you think all of them are?
edit on 6-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: ritghting ritten rotten

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

(What percentage of people want war)....my answer is ...a lot.

Why? To make a lot of money.

In many countries their economy is in major trouble.

War is big business...and war makes a lot of money for many people when one happens.

edit on 6-4-2013 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

" Some people in this thread say "I think therefore I am."

When in reality it should be, "I am therefore I think." "

Only if you are a woman.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Now that's not fair, they use their whole brain.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If humanity is but a slave to their instincts than they are nought but a mechanism which must obey without ability to restrain those instincts which do arise, for it is their nature. How then is it that there are those who defy their programming and disobey their instincts and strive to make themselves master of their own will? What are we to think of it?

Surely then, humanity is more than a slave to its own instincts, that is not to say that they do not have such instincts but rather that they are not necessarily bound to obey them. What then?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I do not personally want war. I would like it if people could work together to solve their differences of opinions as long as it does not infringe upon my opinion or way of life. If someone seriously thinks it is ok to launch missles and nukes at the US or other friendly countries, then I have a problem with that. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems the only way to stop a bully is to put the smack down on him. Of course if he is not full of hot air or if he could seriously hurt a lot of people, maybe it would be wiser to tone down the war of words and let peace prevail. That is until you can put the smack down on him without getting hurt yourself. Better yet, wait until some bigger guy such as China is ready and willing to shut him up once and for all. China can take over North Korea as far as I'm concerned as a military exercise. I would like it if North Korea didn't launch any missles or hurt anyone else in the process though. Reality or fantasy? I don't know. I believe China has more monetary resources to handle rebuilding North Korea.

Maybe some in the US want North Korea to keep acting up. It might be easier to get anti-missle funding if there is a loose hot head with nukes and missles rather than no one.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't want war but it seems I am part of the minority that doesn't like to boast how big, powerful and great america and the UN are all the time. It is funny how people like to accuse the UN of being gun grabbers and then in the same breath accuse iran and north korea as being dictatorial. Who is really being dictatorial?

And where are the alternative views on ATS? This is an alternative site, correct? Why if I post from beforeitsnews or global research do so many posters shoot the messenger and refuse to read the material for themselves? Why do they prefer zerohedge, yahoo or fox news instead?

All you lurkers that value truth would be wise to create an account and take this site over from the shills who push mainstream garbage 24/7. Sorry for my angry words, well actually I am not!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
OP talks about how the wars divide us, when technically a world conqueror is the only way to bring us together.
"united we stand, divided we fall" only applies to the US citizens right? because thats how everyone seems to think.

Leaving other nations be would leave the world at peace? I really dont see how thats possible lol.

Im not for war, but I dont see any other option. we have nothing but a history if lines drawn on a map, and that ENCOURAGES war.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Only two types of people want war.
The people who profit from it.
And the people who have never been stained by the blood of war.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'm opposed to war in most cases. I do consider the possibility of "Just War" but am concerned with the 'flexibility' of definition. I try to look at the idea "lessening suffering" as the only justification possible for war and then who decides - how can one decide just what will lessen another's suffering.

That said and after reading the posts (until the thread started to devolve to 'picking at nits' - happy to say it hasn't devolved too badly) I want to share some of my thoughts on several posts.

I want to give a huge Shout Out to Kari12 for referencing THREADS. The most horrific television mini-series I've ever seen. It only played once in the US that I know of and it took me years of searching to find a video copy of it. I am glad to see that it is available online.

Only then Kari12, I'll not reference the actual poster but it will become obvious to those reading the various posts. I'm seeing a few common threads that deserve serious commend and debate.

So in no particular order:

1 - Human Instinct for War

I don't believe humans have an instinct for war, I think the instinct is for survival (individually and collectively). Our instincts evolve very slowly and are mostly physically based in response to physical simuli in the environment (from the definition posted earlier.

What is meant here is more accurately characterized as Socialization. The evolution of the Group and it's response to PERCEIVED threats. Our conditioning from childhoold creates 'threats' out of non-physical things which we react to physically (if only in stress).

Humans have evolved over the ages from a time when a threat had to be immediate (to self or tribe) into a state of conscienceness that anticipates possible future threats. That evolvution has been a sucessful stragety for humanity - and hence reinforced in the Socialization of each sucssesive generation.

This stragety is no longer serving humanity or the planet and we must find the will and willingness to continue the evolution further. But only self-reflective humans - those who actually show up for life - can do so.

I quote from Frank Herbert's Dune on the difference between animals and humans. For those who know the work - I refer to the test of the Gom Jabbar:

The gom jabbar is a fictional weapon from the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert, appearing in his 1965 novel Dune and its adaptations. It is a poison needle tipped with "meta-cyanide" that is used by Bene Gesserit Proctors in their death-alternative test of human awareness.[1]

In Dune, Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam uses a gom jabbar to test Paul Atreides just prior to his departure to Arrakis. This "humanity test" is carried out with a box that produces pain by "nerve induction", causing intense and severe pain without inflicting any physical damage. Only a human is considered to be able to possess the self-discipline to withstand this pain and resist the urge to take their hand out of the box. A person who withdraws their hand is stung with the gom jabbar, causing instant death.

“ Stop! I hold at your neck the gom jabbar ... the high-handed enemy. It's a needle with a drop of poison on its tip ... It kills only animals. ”

— Mohiam to Paul, Dune (1965), Frank Herbert

Later in the novel, Paul's sister Alia uses a gom jabbar to kill the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. Paul next uses the gom jabbar as a pointed analogy when he tells Mohiam, "I remember your gom jabbar. Now you remember mine - I can kill you with a word."

I find this the most profound statement of the dividing line between those human's that are merely animals that can talk and use tools and those human's that are actually human and using the evolved capabilities of the human race.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
2. Definition of War

Please excuse my poor spelling; I am anxious to get my thoughts down on paper (sic) and am not doing much editing.

The definition of war has eroded badly in the years since WWII. The USA hasn't been in a declared war since but seems to be in a perpetual state of war non-the-less.

When you ask "What percentage of people are in favor of war", you will never receive an answer that has any meaning because each person's definition of war is different because the context of war is so nebulous.

If you ask, "Would you be in favor of a war, taking place in your own neighborhood, with your life in danger and your sons and daughter having to fight to the death, most people would say no". This is a very relevant point for those who live in the USA who haven't experienced actual War on our land in 160+ years.

We are quick to war on other peoples land and families.

Then there are the wars on drugs and terrorism and, dare I say, Xmas. These 'wars' have no physical boundries, cross political, religiious and race boundries and eat up enourmous resources.

How many are in favor of these wars, or a specific one. Not I - I don't think the war mind set (instrinct/socialization) will work in these areanas of disagreement.

3. Military-Industrial Complex

I am an Army brat and worked in the complex for many years. The complex will go on in peacetime or wartime regardless. It may be smaller and less outsourced in a 'peacetime' footing then in a war footing. A great many of the components of our 'war stuff' are made overseas so I don't think the jobs issue is too important.

That said, much of the war industry could be retooled into peaceful and productive industries that would create new, clean and good jobs for millions more US Citizens and residents.

You say we can do it - we have done it. WWII is a prime example of what this country can do with leadership and the committment and will of the citizens.

We could have a war on pollution. We could bring back the war on poverty. In order to do that will require a level of confidence in ourselves and our leadership that has been destroyed by 40 years of voodoo economics and corporate/government non-accountablity.

4. History is the History of war

The history we are taught in school is the history of war. Our perception of human development over the centuries is colored by that and we need to look into the history of other things, things of greater importance. I can name several and challenge you all to think about it.

I'm done now and will go back to reading.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
not me i just want to drink, smoke, play guitar, but if it happens i will not have the ability to hesitate beating one jerk with another jerk. i mean if immigrants come in they gotta come in less often, but invasion is just a dumb idea. if north korea strikes us it's on

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
14.38%

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I can't think of one regular person who wants war. The top 1% does, but not the common man. I think it's been this way forever. Look back through history and you're not going to find a very long time frame, if any at all, where there wasn't a war in some part of the world between at least 2 countries for whatever reason. This tells me 2 things: Humans don't like to fight, but it's the leaders who tell us to. It also tells me why those leaders are in the position they are.......they know the vast majority of people are easily led, so they lead them. Onto the battlefield like sheep to the slaughter pen. I just have a hard time believing that at any time in the past, present or future there were, or there is going to be, leaders who give a sh!t about the people they lead. Leaders typically aren't very caring individuals, so it's up to them to prove otherwise to their populace.

Countries just need to stop trying to get along with others' on a personal level. It's never happened before in the long term and it never will. Do business with other countries........by all means, even go there on vacation, but people really need to stop butting their noses into other peoples' affairs. I don't care how they live in Rhwanda or Isreal and neither should anyone else. I hope they treat their people nice, but if they don't I'm not going to go over there and force them. It's up to them.

It's up to them..........

edit on 6-4-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)
edit on 6-4-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Well, nobody wants war. But after the war is over the factory worker who made the instruments of war will tell you that they had to work to earn to feed their kids. And the soldier who used the weapons made in the factory will tell you that he had no idea what war was before he got there, but was forced to use the weapons in order to save his life and the life of his buddies.

The field commanders will tell us that they were following orders from the higher ups and that to refuse would result in termination of command, a post they worked hard for. Besides they are grooming for something higher and they don't actually have to fight. The supreme commanders in the Pentagon will tell you that they fought the war at the command of the political leadership in Washington, who will say they ordered the war because the Military Industrial Complex bribed them to do so. The same factories that employ the workers who build the weapons used in the war.

So actually, everybody helped make it happen while at the same time saying they didn't have a choice.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I do not want war, I am a Pacifist. I do believe in protests and rally's, we all have a right to voice our opinion. The most recent rally that I attended was the most powerful one to date that I have attended across the US. I follow several groups and the following group actually put video up on their blog of the rally. Great stuff

bobpowell.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Only two types of people want war.
The people who profit from it.
And the people who have never been stained by the blood of war.

You say that now. Wait until you find out that TPTB have been shielding you from the fact that you are surrounded by alien hybrids whose friendship is dependent upon your service to spiritual procrastination.

Then you will enjoy doom.

Its fun watching these hybrids get their proverbial butts handed to them. Meteor style.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

animals dont wage wars. humans do

Two words

ARMY ANTS

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Originally posted by freedomSlave

animals dont wage wars. humans do

Two words

ARMY ANTS

Bugs = aliens

Aliens = zom-bees

Bugs in control of pink humans carrying axes equals

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Growing up in the 60's and 70's, I had WAR in-my-face via the nightly news for years......via a 19" B&W telly. Then too, was the anti-war movement and police brutality.

I had 2 brothers that just barely beat the draft due to their ages. The one thing I'm grateful for is that Nixon (Tricky Dick) did finally get us out of Viet Nam. But I had older friends who got drafted, and suffered horrible mental consequences.

Truthfully, I'm scared sh*tless at this point! I have 2 grown boys who will probably have no choice IF the draft is reinstated.

Just read the Book of Revelation.....WW III will be THE war that ends ALL wars! It's at our doorstep and it ain't gonna be a cakewalk....

So, with that said, here's a song I've had playing in my head for many decades....

edit on 7-4-2013 by Toots because: grammar correction

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join