It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brits should not have a right to free speech

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Everything is...you seen our "Gas" prices?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by alldaylong

Originally posted by txinfidel
reply to post by HelenConway

I usually dont carry. But I have one to protect from home invasion etc which is quite common in these parts. Sometimes I bring one in the car with me, just in case something goes down.

But yes, during the revolutionary war, the Brits did try to get us to disarm. It never happened though.

Point of order. During The War Of Independence, both sides where "Brit's" The inhabitants of the 13 Colonies where British Subjects.

I said that early which is why it arguably was a civil war..

The last battle of The English Civil War was actually fought on what is now American soil:_

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

That is really interesting - thank you for that reference, I did not know that.
I have heard people seriously argue that the American Civil War has its roots in many ways in the English Civil War also ... I will try to find the article and post it here.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk... by Ed West.

The English civil war, the American Revolution and the American civil war were three engagements in a single continuing struggle. One side, victorious in all three episodes, was made up of radicals, Puritans and entrepreneurs, the other of High Church Anglicans, conservatives and landowners. It was the triumph of the Protestant and revolutionary party which ushered in the English-speaking golden age which we are now privileged to inhabit [ D, Hannan]

edit on 5-4-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yes I have, it blew my mind.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by txinfidel

I follow what you're saying and I appreciate it. Trouble is, different nations develop different cultures and have a range of ways of dealing with various issues.

[EDIT: ] I meant to mention that the following is to illustrate the point of freedoms. In speech or other freedoms that we may discuss. In this case, the argument that the right of Americans to bear arms gives British and other people a certain level of safety is not the real issue. The main thing is what we feel and what matters about saying what we feel, that being the subject of the OP. Okay, so to proceed... [END EDIT]

In this case, having read the US Constitution, my understanding is that the second amendment was put in place for good reasons and so for the USA, it is the law about bearing arms. Frankly I don't like to see its intent being eroded for political purposes by some at the expense of many.

Of course there need to be some restrictions. If a person is a known felon, it would be crazy to let them go and buy guns without at least checking if they are likely to stay within the law once they have them. Same goes for people with serious mental problems.

But whittling down what can and cannot be owned by millions of law-abiding citizens, and have been legally owned by them for years? That's what I see as the real issue here. You in the USA have a culture that has been built over years, to include that right you hold so dear. Some see your right to bear arms as a negative, some see it as needful.

I see it as your right and whether it's a good thing or not is impossible for me to be sure about because I don't live there and so there are many aspects of your culture that I don't comprehend.

But I do understand this: if the US Powers-That-Be truly believe the 2nd amendment's wording needs to be altered and that the right it guarantees needs to be drastically curtailed, then they should use the legal process in place to change it. And any proposed changes to it should be put to a vote in Congress (as required by the Constitution), then, if passed, ratified by the required number of US states (as also required by the Constitution).

But until or if that is ever done, then the spirit of that law should be upheld. It doesn't matter if I like that law or not. It's your Law of the Land and it should be respected.

That's my opinion on this matter as a non-American. But what I think doesn't matter at all. It doesn't affect the outcome. Because I am not an American citizen and have no power to vote Congress members in or out of office. I am only saying what I think, and even if I felt the complete opposite, then I'd have just as much right to say so.

And though some will strongly disagree with my opinion, it doesn't bother me at all, because if they argue with me they're wasting their breath. Americans and only Americans will ultimately have to decide how to deal with issue. They can hear opinions from others and consider them, or ignore them completely. It's their decision, not mine or any non-Americans'.

All we wish for is the right to have our say, because that's a right that all should have. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if we disagree with you, because only you and your fellow Americans can do anything about the 2nd amendment issue.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 5/4/13 by JustMike because: Fixed coding glitch and corrected "congress" to "Congress", added an Edit

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Everything is...you seen our "Gas" prices?

It's not known as 'Rip-off Britain' for nothing. That's why so many foreign companies now provide our gas (I know that's not the 'gas' you referred to!) and electricity and can make an extra 50% in year during 'austerity', by ripping off Britain.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I guess " Brits" will stop having opinion's and commenting on US gun law issue's the same day that you guy's from the US stop having opinion's on and commenting about our Royal family and tell us how we should do away with them....I won't hold my breath for either.

It's not all a one way street....if you're going to make it a UK v US thing then American's are just as guilty in expressing their opinion's and telling us what they feel we are doing wrong or should be doing.

Personally I value the opinion's of other's from other countries even if I don't always agree...I think there is room to learn something from each other. There are going to be certain thing's that we don't agree on in the whole because of different histories and culture's...but how boring would it be if we all came on here with the same background's, belief's, experience's and idea's about the world? Answering my own question, I would get pretty bored pretty damn quick!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Really? Because its not happened before in history has it?
Could you repeat the question?

reply to post by BrokenCircles

The UK is open for the taking. Almost any nation could invade and have their way with you if it weren't for countries like the US having your backs.
The US gains the bravery of being out of range.
The UK has not been afforded such a privilege.

P.S. What's with the 'you' & 'your'?
I don't know who you're talking to.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Seriously?

This Brit couldn't give a monkeys what you think.

How about you come off that pedestal and start understanding that other nationalities are perfectly entitled to have an opinion on your culture, in the same manner as so many US posters seem to want to have opinions on everyone else's - including British culture.

How can you claim to be American, and then try and advocate restricting someones freedoms because they don't suit you?

The USA is part of the world. The world is not the USA. Deal with it.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Meh. You Brits shouldn't take it too hard. I live in the US and often get told basically the same thing whenever I try to discuss my views on things like social conscience or unchecked corporatism. Personally I blame the MTV...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
is it true all english people are hugh grant?

trivia: i started typing this post on a plate.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
is it true all english people are hugh grant?

trivia: i started typing this post on a plate.

no that's not correct....but this vid should explain a few more fact's about English society

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

The citizens right to bear arms didn't ensure Britain's security during WWII (I'm assuming that is what you're talking about). It was the governments massive military acquisition that did. I'm sorry but a few million non-military trained US citizens are not going to protect any country from a state military, especially considering citizens don't have massive artillery pieces, tanks and air support.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
We can bear arms I have a gunsmiths just down the road from me.

It is just we have to have a criminal background check and a decent reason for owning one.

I used to think you were all mad for your gun laws but after many sane USAers on ATS discussed on the reasons I changed my mind.
But we are allowed an opinion on an international site so....

Much like here in Canada we too have guns but require a criminal record check every day done by the rcmp . I am am often told to shut up because i know nothing about guns and ramble on about how our guns were taken away .
then told to shut up because I don't live there .

But yet who's country sticks their nose and military everywhere on a crusade to save the world ( well now days seems like the whole west is ) not to mention how connected we are economically we are all more or less in for the same ride , we all need to be critical of each other governments as our own governments and each other what the hell is wrong with you to suggest oppression on a country .

but as for the love of guns in america i guess some common sense is an attack on the constitution they need these for duck hunting and for protection from home invaders

edit on 5/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Wow, this is insane. Anyone from any country can voice their opinion and everyone has an opinion on gun control, free speech and free will is something everyone is entitled too. You can't just single out British people. Some things you have said are borderline racist and almost hateful and it's the first time I've seen it on ATS

Everyone has an opinion on gun control because it's a touchy subject, even if us Brits did 'butt out' someone else would step in and give you their opinion anyway, the same way you have voiced your opinion on here.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Everyone everywhere should enjoy the freedoms to comment on whatever they wish.

The OP, (forgive if this sounds harsh) sounds like some of the extremist islamists whom state that people should not comment on Mohammed.

If folks in the UK have a opinion, share it.
If folks in the US have an opinion, share it.
If folks in Australia have an opinion, share it.
If you're Dutch, shut the hell up! (jk
)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I'm one of the people who don't understand the American public's need to possess firearms,
and regularly air my views on A.T.S, and am of course criticised for it.

I'm not so much concerned with your RIGHT to bear arms, as to why you feel the NEED to have
guns at all. Who are you afraid of ? ( Each other, presumably ? )

( I've got to have a gun because if I have'nt, my barmy neighbour who has a gun might shoot me,
and I need to defend myself.)

No, it's not that, I need an assault rifle for hunting and target practice ( ??? ) you stupid Brit !
( Of course, silly me ! )

What a way to have to live...in fear of each other.

You gotta ask yourself a question..Is it really worth it ?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

I was blessed with the gift of growing up in Britain and America.. As a gun owner, perhaps I can provide some insight.

We don't own guns due to fear. We own guns because we enjoy being self-reliant.

If someone broke into our home, police would be called to take away the criminal. Protection would be my responsibility.

If my family was hungry, I have the ability to provide food instead of going to the store or government for food. Providing would be my responsibility.

If my government went rogue, since it is my government, I would have the responsibility to respond to any action of law that circumvented the US Constitution.
Government would be my responsibility.

It's not fear that drives us. But a sense of responsibility.

*cheers*

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Fair enough?

Sounds fairly un-American to me, perhaps thou should groweth thicker skin?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

With respect, beezzer, I like Americans, I like most of their culture. It's just the gun thing...

If you live in the outback, I can understand having a rifle to hunt. Even using that argument,
the wildlife of America could not possibly support a fraction of the population hunting for food,
regularly ? And large chunks of the population live miles from the countryside, but have still
got to have guns...

As for the government going rogue, wouldn't the U.S. armed forces and legions of security
agencies be used to suppress any armed insurrection from the general public ?
O.k. This is why you have guns, as per the Constitution I suspect that chaos would likely ensue,
And everyone ends up dead....?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join