It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Blank Theme" Writing Contest -- Writers Please Opine!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yup gonna try and sell it to the game makers

It is a great genre, to think Gibson came up with stuff 25-30 years ago and wow just reading the old roleplay books is scary... it is all coming to pass

edit on 5-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks both! This would definitely be uncharted territory to me.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Most of mine are edited too, 1. because I think faster than I type and 2. because I'm never happy with what I wrote the first time, 3. I always forget additional information or another point.
edit on 5-4-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

I like it already! I want to know what your solutions are!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Unchartered for me too! Sounds like a challenge for me, I've never written anything in that format. It is much more structured than what I am used to. But it would give me a chance to practice with another type of writing. War is such a huge theme, I would have to really think about how I would craft a interesting story out of it.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ah, now, that would be spilling the beans. I'll spill one bean - let's just say one solution, tried in haste, to provide drinking water to people of drought-striken regions would be to capture geothermal steam and extract water from there. Good idea? Could be...then again.....

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by beezzer

You will have NO trouble with your quick wit and sharp tongue. It is like getting to be "it" every time in a game. Every part is yours to think act and play.

Thank you very much!

I'd be behind a screenplay/radio format!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Aren't there restrictions as to who or when members can join chat?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I like the idea of a screenplay/radio format Ive never done that kind of writing before I'm not sure i can even do it but i like the idea of a challenge..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I believe the current requirement is 150 posts to be able to get into chat.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thanks, that's quite low.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
My first post yay.

I would miss the reading of a story if it would become a screenplay so why not both?

Either way as topic i would suggest a somewhat more illusive theme, so background can be chosen by the artist. My suggestion would be "The realisation of the illusions we created for ourself"

So that could be anything, a private coping with mental issues on the battlefield, a false rapture, the bankingsystem, the 6th version of WWIII, yay we did survive 2012 or bummer nothing happened 2012.

Now I'm heading to my lurking stage

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I told myself I wouldn't post on ATS anymore. I'll leave it at this: I won't post outside of Metaphysics, UFOs, and Creative writing.

The theme?

The conscious dream of the subjective mind.

We write about our perfect world, with our individual tastes, ideals, and visions intertwined into the fictional landscape. We can describe how the world made it there, how it appears, or just give the day int he life of some average citizen within our dream scape.

EDIT: Why? So that we may share our psychological constructs with one another sans combative vitriol and disrespect. It will foster understanding and openness between poster. And who knows, the writer may just learn something about themselves.
edit on 5-4-2013 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NugGiNFutzZ

149 posts to go and you will hear it. I actually like your theme, but I'm not an avid writer...yet...so the easier the theme the better for me.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, March was a bad month for me, so I'm looking to make April a tad better.

I like the radio script writing idea a lot. For the theme I'd suggest something generalized enough that everyone can put their own spin on it, say teotwawki, and let the writers fill in the www3 aspects, a zombie apocalypse, North Korean nukes, or even global economic collapse.

An interesting venture would perhaps be to script in ATS member meet ups, strangers on the road who suddenly realize by a slip of the tongue what their usernames were.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
How about a theme involving the person who purchases the last commercially available gallon of gas produced from oil?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I had a couple of ideas.

The first is a choose-your-own adventure style collaborative effort, where each person writes a chapter or mini-saga, and leaves two options at the bottom for the next writer to pursue. We can either have a "what would happen if" path a/path b, where people write their own continuation of the story and just see where it ends up. Kind of like the 'three word story' thread on an expanded scale.

As for a topic? Well, given how ATSers tended to find each other, even given the blackout or regardless of whether our ATS was available or not, why don't we do an ATS style left behind style story? How people tend to find each other regardless in the blackout of the world, and their reactions towards each other and how they get along.

Given the average ATSer is a bit of a paranoia freak, I think it would be interesting to see how reactions between members could play out. Of course it would need a collaborative effort, interest and of course approval from each person involved in each chapter, and perhaps could be organised into one complete thread rather than individual threads, with the most stars instead of the most flags going to the winners this month.

Just a thought.

edit on 6/4/2013 by 74Templar because: spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Its not a hard theme i guess just look around and filter between self imposed truths and actual truth.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

I do think it odd that when ATS went down from the ddos attack, that we didn't just mindlessly click refresh. I searched, and found the isitdownrightnoworisitjustme site, but since I don't have FB, I couldn't comment. I read for updates.

When Just Chris set up the "backup" forum, I was there, and other members pitched in info. FB users started a group, ATS Downtime, and together, in separate areas on the interwebz, we kept ATS alive in our own way.

ATS is a powerful meme. The letters have spirit to them, and invoke pride within members.

This contest should be related to ATS pride, adversity, and........

........we have until Monday.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

It's like a dysfunctional family of epic proportions. There are our fearless leaders(site owners and admins), our lawmakers (Mods), our strange uncles and aunts, our groups, clicks, you name it (the rest of us), it's almost impossible not to find a little niche in which to fit in around here. It truly is a community.

Seeing ATS down and how people dealt with that sudden disconnection was an interesting experiment to watch. I have failbook, but was far too paranoid to risk putting myself out there. A few faces and names I recognised, a few stood out very much overall, but it showed;
a) We are truly a family here, and nothing can separate that, not even some doofus with a technical attack;

and b) We are all very hopelessly addicted to this place and the sanity/lack thereof it brings.....

Another addition to the idea is similar to the left behind theory, but people are either trapped or can only communicate via this site or a small portion of the web. What would we do? Would we make a concious effort to band together outside this realm, or would we become completely virtual?

The possibilities are endless, as is the collabaration, which really is what family is about.

The strangest thing? The day of the DDOS attacks I was all set to send Tenth a U2U outlining a few ideas for future writing comps, including the ones above. The day eluded me, and I just never got back to it. Kinda strange given the topic of this thread....
edit on 6/4/2013 by 74Templar because: ETA

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join