It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More US Deployments

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Ya know dude, I am not one to harp on a subject usually, but you you announced to the entire world a small movement of our strategic air forces. Just because you can doesnt neccesarily mean you should ya know?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It's not just the quieter that led to the continued use of diesel boats. Because for several generations after nuclear boats were starting to enter service, diesel boats were still noisier than nuclear boats. It wasn't until they developed AIP capabilities, and the ability to stay under for long periods of time without snorkeling that they truly came into their own. But most countries didn't have the technology, the expertise, or the money for nuclear powered subs. So they kept developing diesel boats, and made them better and better and better. Nuclear boats are expensive, and require expensive piers to dock at.

It's not just the shooting at with nuclear missiles that can cause environmental damage though. Thresher and Scorpion both have left nuclear torpedoes, as well as reactors at the bottom (that's only from the US, not counting Soviet/Russian accidents). Eventually the reactor casing will corrode and leak through and it's going to irradiate the area around it.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by unsteadystate

Uhm, no I didn't. It was announced other places before I told about it here, so it was already out there several hours at least before it was here. There are a number of things that I know of that are happening that HAVEN'T been put up here. I understand OPSEC, and I follow it, even though I don't have to.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Funny thing about almost everyone who's ever signed a secrecy agreement, we all still kind of abide by it, even way after it's expiration....(probably mostly because we know it could endanger friends and loved ones of ours).

Everything in this thread has been reported by mainstream media, somewhere. Even the carrier info (vague as it is) is reported, though admittedly, is usually harder to find.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My parents have a friend that flies C-17s out of Hickam as part of the Active/Guard unit there. He'll be one of the first on the way if they mobilize the 25th out of Schofield. The last thing I'm going to do is post something that's going to put him at risk.

But you're right, there's so much people I talk to know, that even though they can, they won't tell me, just because they signed the agreement, which in several cases expired quite awhile ago.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by GargIndia
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The US can still fail to defend South Korea despite best intentions.

If even one nuke goes through and destroys SK city; there will be a feeling afterwards that US did not deploy anti-missile systems despite having them, and thus left the security of SK to chance.

North Korea has estimates (supplied by defectors back into the 90's) of 6-10 *MINUTES* for Seoul to be in ruins and able to overrun and bypass for the Dash to the Southern Coast and physical conquest of the land area. U.S./Allied reports I've read from the same recent past and dealing with the same tactical situation as they face today estimate 60 *MINUTES* for the ruin of Seoul. There is nothing the U.S. can do to stop that unless the North is either riddled with potential defectors who short circuit that whole thing ...or their ammo fails to function. I'm not betting on either.

No one is ever doing anything but a full and 100% defense of the ROK, IMO.

A unknown amount of stealth drones, ATACMS and hundreds, perhaps thousands of cruise missiles dropping cluster munitions would take that artillery out pretty fast. Some nukes detonated on the mountains just inside North Korea would bury most who is hiding in them and wipe out any troops outside. Any others would piss themselves and refuse to fight knowing North Korea will not exist anymore. Do it when the wind is right and the South will be OK as we have detonated many just outside of Vegas.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Yep, I've got friends, family, and acquaintances in pretty much every branch of the armed forces, and even a few alphabet agencies. Further friends and family that once were. Puts us sometimes a little more in the know, but not much, and there's always fibbers in the bunch....

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

Nukes detonated just inside North Korea??

Seoul city limits are less than 30 miles from where you would be dropping nuclear weapons in your scenario.

You scare me with talk like that and I hope for the sake of millions....our planners aren't even on that page of thinking.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I always used to love when someone who was former military would sit there telling me about some "cool new system" or something they worked on. I'd usually stand there nodding, going "cool", thinking "you're an IDIOT, I've worked on that, and you aren't even close."

But that's why I try to be very careful with sources, and try hard not to post anything that I can't confirm myself (with one or two interesting exceptions that were confirmed after).

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

My father was probably the worst...never could tell whether he was egging me on, or being serious. I remember him talking about VTOL Raptors and I thought he was nuts..but....

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Was it on this thread we talked about the two NK subs missing?

Something came to mind. What’s to stop one of those subs from doing a suicide run, pop up in the middle of San Francisco bay or San Diego and detonating an A-bomb on board. Sure the crew will die but they don’t need sophisticated lunch platforms at that point.

SF would be the easiest target. Those loony’s banned all navy ships from that bay decades ago in the name of “peace”

I hope on the way in the NK see the Nuclear Free Zone sign. " op, guess we cant blow the bomb here, its a Nuclear Free Zone"
edit on 8-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My father had the BEST stories to tell. I put a ton of them in the "There I Was" thread in Aviation. Dear god he had some...adventures out on the ramp.
He never had to try to pull a fast one, because he had probably seen it all, from the Crew Chief that grounded the flare dispenser (before emptying it), to the B-52 that shot at its crew chief, to just about everything in between.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Range. The Whiskey (which was apparently retired in 2011 or so) had a 6000 mile range at 13 knots, the Romeo has a similar range (9000 miles) at 9 knots. That's a long time, and it's noisy, as both have to snorkel, and are 50s era designs. Nothing else that they have can even get remotely close to the US.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join