Pope Francis calls for 'Decisive Action' Against Sex Abuse Priests

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by csimon

I realize this may be going off topic, but why allow him to participate in Confession at all?
This is an arcane practice that allowed the church to get dirt on people so they would have more power anyways.
You're best to teach your son that he can talk to God directly and do his own prayers and Rosaries to absolve his sins.
Besides, when I participated in Confessions, the priest was on the other side of a wall with a small window we spoke through, so I don't see the threat there anyways. Glad to hear you're being cautious though.

I remember the small confession window, however it was at my school back in the mid seventies that face-to-face confession was introduced as an alternate option.

You didn't see the threat because it was occurring on the opposite side of the wall, or in the rectory, or the sacristy, or wherever....

In my opinion, this "Decisive Action" is long overdue. Perhaps I can start taking the Catholic church serious again after all these years, but it just seems like too little too late.
edit on 5-4-2013 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

he is acting just how the "last" pope is predicted to act. He needs support from the sheeple to come back to the beloved church. something is amiss here

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I see a short reign for this Pope.

I believe there are those who don't want anymore worms out of the can. They just want this to disappear, without the fanfare. MHO.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7

I'm not sure the catholic church would risk getting rid of a pope that people actually support, even if they disagree with him.

Not to mention the damage it would do to the morale of catholics in general if they needed another election so quickly.

I tend to agree with your assessment.

As a former Catholic, he has restored a little faith in me through his words so far.

I look forward to seeing him in action, and pray for his safety.

S/F, flyersfan

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sd211212

I'm a little confused (aren't I always?)

He needs support from the sheeple to come back to the beloved church. something is amiss here
Why? Why does he need people to come back to the Church? If everybody (exaggeration) thinks the Pope is swimming in money in the underground vaults, what is his need?

Oh, as an aside, where is that prediction of which you speak?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
F that! I say install soundproofing on the confessionals and hand out vaseline to the priests!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Afterthought

The first thing he should do is raise the age of consent in Vatican City from 12 to 16.
I would put that as # 832 on my list of things to do as a Pope. Not coincidentally, that's the population of Vatican City. How many people under 16 do you think we're dealing with?

Further, there is a real question about 12 as the age of consent. I know it's only Wiki, but it makes sense

The "Law of the Source of Law" of the Vatican State requires that any Italian laws must first defer to divine law, to Papal decrees, and to canon law. As the Vatican understands divine law, all sex outside of marriage is illicit, and therefore the only lawful consent that may be made for sexual relations is the consent between a husband and a wife. Canon 1083 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law states that "A man before he has completed his sixteenth year of age and a woman before she has completed her fourteenth year of age cannot enter into a valid marriage." Thus, assuming the couple is married, the minimum age of consent for lawful sexual relations according to Vatican law is 14 for females, and 16 for males. (Emphasis added)

en.wikipedia.org...

Tell you one thing, I would not let my 12 year old have a sleep over in the Vatican. For another, what is the problem with raising the age of consent in the Vatican? The answer is very simple. As long as it is only Church law it is only the Church who slaps the perpetrator's wrists. No long jail time or any of that nastiness.

That wiki article is information circulated by the church. Believe it if you will, it is rubbish. The new Pope could raise the age of consent with a few words. So, why doesn't he, and don't say because it is not necessary, history shows otherwise.

Remember also that the Laws of the Vatican hold sway across the world in all of the Churches 'Embassies'.

P

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Dear pheonix358,

Thank you for encouraging me to check on facts and reconsider my thinking. That's always valuable.

That wiki article is information circulated by the church. Believe it if you will, it is rubbish. The new Pope could raise the age of consent with a few words. So, why doesn't he, and don't say because it is not necessary, history shows otherwise.
I went looking someplace that couldn't have been influenced by the Church and found this in the London Progressive Journal:

The following is the text of Peter Tatchell's speech to the Sex and the Law conference in Sheffield on 23 September 2010, organised the Centre for HIV and Sexual Health.

In about 20 European nations, the age of consent is lower than 16. The minimum age (with some qualifications) is, for example, 13 in Spain; 14 in Germany, Austria, Portugal, Italy and the Vatican (where it was 12 until very recently); and 15 in France and Poland. There is no evidence that these lower ages result in more teen pregnancies, sexual infections or child abuse.
Notice that Italy, which surrounds Vatican City, has the same age of consent (14). No one seems to be complaining about all the other countries with the same age of consent as Vatican City, or even younger. Also note that the speaker points out that there is no evidence that a lower age of consent has an effect on child abuse.
londonprogressivejournal.com...

Tell you one thing, I would not let my 12 year old have a sleep over in the Vatican.
Would you let them go to Spain?

For another, what is the problem with raising the age of consent in the Vatican?
Italians have chosen 14. Most of the citizens of Vatican City are Italians. Doesn't seem unreasonable that the age would be the same.

The answer is very simple. As long as it is only Church law it is only the Church who slaps the perpetrator's wrists. No long jail time or any of that nastiness.
How in the world can you know that? What citizen of Vatican City has been accused of child abuse in Vatican City? And if any have been, which I doubt, how do you know what happened to them?

Remember also that the Laws of the Vatican hold sway across the world in all of the Churches 'Embassies'.
No reason to put embassies in quotes. The Church does have embassies, just like all other countries. The embassy of any country is considered territory of that country. I don't see the point. Unless, perhaps you think a church building is an embassy. It isn't and Vatican City has no legal authority there.

Would you please present your point differently? There doesn't seem to be any support for the argument as you have presented it.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
They need him. To save face, to regain public support and start anew. It was a must for the future of the Church. I truly hope that he lives up to people's expectations, as he is a Jesuit and they have a long history of living with the poor and dying for just causes. I sincerely hope he exposes the real corruption and allows the Church to begin again. A real Jesuit would, no matter what the cost to himself.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

This doesn't really mean anything and thus far is only a continuation of his predecessors policies. Tough words on child molestation but no decisive action.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Have no doubt decisive action will be taken. It will be sudden, it will be swift, and it will be final. It will be shocking. And perhaps sooner than many anticipate.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It says that the decisive action includes 'due process against those who are guilty'. I take that as to say ... 'no shuffling them around ... have the law prosecute them'.

However he also says "Francis said the department should continue to "act decisively as far as cases of sexual abuse"

Continue to act decisively? That means continue to cover it up and move the priests that are caught around to fiddle new kids, just like they are doing now!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
"Bend over, and be grateful for what you are about to receive", that is all I can think of (disturbingly, with a heavy Scottish accent)... I was told by a high ranking British (ex) military officer ( I made a thread on this somewhere) that this new pope was brought in to prepare us for troubling times ahead. Now, with NK threats, the sex abuse scandal and other things going on. One of the things the guy mentioned was disarming the American public, and that a strong pope was going to be needed for whatever was going to happen (next year, 2014). Is America a predominantly catholic nation?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkcaw
This begs the question: was infiltration a plot to undermine the RCC? .

Honestly I don't think so. Pedophiles look for good hunting grounds. Their best hunting grounds are churches and schools. Places where they can be in position of authority and trust over children. That's my opinion anyways ....

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
I realize this may be going off topic, but why allow him to participate in Confession at all? This is an arcane practice that allowed the church to get dirt on people so they would have more power anyways.

Confession is a sacrament of the Church based on scripture interpretation. It's a part of the faith.

Originally posted by sd211212
he is acting just how the "last" pope is predicted to act. He needs support from the sheeple to come back to the beloved church. something is amiss here

So when the church does bad .. something is amiss. And when they get a good pope in who is trying to clean up .. something is amiss. I guess no matter what, they are wrong?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Come on over hur hun, let me sprinkle some of my holy water on yaw

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I applaud him for trying, but I find the catholic mass as a whole to be somewhat, creepy. Trust me, I was a little altar boy back in the day, baptized and everything.

Now that I'm old enough to really think about the sacrifice and resurrection, there is something amiss there as well. I saw a BBC documentary about how he may have actually physically resurrected, only to run away to Tibet or something like that. I think if you have any real understanding of reality and 'god', it just seems strange how he stresses worship through him and only through him. I understand idol worship in mans own image, but come on.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Doomcake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I feel a heart attack coming his way If he doesn't go after the Vatican Bankers he may be alright, but if he tries to redistribute the wealth he will be clutching his chest in his bed chambers.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Why he has to "call for action". Why he does not simply act.

This "Popism" is the biggest religious show on Earth.

All current religions in this World are false. Every single religion is a result of vile King collaborating with greedy priests. There is nothing more to it. They weave an elaborate net of words to trap the ignorant souls. The result is nothing but hell for each soul that is promised "heaven", while the whole Earth burns due to misdeeds of powerful.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I agree with you 100%, and I'm glad that they are scared...they should be! This Pope actually has me interested in going back to Mass.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join