It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Blank Theme" Writing Contest -- Writers Please Opine!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ok, so just sounding in here, I always love the ats contests no matter what the theme.

WWIII would give doom and gloomers their fix, at the same time be a way for writers to vent some of the mental frustration they feel towards the real possibility of it actually happening, so either way it would be a healing project.

To take it in the other direction and create a respite from said doom, well that is also a great idea.

I liked the idea of doing a post WWIII scenario where it is left to the survivors to do clean up and create a new way of life.

Ok off to take a much needed nap...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I want to keep track of this thread. I might want to submit something. I have been writing science fiction screen plays as a hobby for a short time now.

How do we submit these things? To a moderators email address, or directly into a thread?
edit on 6-4-2013 by StarsInDust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

I'm definitely now leaning towards something more open.

Currently the winning ideas are as follows:

Format -- Script/Radio Play

Theme -- WW3 as a current, past or future event. This will allow anybody to make the kind of story they wish, using scifi or contemporary stuff. It also works for the purpose of apocalypse scenarios. WW3 could easily be caused by a zombie outbreak for example than by nuclear fire.

~Tenth

How about scrap all those and have it on the Mystical Land of Zog.

Yog and Magog got lost on their way back to Earth to bring the apocalypse and instead of wreaking havoc on Earth they try to carry out their plan on Zog.

Hilarity ensues when _______ because ______ and the _______ purple unicorns with explosive farts.

Or yeah, do another NWO/WWIII/Illuminati/Alien/Yeti story...

Never been done on the forum.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

Once the contest starts there will be a dedicated thread. You'll post your entries in the Short Stories forum and then link them in the official contest thread.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Tis the members choice my friend

I make all the decisions usually, this time I'm leaving it up to your guys.

Well mostly

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
How about a poetry contest?

I see lots of 'story contest' threads -
But poetry? Nope, nada, zippo- zilch..

..no peotry contest's!

.....hmmmmmmmm........

What's up wit dat

Gottta be mega poets with oodles of talent on this forum!!!!!!!
edit on 6-4-2013 by HumAnnunaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HumAnnunaki

That's on my list of contests to come my friend

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
How about when universes collide and this universe starts to merge with a known game/film universe slowly and introduces elements from there into ours.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
What about Love instead of war?. Surely better considering recent events

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
What about Love instead of war?. Surely better considering recent events

I've read many loves stories that were intertwined within war time

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Once the contest starts there will be a dedicated thread. You'll post your entries in the Short Stories forum and then link them in the official contest thread. ~Tenth

Ok, thanks for the screenplay submission info, tothetenthpower!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumAnnunaki

..no peotry contest's!

.....hmmmmmmmm........

What's up wit dat

Poetry contests are a logistical nightmare, and a mod's worst foe. The Mod has to read EVERY entry for T&C violations, and the last poetry contest a few months ago had thousands of entries. Poetry Contests cause even the best Mods to go crazy.

Feel free to enter poems, but to make it into a contest, meh. I feel bad for the Mods then. Their workload shoots through the roof.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

I'm definitely now leaning towards something more open.

Currently the winning ideas are as follows:

Format -- Script/Radio Play

Theme -- WW3 as a current, past or future event. This will allow anybody to make the kind of story they wish, using scifi or contemporary stuff. It also works for the purpose of apocalypse scenarios. WW3 could easily be caused by a zombie outbreak for example than by nuclear fire.

~Tenth

I'm liking how this is shaping up.

I do have one question about the format. Something like an H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" radio script? We could really go crazy with that, radio reports coming in from different cities. I can already see some flashy story titles that will have the newbies commenting even with the standard [xxxxx] denotation.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Originally posted by HumAnnunaki

..no peotry contest's!

.....hmmmmmmmm........

What's up wit dat

Poetry contests are a logistical nightmare, and a mod's worst foe. The Mod has to read EVERY entry for T&C violations, and the last poetry contest a few months ago had thousands of entries. Poetry Contests cause even the best Mods to go crazy.

Feel free to enter poems, but to make it into a contest, meh. I feel bad for the Mods then. Their workload shoots through the roof.

Poems are typically shorter than a short story though. I kind of get what you are saying but it is by far more text to go through with a short story versus a poem.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Ok, so just sounding in here, I always love the ats contests no matter what the theme.

WWIII would give doom and gloomers their fix, at the same time be a way for writers to vent some of the mental frustration they feel towards the real possibility of it actually happening, so either way it would be a healing project.

To take it in the other direction and create a respite from said doom, well that is also a great idea.

I liked the idea of doing a post WWIII scenario where it is left to the survivors to do clean up and create a new way of life.

Ok off to take a much needed nap...

You're really hung up on this WW3 thing aren't you. I get it's a hot topic, but I'm so sick of all the WW3 talk on the boards. It's just too much.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I do have one question about the format. Something like an H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" radio script? We could really go crazy with that, radio reports coming in from different cities. I can already see some flashy story titles that will have the newbies commenting even with the standard [xxxxx] denotation.

I think you may be onto something there. Seeing as we are all over the shop in terms of location, how about a 'WW3 from your own backyard.' People seem to know their own areas and the people from those areas well, and could write a good summation of how a global event affects a local populace and how their own backyard fares in terms of a global war...

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I think I'd like something to do with Star ships or Star Gates I have no idea why this came to mind to me right off the bat. Sounds a bit corny typing it out.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
How about we write a story of the ancient advanced past. It's another interesting ATS topic, that seems to get little light.

Write about the last advanced civilization on Earth, before modern time. You can be creative in their demise, or skip that part all together and make the story how ever you please. It's an interesting Angle, still up for much creativity.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I kinda like the ancient past idea, but we need to toss in a Time Machine. With that theme we can have people visiting different times, creating anomalies that are fixed by other people. Sort of a good guy/bad guy scenario, with perhaps a few TMs in operation. That'd be a pickle of a story line, with the writers involved needing to iron out all the logical inconsistencies in different timelines.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Hijinx

I kinda like the ancient past idea, but we need to toss in a Time Machine. With that theme we can have people visiting different times, creating anomalies that are fixed by other people. Sort of a good guy/bad guy scenario, with perhaps a few TMs in operation. That'd be a pickle of a story line, with the writers involved needing to iron out all the logical inconsistencies in different timelines.

If you were able to pull it off, you could play it to your advantage. With every potential change in time, an entire new world is created taking place after that point in time, everything before it would be linear, but after the changes the entire story changes. A single drop in the pond ripples outwards until the edge of the pond. Given time is such a vast expression, that edge itself could change from seemingly insignificant events in the past, that opened a new course of actions, and so on and so on. It would be messy, a little chaotic, but a general theme is all that would be needed.

For instance as you say, a Time machine, one, two, or three potential characters to use said machine. It could be happened upon by someone by mistake but they could then become the pilot(?) of the time machine.

I think that could be neat.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join