It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA March Unemployment, Disaster. Lowest worker rate since 1979!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
I love how when the unemployment rate goes down, people have to find other numbers that aren't usually used as a measure to complain about.

Unemployment dropped to 7.6% in March...still continuing the downward trend it has been...hence an improving economy.

It's amazing that there is a group of people that hope that the economy isn't recovering just so they can trash on Obama some more.

Give it up people...History will show that Obama pulled this country out of a nose dive...that is just historic fact.

Hopefully this has already been addressed for dummies who have no idea, so will again.

It's all in the participation rate.

It's possible to have a zero per cent UE rate while half the population has no job if the half of the population without a job are not being counted in the UE rate because they are not claiming UE benefits.

If the 63.3 per cent participation rate had remained at the previous month's 63.5 per cent rate, the UE rate would have gone up, possibly close to 8 per cent.

A friggen 10 year old kid could work this out. It's not other numbers people are finding, it's right there in the data being published.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Well, you have fun in your 'the economy is so great and everyone who disagrees with me must be a tea partier' world. You seem to be in the minority here. Most people are feeling the pressure of growing prices at the pump and at the register. It must be nice to not be affected by those things, but, unfortunately, that's the reality for the majority.

I think you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I'm going to respectfully agree to disagree with you, because, honestly it doesn't really matter.

And, for the record, I am not mad at you for your success in whatever it is that you do, I just think its silly to fall all over yourself chasing little pieces of paper when there is so much more to life than that, things that cannot be bought with money.

And, I still think that our system is horribly broken.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

This must be part of the epic recovery 21 Statistics About The Explosive Growth Of Poverty In America That Everyone Should Know

So where are those real world food prices that show the "sky rocketing"???

Why is it so hard for you, or anyone else, to find this very accessible information???

Using your links provided

suger 2003= $6.5, 2013= $19.25 thats 290% increase
Butter 2003 =$125 2013= $160 thats 128% increase
Coffee 2003 = $64 2013 =$180 thats 281% increase
Wheat 2003 =$380 2013 = $950 thats 250% increase
Cattle 2003 =$90 2013 = $128 thats a 142% increase
Lean hog 2003 = $60 2013 = $88 thats a 146% increase

between them all your looking at and average of 206% increase in 10 year! thats 20.6% increase in food year after year. has your income increase 20% YOY? mine hasnt that for sure.

And the FED's say inflation has been at 3% YOY for the last 20 or so years. thats BS!

Check and Mate!
edit on 5-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Did not want anyone to Miss this so its on the top page. Read what I wrote above!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Does anybody care that I work at the ESD?? Are you guys going to stone me or throw rotten vegetables at me? I'll get you a job! LOL JK!!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

reply to post by camaro68ss

I see that you aren't great with numbers. The 1979 number you are refering to is a PERCENTAGE. And since you are aware that we have a higher population...then basic math should tell you that we have more people working now than we did in 1979.

We have a larger retirement population than we did in 1979, we have more kids in college than we did in 1979, we have much fewer factories than we did in 1979...there are many reasons why the participation RATE hasn't increased all that much.

And we aren't talking huge changes...since around 2000 the workforce participation rate has been steadily dropping. At the highest point around 2000, the participation rate was around 67%. So a drop of 4% over 13 years isn't something that is alarming or new.

en.wikipedia.org...:US_Labor_Participation_Rate_1948-2011.svg
data.bls.gov...

What we have here is you looking for absolutely anything to complain about...even though you don't understand what it is you are complaining about.

4% of 350 million people is 14 million jobs gone. I would say that is quite alarming. Especially when half the people have lower paying jobs then when that number was higher.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yeah the economy is getting better..

The fed is still printing 85 billion dollars a month.
Interest rates are still close to zero.
They're now discussing QE 4 and 5 with no end in sight.

Oh and thanks to the fed, since about 1970 our dollar has lost about 83% of its value.

This stuff is so easy to figure out it's ridiculous. Look at history and see what happened when they printed and printed and printed money. Couple that with a staggering debt, where can you go?

I can't say im surprised though. We live in a time where the politicians don't even bother to read bills anymore, and the constitution is seen as a "burden to progress".

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

we all know your game, you pick 3 commodities that have no price inflation and the data only goes back 2 years. Lol good job.

these problem has been 5-6 years in the making. Run your data points from a 10 year span and you will see your skyrocketing prices!

Why not just show me the real world data?

Heck, at this point I'll take ancedotal evidence at this point...pick some food item and tell me what you used to pay in a certain year and show me the "sky rocketed" price of today.

And also, once again you are back peddling...I thought prices have sky rocketed in the past 5 years...and now all of a sudden it is a 10 year problem???

Why is it so hard for you to provide actual data...I provided data...and of course, it wasn't good enough for you.

So let's see the data.

Gas prices are at record highes yet demand is at 2001 levels.

Record high??? Again...another false statement.

gasbuddy.com...

Record high in past 10 years was in 2008...again. It was an average of 4.12 in June 2008. Today it is 3.60.

Gas prices are not an economic indicator...they are an indicator of how much Oil companies are allowed to screw the consumer. There is almost nothing the government can do to lower gas prices...it is a global market and the Iraq war has forever screwed over the gas prices of this country.

But let's not get off topic...focus yourself...prove your food prices theory.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Grocery prices have risen 2-3% each year between 1990-2011.

Let's use this as a baseline...this is the "norm".

So from there...let's see where your article says there has been abnormal "inflation"

Why Did Food Prices Rise in 2008?
Food price inflation caused food riots in 2008, when prices rose a whopping 6.8%.

Reasons for Food Price Inflation in 2011
In 2011, prices rose 4.8%, which some experts said eventually led to the riots known as the Arab Spring.

So....where is the "sky rocket"??? 6.8% and 4.8% are outside of the normal...but nothing to panic about...and nothing that any logical person would describe as "sky rocketing".

So what happened in 2012...if this is a trend...then I guess it should be horrible for last year.

2012 Food Prices
The drought didn't affect food prices overall in 2012, which only increased .5%.

Oh...look at that...food prices increas 0.5%.

I think you just proved me point...thanks.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Greedy businessmen want to make an extra buck, so they outsource labor jobs to overseas, where people do work for a ridiculous wage. Right now, Shenzhen labor is about $1500 to $1600 RMB per month (these people can survive and have savings, earning less than $300 USD/month). It used to be a lot less than that, probably around only $800 RMB/month.

$300 USD/month is a lot.. heck of a lot less than what you would pay ANY amigo here in the U.S.

So please do understand that America stands no chance on this. If the labor jobs are not going to China, it's going to India, Africa, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, anywhere else but U.S.

Not everyone is like Ted Nugent mmK? If anyone has caught his interviews before, Ted claimed that his family would shovel # if it comes to it. I'm sorry America but our citizens are far from wanting to have an 8 hour daily job that shovels #...

Greedy businessmen, unfortunately, are not the only crowd to blame here. Greedy Union laborers are also part of the problem.

Look at the Long Beach harbor strike that happened a few years back. The Union dock workers, on average, made annual salary of $120,000. You heard me, they make $10,000/month and it is not enough, they want more, THEY NEED MORE!

I'll give you another recent example. Our company is doing an upcoming trade show soon. The trade show utilize Union workers. What do you get? Well, our company has to pay $5000+ for some douche bag to drive a fork lift, to bring 1 pallet of display samples from their warehouse to our booth floor.

Let me repeat this, if you still have not yet processed this in your brain. We will be charged $5000+ dollars, for 1 guy, to drive a forklift to deliver 1 pallet worth of items to our booth location. What's worse is that since it's Union labor, the price is non-negotiable, you either use them or your # is not getting delivered.

So how can any business make a profit, while Union workers are becoming thieves and robbers themselves? Remember, Union exists to protect the hard workers but now we've flipped that around and it's completely corrupt.

Third, you have the greedy consumers, who always want CHEAPER CHEAPER CHEAPER, BETTER BETTER BETTER, MORE MORE MORE.

You know what folks? Not going to happen. You let me know, when a Ferrari costs as much as your Honda Accord mmmK?

High quality products, has high costs. High costs rises with inflation and everything else.

The product you bought 7 years ago for $59.99 MSRP is not and SHOULD NOT cost the same to you 7 years later. You know what? Typical greedy consumers don't look at it this way, so if you jack up the price due to inflation or whatnot, say you're now selling the same product for $79.99, well greedy consumers will not buy it.

So what are those greedy businessmen going to do? Well, reduce the cost BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY! While still maintain a healthy profit margin.

SOLUTION: Outsource everything overseas, where people work for 7 grains of rice per day!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Let's use this as a baseline...this is the "norm".

Actually use lets use this post as a "baseline" www.abovetopsecret.com... nowhere in that post does the word "skyrocket" appear.

Honestly I agree with the earlier poster saying arguing for the sake of arguing.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I should of known better to trust you with actual data. You fished for data to match your belief...but you are showing no trend. Look...I can do the same.

Sugar 2009= $26 2013= $19.25 thats 74% decrease
Butter 2008 =$160 2013= $160 thats 0% increase
Coffee 1997 = $180 2013 =$180 thats 0% increase
Wheat 2007 =$875 2013 = $825 thats 0% increase

between them all your looking at and average of 206% increase in 10 year! thats 20.6% increase in food year after year. has your income increase 20% YOY? mine hasnt that for sure.

Except they didn't...because there is no trend...picking two points doesn't show anything...just like my examples doesn't show that food isn't increasing or that it is decreasing.

And what timeline are you working on...first it was the past couple years...then 5-6 years...now 10 years. Hey...if we go back 50 years...I'm sure you can find a price increase

There is no current hyper-inflation in food prices caused by anything that has happened in the past 5 years. Last year, from neo's link, the increase in food prices was 0.5%. So where is your hyper-inflation...did it take a year off?

Check and Mate!

More like B and S...but nice try.

I'll just quit playing around...because it is getting old. Here is your real world consumer prices...I was hoping you would find them and man up to the facts. I thought I would nudge you with the commodity prices...but you are clearly avoiding the real world data I'm talking about.

data.bls.gov...

Between 2003 and 2013, here are the price increases for food.

Bread - $1.04 to $1.41
Ground Chuck $2.13 to $3.40
Chicken $1.00 to $1.45
Eggs $1.75 to $1.96
Milk $2.68 to $3.48

As you can plainly see...with real world prices there is no hyper inflation with food.

I can't make it any more clear than this...this is the real world data...this 100% debunks your myth of "sky rocketing" food prices.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

4% of 350 million people is 14 million jobs gone.

I would say that is quite alarming. Especially when half the people have lower paying jobs then when that number was higher.

The 350 million figure is the TOTAL population...not just the eligible working age members

the other 190 million are under-age, disabled, undocumented aliens, etc & not part of the work=-force

The Corporate profits are gang-busters for the second year..... meaning that the furloughed workers were never needed in the 1st place

the culled down workforce means that the Corporations can run profitably for years/ decades to come...
because their product was massively OVER-PRICED at the start..
.(lets Admit their produts were overpriced for the 5 years prior to the financial crisis in 2006-2008)

those are just two clues for the reader to eschew....instead of reacting like slobs in a pig sty

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

I will just say I am worse off now than I was three or four years ago.

And I am much better off.

Our personal situations don't matter. Overall the economy is better...all data points to this. Even when people like the OP try to find something, they are easily proven wrong.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

The print came in about an hour ago on US Unemployment. It was a disaster.

the number of people not in the labor force which in March soared by a massive 663,000 to a record 90 million Americans who are no longer even looking for work. Even worse, the labor force participation rate plunged from an already abysmal 63.5% to 63.3% - the lowest since 1979!

www.zerohedge.com...

The last time the workers rate was this low was right before woman started to enter the work force in the late 1970's

Payroll plunged to 88k people hired for march yet the unemployment percentage fell from 7.7% in February to 7.6% in March, pure Propaganda. From what i read, you need at least 150k people hired each month just to keep up with population groth!

Here is the scary part. The FED's are pumping 85 Billion dollars in the the economy each month. So your telling me in now takes nearly 1 billion dollars to create 1 job? Talk about diminishing returns.

Its worth repeating, Print 1 BILLION US DOLLARS = 1 job created!!!!!!!

WOW!

You failed math, didn't you? Likewise - if you're unemployed, then I bet that I know why...

85,000,000,000 / 88,000 = 1 million per job.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

If the 63.3 per cent participation rate had remained at the previous month's 63.5 per cent rate, the UE rate would have gone up, possibly close to 8 per cent.

No, it would have remained exactly the same.

The unemployment rate is the unemployed divided by the labor force. If you add all those that fell out of the participation rate, you add them to both the unemployed numbers and the labor force...they cancel each other out and there is no change.

So no, the participation rate falling doesn't effect the unemployment rate at all.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Well, you have fun in your 'the economy is so great and everyone who disagrees with me must be a tea partier' world. You seem to be in the minority here. Most people are feeling the pressure of growing prices at the pump and at the register. It must be nice to not be affected by those things, but, unfortunately, that's the reality for the majority.

I will always be in the minority on a Right leaning website.

Being in the minority doesn't mean I am wrong. The economy is improving...all of you can deny it all you want, it is fine, the economy doesn't need your approval.

I am well aware that people are still struggling...this would be the case no matter how good the economy is. It isn't a matter of how much a person makes either...I know people in my income group that are struggling because they are stupid with money. And I also know people who are making 40k a year that are doing awesome because they know how to handle their money.

And, I still think that our system is horribly broken.

And I asked you how you think it should be fixed, do you care to answer?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

4% of 350 million people is 14 million jobs gone. I would say that is quite alarming. Especially when half the people have lower paying jobs then when that number was higher.

That's because you wouldn't take the percentage from 350 million people. And it's not jobs that are gone...it is workers that have left the workforce. Big difference.

But I am tired of trying to teach people about these labor force numbers...but you can find it on many websites yourself.
edit on 5-4-2013 by xedocodex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I was following this today. Ahead of the employment figures coming out markets were dropping fast. On one of the market watch sites a guy came out and said it would be good for wall street if the employment figures were bad. The reason he gave was that the Fed would keep pumping money if the employment rate was not improving, wheras if it did improve there would be a chance the Fed would lift the foot off the gas.

I found this thinking incredible and it just shows that the money folk are not a scrap interested in ordinary working folk. All they care about is the number on the chart keeps going up at any cost.

Of course one day it will all collapse about their ears, just not today.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Good to see somebody that gets it...labor force participation rate is the ONLY thing that matters when it comes to job growth.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Did not want anyone to Miss this so its on the top page. Read what I wrote above!

Here, let me help you with that. (Hint: A 100% increase means the amount has doubled)

suger 2003= $6.5, 2013= $19.25 thats 196.2% increase
Butter 2003 =$125 2013= $160 thats 28% increase
Coffee 2003 = $64 2013 =$180 thats 181.3% increase
Wheat 2003 =$380 2013 = $950 thats 136.8% increase
Cattle 2003 =$90 2013 = $128 thats a 42.2% increase
Lean hog 2003 = $60 2013 = $88 thats a 46.6% increase

between them all your looking at and average of 110.2% increase in 10 year! thats 11% increase in food year after year.

Now we can know what we actually would be missing if we had missed it.

I agree that that amount of an increase (the real increase) sucks. My pay has only gone up about 4% a year over the last 10 years.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join