It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percentage of us actually wants war?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am curious to know simply because the powers which run our countries seem to be constantly trying to topple each other, but how many of the actual citizens want war? I can't imagine any of us do.

Why are we fighting these wars? It's just one massive farce which divides us even further. Why do "we" do it?
"We" stand there proud for our countries, whilst being the aggressor to other countries- (and this applies to everyone) but this wont get us anywhere. I just don't understand it. We've aloud a monster to speak for us all- but how loud do we have to shout before this beast listens? I for one, think war is an archaic tool which is well past it's prime and the majority of the people just plain don't need or want it. Rant over.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
How many people work in the civilian defense industry, as in defense contractors? That won't be every one of them ..but it's the start of what I think will be the bulk of your number.

I carefully did not say Military because in my experience, serving military are the last ones to WANT war unless they are warped individuals or so removed from the battlefield in some staff slot that they really need retired clear out of the services completely. Just my thoughts.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by constant_thought

I for one don't want war. I think if you ask any mother or grandmother on the planet 99.99% of them would say that they do not want war.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Occasionally in my life I have come across situations where there has been violence committed against me, I have fought back in every case because I am not a victim and never will be. But I have never attacked somebody for my own gain. I expect my country to behave in the same way.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

It is very easy to see that the vast majority of people do not want war.

Only if you look at human History from the beginning. You will see that it is fact that we will always have it.

We just can't get along. Whether it is religion, greed , politcial views , or just plain hate. War and violence will always follow us.

There is nothing that can be done. People can pray, march, chant, or get on their soapbox. It won't matter.

So people can "wish" all they want. You can spend your life in prusuit of "World Peace". In the end you will fail like all others before you.

We are animals get use to it.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

animals dont wage wars. humans do

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

I assume you are being facetious, violence is violence. No need to split hairs

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I can't speak for America, I think I do speak for much of Britain though when I describe how I grew up.

I went to a CofE Primary school that shared a field with an RC school. There was fighting and arguments because we were labelled differently. At Secondary school there was fighting with the CofE school because they was the nearest school. My home town hates the town down the road because they are cavemen. My county hates the county over the Pennines because of the War of the Roses I think. My region hates the south because we are not poofs, although they think we are monkeys. My country hates the French, which is justified. The east hates the west because we are decadent. Somewhere aliens hate us because they are getting 70's game shows broadcast to them in an endless stream.

I have no idea how you break the cycle short of banning young people.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rob7774
Occasionally in my life I have come across situations where there has been violence committed against me, I have fought back in every case because I am not a victim and never will be. But I have never attacked somebody for my own gain. I expect my country to behave in the same way.

What country are you from?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Why are we fighting these wars?

Jobs , we (UK) spend about 2% of GDP on defense plus we're one of the biggest arms dealers in the world , it pays to have wars .

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skittle

Britain, and I know where your coming from! It is not my fault that my country has invaded everybody twice in most cases. Unlike Tony Blair I feel no need to apologise for the actions of people who have been dead for a hundred years or more.

I reached voting age in 1992, I'll accept responsibilty for every war since then.

edit on 5-4-2013 by Rob7774 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob7774

I can't speak for America

I can try, this song is from the 60's put it kind of sums it up in a whimsical way. Hey with luck maybe we can get one week a year.

edit on 5-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

animals dont wage wars. humans do

You might want to get out more...Every social animal from bugs to primates will protect it's territory/young. HELLO!

Ever seen ants raid and destroy another colony. Seen monkeys fight and destroy an invading troop. Watched a stallion fight to the death to defend his mares from another stud horse, Messed with a wasp nest?? I guess because they do not have (OH NO GUNS) only their teeth,claws and bodies you think it must not be war??

If war is defined by mass killings then you might want to go back to the professor who filled your brain with that idea and point out the error of his ways. Organized death is all around you and some of it ain't pretty; call it nature...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Let's crunch numbers...

The top 25 defense contractors in the US have a total of 1,739,520 employees. Now, some of these companies aren't strictly just defense contractors, some of them simply create electronics and computers. So, we'll take a generous percentage at 75% and say that 1,304,640 want, to some degree, military action as it brings in money.

Religious fundamentalists are also a major factor. Fundy Christians are constantly gripping the Book of Revelations and staring at the news in hopes that they'll see the next major prophecy being fulfilled for the End Times. Not just Christianity, but Islam. Now, the US population is at 313,914,040. 73-76% of those identify themselves as Christians. We'll use 73%. 5-15%, depending on the numbers, belong to clasically fundamentalist churches. We'll use 10%. 229,157,249 Christians, that would be 22,915,724 fundamentalist Christians. We'll say all of those, to some degree, want war of some kind in hopes that it will jumpstart the events of Revelations.

So, we're currently looking at 24,220,364 people who most likely would want war in some shape or form.

The percentage of that, in the US population, is 7.71%

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
Let's crunch numbers...

The top 25 defense contractors in the US have a total of 1,739,520 employees. Now, some of these companies aren't strictly just defense contractors, some of them simply create electronics and computers. So, we'll take a generous percentage at 75% and say that 1,304,640 want, to some degree, military action as it brings in money.

Religious fundamentalists are also a major factor. Fundy Christians are constantly gripping the Book of Revelations and staring at the news in hopes that they'll see the next major prophecy being fulfilled for the End Times. Not just Christianity, but Islam. Now, the US population is at 313,914,040. 73-76% of those identify themselves as Christians. We'll use 73%. 5-15%, depending on the numbers, belong to clasically fundamentalist churches. We'll use 10%. 229,157,249 Christians, that would be 22,915,724 fundamentalist Christians. We'll say all of those, to some degree, want war of some kind in hopes that it will jumpstart the events of Revelations.

So, we're currently looking at 24,220,364 people who most likely would want war in some shape or form.

The percentage of that, in the US population, is 7.71%

Or you could have just said around 8%, hmmmm 92% don't want war ?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Exactly! And funny to boot. It's sad and I must point out that it's not a idea I sign up to after living in no particular order in England, Holland, Germany, France and Kuwait.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by freedomSlave

I assume you are being facetious, violence is violence. No need to split hairs

No there is a difference a monkey that breaks the rules of the tribe he might be beaten and banished .

Monkeys do not form armies to invade the cheetahs home land because the cheetah has spots on it , or to exploit it's resources to expand their empire .

It is the rulers and elite who want wars not it's everyday citizens

I am sorry but with your train of thought on this , of course wars will happen and keep happening because we allow it to happen , from the soldier who can't seem to think for themselves to the citizen who sits there and think well we are just animals business as usual .

Why continue to strive to be a savage race . Instead of helping better the lives of people we are selfish and couldn't be bothered while we bomb their homes and rape and pillage their communities . At what point do we start to grow and evolve as a species . At what point do we take responsibility for the actions of our elected officials . At what point do we start teaching our children tolerance to differences in people and not teach hate over differences in people .

What country is going to stand up and lead the way and practice what they preach where does it all start ... with people like you and me my friend not from the top down

edit on 5/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Good question. On one hand there is War, and on the other hand there is 'War'.

Whilst I was and still am firmly against the motion of deploying troops all over the western Arab regions for want of profit, cash, glory, oil or just giving your troops a reason to keep on 'serving' because there are no jobs for them at home.. . I'm a firm believer in action against insane, dangerous imbeciles, particularly those who 'dictate'. I would happily get behind any plan to wipe North Korea off the map, at the very least so we can get our politicians back to doing what they were supposed to be doing, fixing our financial situation.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I don't want another war. I have nightmares about what the human race with do to our planet. It's scary to think that the human race has the capability to destroy our home, a planet that belongs to every living creature on it. With the likes of lil jr. out of North Korea shouting his rhetoric and threats of nuclear annihilation I'm scared. Nuclear war is my worst nightmare for all living creatures and I fear we are on the brink. I hope that we don't go to war. I pray to the universe we don't go to war. I want to leave a beautiful planet that our ancestors can enjoy.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky

You might want to get out more...Every social animal from bugs to primates will protect it's territory/young. HELLO!

umm Hello yourself .

there is a difference in protecting something than there is invading . what the hell do you think humans go to war for ...to liberate Afghanistan and Iraq.. or do you not grasp that or are you saying humans are no smarter than an ant .

or would you rather talk about random acts of violence .

how many wars has your country been involved in in the last 40 years did some one invade your country's territory ? or do you think our young as at risk of something thousands of miles away ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join