It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA March Unemployment, Disaster. Lowest worker rate since 1979!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by xedocodex

Gasoline is not food...you are dodging

Gasoline is used to make food the more fuel costs the cost is translated across the board not only to food on the shelf but ever other consumer product.

Then you are free to show these mythical sky rocketing food prices.

I just provided a bunch of links of real world data...go find me these sky rocketing prices.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Give it up people...History will show that Obama pulled this country out of a nose dive...that is just historic fact.

Obama had nothing to do with it. Neither does any President. This is all about the private sector. And we are far from "pulling out" of it....just heading in the right direction, albeit at impulse speed.

Not this time...this time the private sector needed help.

The Auto industry needed help, the Banking industry needed help...the stimulus provided many construction jobs.

Like I said...everyone can deny it...but in ten years you can all read about it in the History books your kids/grandkids bring home.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
A challenge for all of you claiming this hyper-inflation of food prices.

It's very very simple...provide real world data...it is all out there...just show me.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Many people here just whine about the economy, but few suggest solutions. I am personally interesting in economy in any country, especially from the local experience. Objective discussion about what could be improved is never bad

Some opinions from non-American viewpoint:

1) Something must be done about corporations. They are killing the small business sector. US has the highest corporation sector of developed nations (52,7%) and the smalles medium and small business sectors.

2) Debt has to be dealed with. Some day it has to be paid back or otherwise the country is in bankrupt. Either bankrupt or the next generations suffering under the debt means extremely bad times. Look at Greece or Cyprus, who let their debt out of hands. People have to pay it back anyways. At least I personally would prefer starting to pay it back myself, than let my kids do it.

3) As someone pointed out, personally debt is smart if used correctly, although too many people have no idea how to handle money and that is one of the reasons behind the massive unemployment and debts. Stronger financial education at schools is needed, as many people do not even understand even the basics of economy and consume without thinking first.

4) Federal Reserve/Banks under control, so that no bank would be able to create a massive bubble of debt (which could explode as in 2008).

5) Whether people want it or not, taxed need to be raised, otherwise the debt will only continue to grow. I still do not personally understand why in America the consumerism taxes are so low - compared to most European nations, who are financially in much stronger place, sales tax and gasoline tax are nearly inexistent. These two taxes alone would bring in trillions of dollars and most of the absurd taxes can be diminished. Stronger progressive taxes would also benefit the society overally and lower the wealth gap. To be honest, nothing can be done currently with government spending. It is a problem in every country I can think of.

6) Something has to be done with education. All those cuts are doing nothing good for the education. I understand that the country is in debt, but in bad times education is the key where to invest. US education is becoming weaker and weaker in public schools. Also the extreme costs of higher education are overally not good for the nation. I would not imagine how the future would look like, as most jobs will need at least basic technical education.

These were just the first things that came to mind. I tried not to generilize too much. I hope nobody feels offended about something, it was not meant to.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

So 3 trillion dollars added to the M2 money supply in 4 years has had zero effect on the price of food, and other consumer goods?

Glad we sorted that out.

M2 money supply 2008 www.usdebtclock.org...

The current state of the union www.usdebtclock.org... 2 to 3 trillion dollars of additional fiat currency

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So 3 trillion dollars added to the M2 money supply in 4 years has had zero effect on the price of food, and other consumer goods?

It's very simple...just show me the prices.

Historical food prices are all over the internet...just show me the real world data.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

These are still choices you made. Bottom line, you needed money you didn't have...so you used credit to "print" your own money. The same thing you are criticizing the government and others for doing.

Yeah. Once. Not over and over every single day, like the government does. I still wish that I wouldn't have had to do it. People will do all sorts of things when backed into a corner.

What was I supposed to do? Walk 20 miles into town every time I had a script to pick up or needed to go to the grocery?

And so what is your concern about the monetery policy of this administration or any administration? See you claim you aren't concerned about money, but then you seem overly concerned about monetary policy that would only really effect those people who are into investments and who have accumulated a lot of wealth.

My problem is that these policies only serve to help the wealthy stay that way while making things incredibly difficult for the little guy. If you can't see how big of a problem that is, then I don't exactly know what to tell you.

That's fine if you don't want to improve your economic situation, I do because I love my kids and I want to be able to improve their lives and their chances in the future. It's not about greed for me, it's not about big houses or fancy cars...I drive an old car that is paid off and I live in a house that is paid off in a neighborhood where people make about 1/4 of what I do.

Your first sentence seems like a thinly veiled insult, you seem to be implying that my not wanting to put effort into getting as many of those little green pieces of paper as I can, that I don't care for my kids' future.

I give them something more valuable than money than money will ever be. You can't put a value on time. You can't put a value on teaching them real life skills. I think those things are far more important than how many little green pieces of paper I have in my possession.

Unfortunately, I think like many people in this thread, you are a victim of Right Wing propaganda because you are just repeating all the talking points they cover.

There you go with assumptions. Again.

And, for the record, I am improving my economic situation, just because I am not doing it by chasing around some pieces of paper, doesn't invalidate the fact there is an ongoing effort. I am just choosing to go about it in a different way. I am doing it by reducing my dependence on the system and working my way towards self sufficiency. I'm truly sorry that you cannot appreciate that.

Just think of me this summer while you are chasing those bills around.

I'll be outside, in my garden, with my kids, drinking some nice home brewed iced tea. I will watch the pure joy on my childrens' faces as they ride the horse around the property. I will be enjoying the facial expressions and the awe and wonder they experience when they eat food that they helped me to grow. The excitement that they get each morning as they help gather the freshly laid eggs from the coop. The joy that they get from getting covered head to toe in dirt.

And, then in the evening, we will be sitting together outside stargazing under a bright night sky that city life has no hope of providing. After we come inside and wash away the dirt from our extremely fulfilling day, I will tuck them into their beds knowing that I am providing something so priceless, something that has no numerable value, for them and I will be secure in knowing that these are the absolute best possible things I can do for them.

You can have your money. I'll take the simple things in life over it any day.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Yeah. Once. Not over and over every single day, like the government does. I still wish that I wouldn't have had to do it. People will do all sorts of things when backed into a corner.

What was I supposed to do? Walk 20 miles into town every time I had a script to pick up or needed to go to the grocery?

But the government can afford to do this..that is why they have done it forever and continue to do it.

The "debt clock" is a fear mongering tactic used by the Right and it has worked on a lot of uninformed people. The rhetoric of "our children will have to pay this" is also a fear mongering tactic.

The bottom line is that the government can borrow money cheap...so they do. There is another part and that is they have now committed to so much spending (the government...not Obama...his spending increase has actually been the smallest in recent history) that they have to borrow. We could solve this by asking rich people to actually pay taxes instead of them dodging them, or we could cut our massive military budget so we don't spend more than the next 10 countries combined.

But it is the same thing...so you really shouldn't knock it since you participated in it yourself.

My problem is that these policies only serve to help the wealthy stay that way while making things incredibly difficult for the little guy. If you can't see how big of a problem that is, then I don't exactly know what to tell you.

Hey, I'm all for tax reform to have the wealthy actually start paying taxes. I'm for corporate reform to stop them from raping their workers.

But these aren't monetary policy issues, these are domestic economic issues. It doesn't matter how much the government does or does not borrow...these issues are entirely seperate.

I am curious to which political philosophy you think has the best solution for this...Liberals...Conservatives....Libertarians??? And what are those solutions that you think would work?

Your first sentence seems like a thinly veiled insult, you seem to be implying that my not wanting to put effort into getting as many of those little green pieces of paper as I can, that I don't care for my kids' future.

Not at all. You do what you want to do with your life, I'm fine with that. But you shouldn't assume that people who are concerned about their personal finances do it just for greed or to try to impress others. I gave you the reasoning why I use debt leverage to make money...prior to that you seemed to think I did it just for the big houses and fancy cars.

As for your last part, I'm very happy that you are happy...you should do what makes you happy in life. But don't be mad at me for being successful.

I don't know why you are trying to make this a competition...I'm happy with my life...you seem happy with your life. I'll think of you while I'm in Jamaica.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
This must be part of the epic recovery 21 Statistics About The Explosive Growth Of Poverty In America That Everyone Should Know

So where are those real world food prices that show the "sky rocketing"???

Why is it so hard for you, or anyone else, to find this very accessible information???

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The employment problem has been ongoing from about the year 2000 to the present and this post is not intended to garner a political rhetoric.

Putting some of his controversial policies aside, the US growth in employment was great when Bill Clinton was the US President. I am referring to decent paying employment not just being employed. The employment situation in the US started on a downhill slide when G. W. Bush took office. Not sure what he did but he sure made a mess of it. How was he elected for two terms? Maybe it was the coalition of Bible thumpers. Some well timed religious comments can turn the tide for any politician.

Then along comes charismatic Barack Obama with tales of change. He may have had good intentions but it didn't workout as he thought.

Today, the employment situation is no better, if not worse. It appears that many of the generations born in the mid 70's, 80's and 90's won't have a chance at a decent retirement. Even a college degree or two makes no difference.
edit on 5-4-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
this is like ronald reagan bad

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

This must be part of the epic recovery 21 Statistics About The Explosive Growth Of Poverty In America That Everyone Should Know

Why is it so hard for you, or anyone else, to find this very accessible information???

we all know your game, you pick 3 commodities that have no price inflation and the data only goes back 2 years. Lol good job.

these problem has been 5-6 years in the making. Run your data points from a 10 year span and you will see your skyrocketing prices!

take a look at the groth of poverty. there is your Indicator

Gas prices are at record highes yet demand is at 2001 levels.

Show me one country in the history of the world that was able to print money to pay bills and survive?
edit on 5-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

The "debt clock" is a fear mongering tactic used by the Right

Wrong the debt clock is what the left used to bash Bush over the head with for 8 years.
edit on 5-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Question: Why Are Food Prices Rising? Answer: Food prices rise in response to high gas prices. That's because transportation is a large cost of food you buy at the store. When you notice prices at the pump rising, expect to see the same thing happen in about six weeks at the grocery store. High gas prices are, themselves, usually caused by high oil prices. Here again, it usually takes about six weeks for increases in oil futures to translate to the pump.

useconomy.about.com...

Of course what that article leaves out and some people who just loves to "blame" specualtion leaves out that oil is a global commodity traded on every exchange in the world.

They also leave out that everyone pays the same price for a barrel of oil, but no country in the world has the same price at the pump, that extends to no 2 states have the same price at the pump.

Given the fact between EPA regulations,Local regulations,State regulations,Federal regulation that all make that gallon more expensive.with the additon of printing trillions of fiat currency that devalues the dollar.
edit on 5-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I work at ESD and we're having layoffs. Everybody getting laid off is moving to DSHS! DO THE STATE WORKER SHUFFLE EVERYBODY

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The Fed has always bought treasury bonds...sometimes at an increased rate...and guess what...IT WORKS. Doesn't it get a little old always complaining and predicting doom and gloom for it to never come???

It only works for private banks. These fluctuations in the economy are mathematically inherent to fractional-reserve banking. Our monetary system is used only to create poor pockets of people in society. Putting people in debt is the name of the game. Foreclosure was built-in. Why? Because property is more valuable than fiat currency.

Our economic troubles cannot be blamed on democrats anymore than they can be blamed on republicans. The two-party system is just an illusion to keep two groups of dingbats too preoccupied with fighting each other so they don't realize who is actually screwing them.

The Federal Reserve isn't federal. It is private. The Federal Reserve prints our currency. They use their magically printed currency to buy "treasury bonds" from the federal government. The federal government is charged interest for using Federal Reserve Notes. It is absurd to believe that the federal government would charge itself interest, or put itself in debt to itself. You have to get it into your head that the Federal Reserve is a private bank. They WERE NOT established to benefit the American people.

The Federal Reserve is the core of ALL of our economic problems.
edit on 5-4-2013 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Using your links provided

suger 2003= $6.5, 2013= $19.25 thats 290% increase
Butter 2003 =$125 2013= $160 thats 128% increase
Coffee 2003 = $64 2013 =$180 thats 281% increase
Wheat 2003 =$380 2013 = $950 thats 250% increase
Cattle 2003 =$90 2013 = $128 thats a 142% increase
Lean hog 2003 = $60 2013 = $88 thats a 146% increase

between them all your looking at and average of 206% increase in 10 year! thats 20.6% increase in food year after year. has your income increase 20% YOY? mine hasnt that for sure.

And the FED's say inflation has been at 3% YOY for the last 20 or so years. thats BS!

Check and Mate!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

The government doesn't print money...the Fed Reserve does (not part of the government). The Government sells bonds to gain money from the Fed Reserve...which is in essence credit because at some point the government has to pay money back to the Fed for those bonds.

To make it simple...Selling Bonds is how the government extends their credit. Taking out loans or using a credit card is how individuals extend their credit. It is the exact same thing...please educate yourself.

That is the entire problem with our economy. If the Federal Reserve can print "money" as a private bank, than ANYONE can do it.

But, that is not sound economic principle. The fact that the federal government continues borrowing "money" from the fed is nothing more than economic treason against the American people.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

A challenge for all of you claiming this hyper-inflation of food prices.

It's very very simple...provide real world data...it is all out there...just show me.

I don't have figures but I am sure a lot more mopey every time I go to the pump and go to the grocery store.

The slight increase in food prices, increasing fuel prices, more taxes out of my check, and increased utilities has started to hurt my pocket.

I am not saying it is bushes or obamas fault, i am just saying it is not all sunshine and rainbows.

Let's just say that when the payroll tax hit I began to see an influx in residential DSL disconnect orders and downgrades or disconnects on cable TV. I have seen small businesses drop some T1s off their accounts and a drop off in new T1 installs.

I have a few friends in different telecom companies and they are seeing the same.

I will just say I am worse off now than I was three or four years ago.

edit on 5-4-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join