It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.2 earthquake strikes Russia's far-east, close to border with North Korea - USGS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Pretty interesting considering the tension of that region. I wonder if Un will try and take this force of nature and tell his people that the shaking was caused by they United States or S Korea.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It was on the Russian side, leading me to believe this WASN'T a fourth nuclear test from the North.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

Yeah I agree. Still though even though this is a natural thing the place is a bit odd considering only a breath in the wrong direction could set everything off.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the arrival of the "HAARP Bunnies"

edit on 5-4-2013 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Lol, yeah no kidding.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the arrival of the "HAARP Bunnies"

edit on 5-4-2013 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

IT WAS HAARP!!!!

Sorry just playing devil's advocate....

Either way, it seems like just an earthquake to me, nothing out of the ordinary.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This was a very deep quake:

Event Time

2013-04-05 13:00:02 UTC
2013-04-06 00:00:02 UTC+11:00 at epicenter
2013-04-05 15:00:02 UTC+02:00 system time

42.713°N 131.105°E depth=561.9km (349.1mi)
Nearby Cities

9km (6mi) N of Zarubino, Russia
28km (17mi) SW of Slavyanka, Russia
62km (39mi) ENE of Aoji-ri, North Korea
63km (39mi) ESE of Hunchun, China
608km (378mi) NE of Pyongyang, North Korea

Source: USGS here.

Nearly 350 miles down. So there is no way that this was anything but a natural event. No-one has the capability to drill a hole 350 miles down into the Earth's crust. The best efforts have not even got a tenth of that depth.

Not to say that Nth Korea's propoganda machine won't make something of it. You never know. I'm just giving the facts of the matter from a seismological perspective. What politicians and others in positions of power do with such info is anyone's guess.

edit on 5/4/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I agree it was natural. All I am saying is that Un could use these to spin it into whatever he wants. His people will have no other reason to believe him. This could help get his people fired up and ready for war.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I say NK is responsible. What else could it possibly be, natural occurrence my fanny!

ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!!!

(I'm joking)
edit on 5-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Yes, that is always a problem. Natural events of many kinds can be used for propoganda purposes. But in this case, if we look at the USGS Historic Seismicity for this region, we see that while not common, larger quakes are not unknown there:

(Today's quake is indicated by a red star. BTW that red star is commonly used. It doesn't matter where the quake happens.)

Things to note:
-- the vast majority of significant quakes in the region are more than 300 km deep.
-- the bigger quakes (ie like today's or even stronger) are more than 500 km deep. Deep quakes are the norm in this region.
-- that map only shows activity since 1990. Obviously, there were quakes before then. Just scroll down the page at the above link and you'll see a map for quakes of mag 7-plus that have occurred in the region since 1900.

Anyway, just another day and another quake. But as we've noted, what some PTB might choose to make of it for their own ends is another matter entirely.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
IDK....it looks like somebody is poking the sleeping bear. Somebody wants a war and needs a war. They're addicted to it!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by shhhhhh

What sleeping bear? I don't follow you. Are you referring to the quake?

This wasn't a shallow quake a mile or so deep. It was nearly 350 miles down, as virtually all large quakes have been in that region for many years.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

JM, thank you for your research and posting of seismic history.

At this very tense time this quake can be used two ways...keeping in mind that NorKS have NO contact with the world outside their borders.

1. They can easily be manipulated to believe what they "felt" was an act of aggression AGAINST their Dear Leader; or 2. When Told it was an act of aggression by Dear Leader, QUESTION and REALIZE that they have felt the EQ tremors before, and this recognize they are being LIED to.

I have always thought there are no such things as coincidences and that even a naturally occurring event (the quake) fits into a larger plan (be its origins Divine or karmic).
edit on 5-4-2013 by Glinda because: Omitted a word.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Oh FFS, it was an earthquake at a magnitude and depth that has happened before in the area many times. If NK didn't use it to bolster their threats in the past, they're not going to now. They're foolish and knee-jerk, but I don't think they're that stupid as to claim a uber deep quake was somehow geared towards them.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

True, but remember the populace believes that the Kims are diety; effectively gods. Would a largely illiterate population mostly think "earthquake" or would they turn to their attention to their benevolent Leader for guidance. I'm counting on some to realize its been felt before; but fear many will be manipulated in "see what THEY are doing to our land."

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Agreed, but for one thing: the average person in NK probaby cannot access a western-based seismology service to find out the tech details of whatever shaking they felt.

A 6.2 MW quake at about 350 miles deep will not be felt very strongly at the surface due to energy dissipation. But that's the problem. Some people would feel it but would have no idea exactly where it was, or how deep, or how big. And without the local people's access to data, TPTB in NK could (if they wished) use the event for their own purposes. The leadership would have that data from their own scientists and would know it was a natural event. But few others outside of the leadership and a few scientists would have a clue.

I'm not saying the NK PTD would use this event for other purposes, just that they could.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

True, it would probably be mildly felt despite the depth. But like I said, it's not the first in the region, and definitely not the first on the peninsula. When the USGS registered the nuke test, I was pretty surprised to see the seismic history page of the Korean peninsula. I certainly didn't think it was nearly as seismically active as it is. Therefore, since they have experienced many quakes of varied mags and depths, I doubt even the illiterate would think it anything beyond an earthquake like they've had before.

Edit: I'm not saying it's as active as California or Japan, but it's active.
edit on 4/5/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Edit 2:
Dang it, way to make a liar out of me, USGS. I know full well it showed at least a dozen on the peninsula since 1990, but now, nada except outside the borders.
comcat.cr.usgs.gov...-seismicity_1900

Edit 3: I don't get it, now it's showing a few on the peninsula after a refresh. WTH?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I get what you're saying. And it's true: while it's not highly active, they can get some big jolts there.

But back to the potential scenarios. There are many levels here. There's the concept of synchronicity, for one thing. We can couple that with the age-old concept of mega-egoed leaders who take natural events as "signs" that are intended personally for them.

There's also the problem of a people who are very fearful of saying the wrong thing out loud, and hence publicly "believing" whatever horsefeathers they're told by their state-run media. They wave the flags and chant the slogans because to not do so makes them noticed -- and that can be very bad indeed.

For the past 20 years I have lived in a country that was once part of the Soviet Bloc. Many people I know here (including some inlaws and many close friends) have told me what it was like under the old regime. They've told me how hard it was to find out what was going on in the outside world, how much BS they were fed, and how they often had to pretend to toe the "party line" here -- or else. So, they pretended to believe, pretended to honor their leaders (who they often really hated), and prayed for the day when they might once again be free.

North Korea would be much the same, except a level or two worse, because of the totally dynastic nature of their leadership. The people can be told anything and if there is a shred of evidence to support the story, they'll go along with it because they dare not do otherwise, unless they want to face very real and terrible consequences. People just get taken away and no-one dares ask why. It's happened before, in many dark periods of human history. And the average people in NK are living their own version of it now.

And now we have this rather strong, very deep quake, one that was likely felt by some people in the eastern parts of NK. A relatively rare, major shaker that comes just one day after their leaders announced they were ready to attack the US.

What if the NK state-run news then announces it was a failed attack from (choose your country), or alternatively, it was a successful weapons test, or even a pre-emptive strike by themselves? The average person just has no way to know otherwise. All they know is they felt the ground shake.

Synchronicity can work many ways. It wouldn't greatly surprise me if considering the timing in this case, the NK leadership makes use of that quake's occurrence at this time.

But you just never know. They might not say anything at all. The NK leadership are very, very hard to read and even harder to predict.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I hope this isnt some precursor to the huge volcano event thats set to happen on the Russo-NKorea broder???
Just sayin...theres a huge one there thats been active lately.....

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah

Edit 2:
Dang it, way to make a liar out of me, USGS. I know full well it showed at least a dozen on the peninsula since 1990, but now, nada except outside the borders.
comcat.cr.usgs.gov...-seismicity_1900

Edit 3: I don't get it, now it's showing a few on the peninsula after a refresh. WTH?

Sometimes they can just take a while to load from the archive database. No biggie.
They can all be tracked down through the NEIC searchable database anyway. Just ask me if you want the link to do a search.

top topics

join