It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50% of people who answered this poll are IDIOTS!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Greed, simple greed, gays and their sympathizers just wanting monetary benefits.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

Greed, simple greed, gays and their sympathizers just wanting monetary benefits.

Why is it greed for homosexuals and not for heterosexuals?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The States are discriminating against them.

The states discriminate against gun owners so what your point?

What is your opinion on inter-racial marriage...do you think the Federal government shouldn't have been involved with that either?

I don't really have anyone firm believer that no one should have to beg the state/fed Government to live their lives how they want to.

99% of all issues should be resolved on the state level If gay marriage is all fire important then how about passing laws for it just like they did for gun control?

What people really have to set back, and let feds take care of it?

Must be the case.
edit on 5-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

The States are discriminating against them.

Please explain how they discriminate against gun owners and to which group are they unequal to.

This should be good.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Please explain how they discriminate against gun owners and to which group are they unequal to.

Oh so no one is going around telling gun owners what rights they have, and rights they don't have.

Could have fooled me.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You're conflating two issues here.

States are not discriminating against gun owners. You can claim that some states are infringing on their rights, but even that is debatable as no states have banned guns altogether. The Bill of Rights is only a restriction on the federal government.

Under equal protection . . . the laws must apply to everyone in the state. Marriage it doesn't. Guns they do. Gun owners aren't barred from certain privilages that others enjoy.

Come on . . . ?
edit on 4/5/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

You're conflating two issues here.

They are totally related simple fact both issues lack consistency if we are to set rules for all to live by consistency is paramount.

We don't get to pick and choose groups within groups and give/take rights away.

but even that is debatable as no states have banned guns altogether.

Between Connecticut,Colorado,New York they might as well have.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Oh so no one is going around telling gun owners what rights they have, and rights they don't have.

Could have fooled me.

No, no one is.

Please give an example. A law that is applied to everyone is not discriminatory...if there is a gun law...it doesn't matter if I own a gun or not...the law still applies to me if I choose to buy a gun in the future.

I don't think you understand what discrimination and equality means.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Sure I do only government officials get to have "assault weapons" the average person doesn't

That is discriminatory.

Straight people get to marry and get money and benefits from it LGTB'S are mad they don't get money and benefits.

Straight Marriage recognition under the eyes of god

Gay marriage recognition under the eyes government.

edit on 5-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And that is why you are free not to live in those states or take it up with the SCOTUS. However, those laws still apply to all who live in those states, regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, or sexual orientation.

Not the same as the marriage laws that discriminate against sexual orientation.

I'm on your side about the gun issue, but these issues aren't the same. Again, gun laws don't discriminate. They are an infringement on "everbody's" rights . . . that's the difference. A state that really didn't want homosexuals to marry could just outlaw marriage altogether . . . then it's fair. Allow no marriages and nobody is discriminated against.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The state doesn't discriminate against gun owners. You're misusing the word.

Discrimination is treating a group of people differently than another group. For example, if white gun owners were permitted to have semi-automatic weapons and black gun owners were not, that would be discrimination.

reply to post by neo96

My straight marriage is in the eyes of government. We are both atheists, so your God plays NO part.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I don't see how a state defining who is allowed to marry infringes on anyone's right to life, liberty or pursuit of property from arbitrary government action. The states prevent cousins from marrying to avoid inbred children and also forbid polygamy. Should the feds throw out these limits as well?

Theoretically speaking, what is to stop a state from banning anyone over a certain weight from getting a marriage license? Or someone under a certain I.Q.? Or someone who is not considered "attractive" under state guidelines? All to discourage fat, stupid and ugly people from breeding fat, stupid and ugly children? Heck, why not just ban black people or Hispanic people from getting marriage licenses?

Discrimination is not allowed under our constitution. You can't discriminate against someone, just because they don't follow your religion, or you don't like their lifestyle, or their race, or how they look, etc., etc.
If a state tries to discriminate against gays because they don't like gays, the Federal government needs to step in.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

And that is why you are free not to live in those states or take it up with the SCOTUS. However, those laws still apply to all who live in those states, regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, or sexual orientation.

Yet I have never discriminated against anyone nor ever denied anyone never seen anyone "discriminated" against.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Sure I do only government officials get to have "assault weapons" the average person doesn't

That is discriminatory.

Ummm...no...it's the law. It doesn't discriminate based on your personal attributes.

Your problem is that you truly don't understand what discrimination means...to you it means not getting what you want....and that isn't what it is at all.

Straight Marriage recognition under the eyes of god

Gay marriage recognition under the eyes government.

So why do straight people get government issued marriage licenses???

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Actually, some states are trying to say that non gun owners have different rights than gun owners. Get it straight. They are going after a certain group of people and that is discrimination. Believe me gays have not cornered the market on discrimination. But apparently it is only discrimination if a gay is the victim.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The state doesn't discriminate against gun owners. You're misusing the word.

Nope

Discrimination is treating a group of people differently than another group.

Yep

For example, if Police were permitted to have fully-automatic weapons and gun owners were not, that would be discrimination.

Absolutely correct see discrimination is not always about race or sexual orientation.

As per this definition:

treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well . . . again, it's not you who is discriminating it is the states that are discriminating by claiming different laws based on gender.

I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Actually, some states are trying to say that non gun owners have different rights than gun owners. Get it straight. They are going after a certain group of people and that is discrimination. Believe me gays have not cornered the market on discrimination. But apparently it is only discrimination if a gay is the victim.

Please cite examples of laws passed against gun owners that don't apply to everyone else . . .

Employment? Marriage? Driving privlages?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yeah and we aren't allowed to wear police uniforms and pull people over.

OMG DISCRIMINATION!?!?!?!?!?!? OH NOES!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Actually, some states are trying to say that non gun owners have different rights than gun owners.

Please explain.

They are going after a certain group of people and that is discrimination.

How are they "going after" them? Please explain these statements.

And you're WRONG about marriage being about religion. I'm atheist and I'm married. MANY non-religious people are married. Your argument on that is completely ruined. The marriage license is issued by the STATE, not by the preacher or by "God". SOME people get married for religious reasons, but like it or not, marriage is a government benefit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join