It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am ashamed of my home state of Connecticut right now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I am ashamed of my home state of Connecticut right now. For the last few months our politicians have been using dead children shamelessly to push this so-called assault weapons ban, and in the words of Chicago mayor Rahn Emanuel, they haven't failed to let this serious crisis go to waste and it gave them an opportunity to do things they couldn't do before. The assault weapon part is only what you've heard. Here are the parts you haven't heard-

-The Connecticut General Assembly is completely controlled by the governor''s Democrat party and they have rubber stamped everything he ever asked, including the largest tax increase in the state's history as well as his massive spending program to the point where the state has to borrow money just for operating expenses. He's touting he had bipartisan support but in reality he had only maybe five Republicans supporting this bill. Just as many Democrats voted against the bill.

-FYI this is the same governor who passed a law hiding how bad the state's finances were until AFTER the election, so that the voters wouldn't use his spendthift policies as a factor against Democrat candidates.

--The governor misrepresented the need for this bill to get emergency cetification, which allowed his bill to bypass the public safety commission to weed out the mistakes, bypass the committee to check to see if it's even constitutional, and send it directly to the general assembly for approval...or shoudl I say, rubber stamping.

-The governor originally set up his own committee to research the feasibility of the laws he wanted...but when they broke down from being unable to come to a consensus he simply decided to ignore his OWN committee and he went ahead anyway.

-The parts about the assault weapons bad are just the NICE parts. He just calls it an assault weapon ban to get people to support it. It ALSO includes ban on magazines that hold more than ten rounds, and current owners have to register them. HOW THE FLIP DO YOU REGISTER A GUN MAGAZINE? It also makes it a felony to even possess ammunition unless you have a government issued permit. My mother who's holding onto my deceased father's deer rifle and ammunition to keep his memory alive is now a felon. Seriously!

-Here's a bit of brilliance- if you have one of these registered magazines and you put it in another gun you bought after the ban goes into effect, even if it's the exact same model of firearm, you're still a felon. It's lietrally that retarded.

-Then there's the most mind blowingly phony bit of all- The governor is specifically allowing manufacturers in the state who make these things to continue making them for sale to people in other states. If these items are as dangerous as the governor says they are, is he saying he doesn't care if these things instigate mass murder in other states?

All last year and all this year I've been trying to tell people that these Democrat candidates they're voting for are poison and yet they mindlessly swallow everythign they say liek sheep without even bothering to see what they're even doing. Yes there are probably poisionous Republican candidates elsewhere but here in Connecticut it's the Democrats who are poisonous. Case in point- as soon as one of these candidates was elected he proposed a bill outlawing all firearms that can contain more than ONE round. Double barrelled shotguns, deer rifles, all banned. You can keep the ones you have as long as you belong to a gun club...the nearest of which costs $1600 per year to join. Apparently in Connecticut only rich people are allowed to have the second amendment right.

Anyone who seriously thinks that registering magazines and making elderly mothers into felons was meant to prevent school shootings and not harass law abiding citizens with ridiculous red tape is an idiot. The complete and utter gullibility of people here who are mindlessly swallowing the governor's propaganda to conceal his using the state as his personal plaything goes beyond the pale. Once upon a time the rule of thumb everyone followed was "question authority". Nowadays, it's deteriorated into "believe any damned fool thing the politicians tell us". What the heck happened?

I am ashamed of my home state of Connectucut right now.
edit on 5-4-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
And what they forget 'Not surprising' is that these laws would of done nothing to stop what happened.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I am truly sorry Connecticut already had some of the toughest gun laws already on the books that did nothing to stop that shooting. those news laws will do nothing to stop the next one.

When people look to government the state in this case they are looking in the wrong places.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

Nothing to be ashamed of ! Any legislation that takes assault rifles / large magazine guns
off the streets must be good ?

Why on earth would any sane civilian need an assault rifle, or any weapon with a large
magazine ?

Hopefully, as a prelude to eventually removing all guns from private ownership. ( It won't
happen, and people will continue to be killed, accidentally or deliberately, by people who
should never be allowed to own them. )

Yes, I know, the Americans " Right to bear arms " and all that nonsense, quite a price
Is paid for this " Right " ( ? )

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

Nothing to be ashamed of ! Any legislation that takes assault rifles / large magazine guns

Why on earth would any sane civilian need an assault rifle, or any weapon with a large
magazine ?

Hopefully, as a prelude to eventually removing all guns from private ownership. ( It won't
happen, and people will continue to be killed, accidentally or deliberately, by people who

Yes, I know, the Americans " Right to bear arms " and all that nonsense, quite a price
Look, we get it. You love to bend over for the crown. Good for you.
We colonists decided that we did not love the crown so much.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If you were born there you should have seen this coming by the time you hit junior high.

I think I was 11 or 12 when I saw where that state was headed and left as soon as I could afford it.

There is absolutely nothing in CT worth staying for. NOTHING. Job, friends, family, whatever. Just leave and never EVER go back.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I wish i could curse, it adds a lot more stress relief.

It's so nice this particular school shooting, like Columbine and V-Tech, got so much publicity. Constant calls of people to "CHANGE" and "MAKE CHANGE" and "WE NEED TO CHANGE THINGS NOW'

They don't say how, because they don't know, and the people that do know won't say and instead use these sorts of things because the how actually is stupid.

I want you to look at something:
en.wikipedia.org...

There are 9 incidents, NINE. This is AFTER the mass hysteria that surrounds the Sandy Hook shooting. 6 dead. But that doesn't matter, does it?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Don't get me wrong here ! I like America, and most aspects of your culture,
but you are right, I don't " Get " the gun thing "

No disrespect intended...peace, man....And I'm sure Connecticut really is a great place to live...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

.And I'm sure Connecticut really is a great place to live...

It is if you're really, really rich or really, really poor. If you're working for a living it's the worst state in the union to live in. Everything is either the most expensive in the country or top three. Food, lodging, taxes, fuel, fees, fines... and if it exists in any physical tangible form you need a dozen permits to even touch it and a dozen more if you want to use it regardless of what it is.

CT, for the average person, is a torturous hellscape.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Fair comment, and thanks for putting me right...appreciated !

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ignore the right hand waving "gun control" for a moment and look what the left hand slid into the bill. The scariest part that I see so far is the first item under the fresh new "deadly weapon offenses" list.

report on sb1160 (new gun control laws)

Table 1 lists the offenses the bill designates as deadly weapon offenses.

Table 1: Deadly Weapon Offenses

Interference with the legislative process 2-1e(c)

Possessing or carrying a handgun where prohibited by law or the person who owns or exercises control over the premises 29-28(e)

Sell or otherwise transfer handgun to ineligible person, violation of transfer procedures 29-33(a) to (e)

Failure to document handgun transfer with DESPP 29-33(e)

etc...

"Interference with the legislative process" is now a deadly weapon offense and will get you listed as a deadly weapon offender?

Say whaaaat?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

magazine ?

Since you are a habitual user of the gun control placebo it may interest you to know that despite your glorious gun ban you have over in the UK, violent crime has skyrocketed within the last decade. This isn't make believe internet propaganda, this is coming from your own news agencies-

Daily Mirror: Culture of violence- UK gun crime rises 89% in a decade

This is because the simpletons in the UK parliament repeatedly ignored what we in the US already know- the problem has never been with the guns, the problem is with the criminals, specifically, gangs and gang violence. Street gangs who have no difficulty obtaining illegal drugs will certainly have no difficulty obtaining illegal weapons and it is absurd to claim otherwise. Although I admit this does not prove there's a correlation between guns and lower crime rates, it definitely does proves that gun control does absolutely nothing to stop crime and it is an outright lie to claim otherwise. Punishing law abiding gun owners for the acts of criminals is like trying to stop the fox from killing the chickens by beating the family dog. What manner of fool would seriously suggest we just need to beat the dog a little harder?

Rather than disproving what I've said, you pretty much proved my point that people are suckers for a good tall tale or two from their politicians more often than they should be these days. What makes it especially ironic...or especially phony, depending on how you look at it...is that the mayor who was most vocal in the law's passage ALSO testified in a public hearing that three quarters of the homicide in his city was from inner city gang violence. Big brother is here, and it is retarded.
edit on 5-4-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Look, we get it. You love to bend over for the crown. Good for you. We colonists decided that we did not love the crown so much.
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Are you kidding? Americans love the Royal Family more than the British.

Seriously though, where was the protest when Bessie and Rothie took massive shares in the Federal Reserve?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Since you are a habitual user of the gun control placebo it may interest you to know that despite your glorious gun ban you have over in the UK, violent crime has skyrocketed within the last decade. This isn't make believe internet propaganda, this is coming from your own news agencies-

Oh it isn't internent propaganda, oh wait it's an online Daily Fail article parroting government information. So yes, it is. As you can see the comments section is filled with Americans who have easily bought it.

repeatedly ignored what we in the US already know- the problem has never been with the guns, the problem is with the criminals, specifically, gangs and gang violence.

You already know that? So why are US crime rates so much higher? Shouldn't having lax guns laws mean the US in general should have relatively few gun crimes?

new topics

top topics

join