It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telemarketing Should Be Illegal!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

If you don't like telemarketers, how about you do something about it? You probably live in a free, democratic society, so you should use your resources to try and get something done. If so many people are against it than it shouldn't be too difficult a task. Right?

On the other side, I'm quite thankful for telemarketing. In my city right now, our economy is basically driven by telemarketing. It used to be factories in this area, now it's telemarketing. Without these companies, many people would be without work.

edit on 6-4-2013 by swoopaloop because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Do these companies really make money from the calls? I mean i have never once bought anything or signed up for stuff over the phone or TV. Dont buy from them.

Also it should be mandatory that all cell phones should have the ability to block a number my GzOne from Verizon wont let me do that, such a bummer.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Optix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Optix
Do these companies really make money from the calls? I mean i have never once bought anything or signed up for stuff over the phone or TV. Dont buy from them.

Also it should be mandatory that all cell phones should have the ability to block a number my GzOne from Verizon wont let me do that, such a bummer.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Optix because: (no reason given)

Yes they do and I see your location says Joplin, MO which is sort of interesting since I did an install for a major telemarketer\debt management\CRM company in Joplin so their are a lot of jobs being provided there by that company.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I fully agree with you:

1. They first pester you constantly to take a credit card.
2. Then they bombard you with offers to make you spend; even offer you instalments and soft loans;
3. If you are not smart and take the bait, soon they are after your life if you cannot make the payments; you are slapped with steep fines and threat of legal action.
4. You wonder what is the game. Is it not the same thing as money-lenders trapping poor people into serfdom by pushing them into impossible-to-pay loans.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I think we should be able to set a small fee for anyone not on our safe list to call us. We pay for the service, we should be able to say who can call us without having to pay up to $2 for annoying us. That would put an end overnight to annoying telemarketers. If it doesn't let them pay for our phone bills.

default safe list:
Police
Fire
Hospitals
City Hall
Schools
Government buildings

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Well then I guess then you must be smarter or more persistent than all other telemarketers. It works, it's cheap, but it takes a bit of learning to set up. Can it be gotten around? Sure. But why would a telemarketer take the time to try?

As for somebody's job: I am as entitled to defend myself from harassment as a telemarketer is to try to harass me.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Detergent
reply to post by opethPA

Well then I guess then you must be smarter or more persistent than all other telemarketers. It works, it's cheap, but it takes a bit of learning to set up. Can it be gotten around? Sure. But why would a telemarketer take the time to try?

As for somebody's job: I am as entitled to defend myself from harassment as a telemarketer is to try to harass me.

Except I'm not a telemarketer but rather the engineer that installs all the voice equipment that telemarketers use.

I just don't view a cold call as harassment and I have not done voice engineering for that industry in over 3 years so it is not even like I am defending it for that reason.

I just personally never viewed a ringing phone as harassment. I know that is not what everyone feels but it is what I feel.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReAwakened

With so much going on in the world, wars, poverty, violence and abuses of all kinds, poisons in our food, water, medications, and our air. Politicians marching the world straight into hell.... And YOU take time out to vent your hatred towards telemarketers! It's sad, and shows the state of mind of too many Americans today. No patience or respect for your fellow American. I bet your a road-rager as well... lol

Exactly, with all the wars, poverty, violence, and abuses of all kinds in the world, all I want to do is just live my life in peace without people that I don't even know calling my number trying to sell me something I don't need. When I am at home, that is my chance to unwind and relax. I understand that telemarketers are just trying to make a living and support their family like the rest of us but they're a part of a business that is just too damn annoying to have the slightest bit of respect for. Obviously there's enough people out there though who buy their crap, otherwise there wouldn't be any telemarketers. What a shame...

Also, if I seem very passionate and full of hatred about telemarketing, keep in mind that this is the Rant Forum. If I'm gonna rant about something, I'm gonna do it up right...

Originally posted by ReAwakened

I would enter your phone number into the next dozen or so leads to increase your calls by 10x at least.

That's pretty cold bro...

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kiwisoop
You are asking for the government to violate the first amendment.

The government is already violating all sorts of amendments.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thisbseth
Well I'm a telemarketer..after 1 1/2 years of job searching I finally find a good paying job..so I apologize in advance if I ever call you. I'm seth but I'm also known as; Luke, Han, obi wan, Bryan, jake , Napoleon, Frederick, Palmer, and or whatever clever name I can come up with next. It's not the greates job in the world, but I feel like a drug dealer. Always looking over my shoulder! Thanks for the laugh though. And again sorry to all I bug...I'm not doing it on purpose.

I did telesales all through university, so I always make sure I'm courteous to them when they do call. I like listening to their sales technique, spotting the freestyles over the script readers.

It can be a demoralizing job. No one ever wants to talk to you apart from lonely old folk, just happy to have someone to talk to. Then you feel bad about trying to sell them something they don't want or need. I have to admit making most of my sales to bamboozled old folk. It's like being on a hamster wheel of constant telephone calls, calling on all your enthusiasm to make that sale.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

Ok now....but be fair and quote the whole thing! I said i did that if you were wasting my time!

Besides we have to do something to keep our sanity, cold calling can be grueling and people who take the call way too seriously always provided us with a good laugh!

I once had two women break down and cry.. I mean actually crying over the calls!
I have to wonder how someone like that deals with real problems? lol
And you're right.... you are allowed to rant, we still have the illusion of freedom in this country!
And i have the right to call you and sell you something you don't need.
But this is America! We only buy $#@t we don't need!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Optix
Do these companies really make money from the calls?]

Do they? I worked for a company in Vegas where the low end guys made 8-12k a month. Managers 15-22k.
Branch Managers 25-35k. Yes per month!

Yes people buy stuff over the phone! All the time! Enough to warrant thousands of companies selling stuff!

A bit of advice to anyone annoyed by the calls.... from a seasoned telemarketer:
Next time you hear the words "Hi.. Maybe you can help me" just say NO i'm not interested and ask "Politely" to be removed from the list.
Although trust me... that never happens, lol..
But If your nice and respectful about it.... calls may stop for a while!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
How about when a telemarketer tries to call and let's the phone ring about 50 times before finally giving up and hangs up the phone... That's just plain ridiculous. After the 10th ring they should just move on to the next call. So not only are they being annoying, but now they're wasting their own time.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join