It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telemarketing Should Be Illegal!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Companies should not be allowed to dial our phone numbers to try to sell us something. Period. Case closed. It should be illegal to do so. Telemarketers are beyond annoying. They call constantly and in some cases they call very late in the evening, sometimes as late as 9pm at night... unbelievable. I hate telemarketing and telemarketers with a passion. We need to create a wave of hatred that crushes telemarketing companies and wipes them out for good!

We put up with enough marketing crap already. It's everywhere. Everywhere we look. It's impossible to go through a day without seeing an ad of some sort, trying to sell you something. We should not be subjected to phone call after phone call, ring after ring after ring after ring... in our own homes. Enough! I shouldn't even have to answer the phone to tell them to take my number off of their list. It should already be illegal. There has been tons of negativity and criticism towards telemarketing by millions of people. I'm surprised that it has not yet been banned. Every single telemarketing company should be destroyed. I never want to hear another call from a telemarketer ever again for the rest of my life.

What I really really really hate... oh man...
is when a telemarketer calls (and I can clearly see that it is a telemarketer from the caller id) and I pick up the phone to either tell them to take me off their list and never call back here ever again, or... mess with them by using one of a variety of different tactics and making them feel frustrated and forcing them be the one who has to hang up the phone. (i.e. pretending I don't speak English very good or start to ramble on about something completely off topic and never let them have a chance to say anything.) Anyway... with having one of these ideas in mind while I pick up the phone and actually getting a little bit excited thinking about what I want to say to the telemarketer... only to be severely disappointed when I get....... yes...... you guessed it....... a damn recording!!!!!!! ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

So... who has any excellent ideas or pranks to pull on the next telemarketer to call? What would piss them off the most?...

Also, any ideas on how to take down telemarketing companies once and for all? This needs to end. And we can end it...

Telemarketing Should Be Illegal!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Or you could join the 21st Century and ditch the land line. I've had my same cell # for 10 years. ZERO telemarketers. I did get a few spam text messages in 2009, but those stopped almost as soon as they started.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
In here we have Robnson list in use, its an opt out list for those who doesnt want to be telemarketed. I have opt out more than 10 years now and it works, i might get one call a year by someone making a mistake call, also this list has reduced spam mail i got to my mailbox as i dont allow direct marketing in any form.

en.wikipedia.org...

In states

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5-4-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Well I'm a telemarketer..after 1 1/2 years of job searching I finally find a good paying job..so I apologize in advance if I ever call you. I'm seth but I'm also known as; Luke, Han, obi wan, Bryan, jake , Napoleon, Frederick, Palmer, and or whatever clever name I can come up with next. It's not the greates job in the world, but I feel like a drug dealer. Always looking over my shoulder! Thanks for the laugh though. And again sorry to all I bug...I'm not doing it on purpose.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

I have my home land line on the "no call list", but still get telemarketers. When its a recording it is supposed to have a opt out feature at the end, usually by pressing 2. If it's a real person I ask for the person first and last name and then their home phone number since they know mine I want to know theirs. They usually hang up, the one person that didn't I asked when they would be home and I'll call them back then. He said no thank you and hung up.
edit on 5-4-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

thank you for a tip and good morning laught

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thisbseth
Well I'm a telemarketer..after 1 1/2 years of job searching I finally find a good paying job..so I apologize in advance if I ever call you. I'm seth but I'm also known as; Luke, Han, obi wan, Bryan, jake , Napoleon, Frederick, Palmer, and or whatever clever name I can come up with next. It's not the greates job in the world, but I feel like a drug dealer. Always looking over my shoulder! Thanks for the laugh though. And again sorry to all I bug...I'm not doing it on purpose.

And I'm sorry for calling you a "smelly telemarketing turd nerfherder" over the phone that one day...

Although, you are a part of a system that is absolutely disgusting, and will be destroyed.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

No hard feelings here. I know how to handle people like you "il remove your number from the list sir I do apologize for any inconvenience"....that's how it's done..lol I do understand your point though. I've spent days trying to figure out how my company hasn't got shut down by the government yet..

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nurelic

Originally posted by Thisbseth

And I'm sorry for calling you a "smelly telemarketing turd nerfherder" over the phone that one day...

Although, you are a part of a system that is absolutely disgusting, and will be destroyed.

You're pretty passionate about this topic.

Rather than destroying jobs why not try one of those 'no-call' lists or maybe use caller id and not answer the phone.

I'm amazed by what makes some people so angry but doesn't bother other people. For example I hate my next door neighbor. He's a loud obnoxious pig who doesn't deserve to live on my planet or on any planet for that matter. I wish he would just die. Every night before I go to sleep I pray to god and ask him to kill that son of a bitch, so far it hasn't worked but I'll keep trying. (I'm not sure if god does things like that but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
When they call me and ask for me, I just tell them is not home at the moment and ask if I can take a message. They hang up quick so they can get to their next call. If they call back in a week, I do the same thing. Easy no muss no fuss.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

You're pretty passionate about this topic.

Rather than destroying jobs why not try one of those 'no-call' lists or maybe use caller id and not answer the phone.

Not answering the phone? Oh sure, yeah... ok, I'll just let the phone keep ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing... that would put my mind at ease.......... yep, that would not be annoying at all...

And as far as destroying telemarketing jobs...
that is ok with me. No offense to Seth but what a crummy job to have. Wasting your life away in a tiny cubical calling people all day long who do not like you and do not want to talk to you... yikes. Even if it pays well... how can you appreciate that "line" of work? No pun intended.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

It's no different than any other sales job. Cold calling centers suck, but if you find a good company who produces call lists of already interested consumers, the job is extremely rewarding. I'm sure once you saw your first commission/bonus you'd think much differently about phone sales.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Even if you are on the do not call list, you still get calls for donations and surveys.
Annoying as hell!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Sorry Seth but this was just too funny not to post...

Prank on a telemarketer...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Even if you are on the do not call list, you still get calls for donations and surveys.
Annoying as hell!

Yes! I know. Sometimes I have seen the same number of a survey call like 3 or 4 times in one day.

Thank you Night Star.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Telemarketers?

I love when they call I try to keep the convo going as long as humanly possible as I know I ain't buying crap but am enjoying the web I weave.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

do you work? then whatever your job entails, is selling something to someone or funneling some sort of money from somewhere. maybe some people have no other ways of earning a living, whatever your job is i can find some way it is equally as immoral or annoying as a telemarketer.

yes i work as a telemarketer to some degree, and no its not my lifes passion, and yes i went to college and graduated with a degree and didnt plan on doing this as a career but i have to support my family somehow. so either i annoy you and call you each 'asking' for money through products im selling, or i dont work at all then your 'forced' to give me money through welfare.

telemarketers are people too, most of them if not all of the ones i know are just as annoyed by it as you are, were humans with feelings and dreams and failures just like you, have some compassion.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by Nurelic

I have my home land line on the "no call list", but still get telemarketers. When its a recording it is supposed to have a opt out feature at the end, usually by pressing 2. If it's a real person I ask for the person first and last name and then their home phone number since they know mine I want to know theirs. They usually hang up, the one person that didn't I asked when they would be home and I'll call them back then. He said no thank you and hung up.
edit on 5-4-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

When you get an automated call, press the pound button 20 times or so in quick succession. It sends a signal or is recognized by most computer systems as a bad number (non functional) and gets deleted from their autodialer.

:-). My parents used to own a call center, so I'm aware of some of the good tricks.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I worked as a telemarketer years ago. It paid better than any other job I could find.

I really hated calling people because I didn't want to sell credit cards to people esp when I am against credit cards. I did get out of selling the NRA card by saying i was against the NRA, which wasn't true it just got me out of selling them.

Telemarketers are allowed to call until 9pm by law which is just insane! If you tell them to take you off their list they have to and i know many don't because they want to be jerks and keep calling you to annoy you. If they continue to call report them to the Better Business Bureau, it's harassment. I use to have a list of all the federal laws with telemarketing and I wish I still had them. THey sure as heck do not teach those laws anymore to people currently in telemarketing.

I had a home phone at my old apt and literally within SECONDS of ATT (I HATE THEM) hooking up my phone line I had solicitors CALLING me asking for me by NAME to sell me crap! I was so irate because it was obvious ATT sold my name long before the line was even set up!!

I even had to change my number because I was being harassed by some idiots in friggin INDIA! They kept calling me and harassing me after I told them to stop calling and remove me from their list. They called every 20 mins and were rude as hell. I really can't stand outsourcing, too many people have lost their jobs in the states to this and the quality of customer service has gone down because of it. I refuse to talk to anyone in India, Mexico or Manila when it comes to telemarketing or even customer service. I will demand someone who speaks English, which is almost impossible!

What I really hate is text message telemarketing!! I refuse to give my phone number to stores because of this and they always get pissy and want to know why! I also refuse to give my email out as well. My purchase does not require any personal information period!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
OP, this might help cheer you up. Its a recording of a series of "pranks" played on telemarketers.

reply to post by Nurelic

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join