Purchased first smartphone.......creepy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

You can turn location features off.

But I realize that your new and ignorant to these gadgets. So I would ask that you educate yourself on the functions of your phone before acting a fool up in here.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I would imagine you have up to 30 days to change your mind and return the phone. If not, I suggest you beat it with a hammer, cancel contract and buy a simple no contract pay as you go phone. If you want a camera, just use a camera..etc. Any phone that knows where you are in your house is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to creepy.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am currently using Bigroad on my phone, it does logs that you can print or e-mail, and it also records the route I've driven with time stamps, saved me some trouble when a company (Nelsen Steel) tried to say they had unloaded me and my co workers, (had been waiting 4 hours to get unloaded) while they were barely going to start unloading me and I was the first truck in line from my company. the steel mill called because I was going to miss the second pick up to deliver back at Nelsen, and my boss put the steel mill on the phone with me and I told them I had proof that I had arrived at 6:15 .

Nelsen were trying to blame me and my co workers for being "late" and missing our second appointment. (in my case time is money because we get paid a percentage of what the load pays, 60 cents a pound, drivers get 36% of that, the longer it takes the less we make per hour if you calculate it that way, not only were we getting ripped off time wise, they were trying to get us in trouble, adding to that the missed load), trying to make us look bad and forcing a loss of contract with the steel mill, but it didn't work.

[truckers, we get no respect it seems, it's always our fault]

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic Lumen

Now that is what I love hearing. Truckers take so much garbage that isn't justified and isn't asked for by anything we did out there that it ought to rate it's own pay category sometimes. I hadn't actually thought of using the electronic logs I had independently for customer issues. I hadn't had it come up that way, but not for lack of policies that would have if some shipper/reciever wanted to CYA at my expense. Great way to use it! I'm making a note of that service to check out and pass along too. I know a couple guys who may be able to make good use of that.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
this video shows whats inside a normal cellphone, now imagine whats inside a smartphone !

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

But I realize that your new and ignorant to these gadgets. So I would ask that you educate yourself on the functions of your phone before acting a fool up in here.

Was that really necessary? Yes I do realize now that I can disable GPS tracking in apps, but you also need to educate yourself and read the OT because obviously you failed to read and comprehend the thread opening. Even after disabling GPS my phone can still be tracked through my wifi networks and through cellular towers, GPS just makes it so accurate that it pinpoints your location within 3 feet of your actual location.

So, Where did I act a fool? Before coming on here and trying to sound all informed and looking like a smart@ss check you're info and read the OT thoroughly and comprehend it. Ok? Thanks. :]

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice

I would imagine you have up to 30 days to change your mind and return the phone. If not, I suggest you beat it with a hammer, cancel contract and buy a simple no contract pay as you go phone. If you want a camera, just use a camera..etc. Any phone that knows where you are in your house is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to creepy.

I think I'm just going to look past it, for now at least. This phone is a neccesity for me right now, and is extremely handy, especially when i'm out and about,

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Hey, look...Nick Burns is an ATS member:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

yeah its crazy but i have latitude on my kids phone she carries eveywhere in her pocket so if she is missing ican find her . and if she wanders off and gets lost i have told her to call mme ot her mo and stay right where she at so we can track her with lattitude

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Was that really necessary? Yes I do realize now that I can disable GPS tracking in apps, but you also need to educate yourself and read the OT because obviously you failed to read and comprehend the thread opening. Even after disabling GPS my phone can still be tracked through my wifi networks and through cellular towers, GPS just makes it so accurate that it pinpoints your location within 3 feet of your actual location.

So, Where did I act a fool? Before coming on here and trying to sound all informed and looking like a smart@ss check you're info and read the OT thoroughly and comprehend it. Ok? Thanks. :]

You can stop location from WI-FI by going to Settings>Location and Security>Use Wireless Networks (or similar on other Android versions). And no, neither your phone nor anyone else's can track your location through your cellular network. The only reason this would be used would be in exceptional circumstances (emergency services etc.) and it would not be very accurate.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
You can install any number of custom roms (customized android operating systems) to help minimize the amount of bloatware/spyware. Likewise, leaving off gapps (google apps) will reduce "clutter/spyware" at a cost of some gee-wiz functions. It is an involved process and not for the faint of heart. This is a good place to learn all manner of such things:

www.xda-developers.com...

You can install apps directly from .apk files and you can also use different app repositories. Be sure to take the time to read and understand the permissions your potential new app is demanding. If, during installation, your shiny new web browser demands the right to "take pictures and video", perhaps it's not the best choice for your privacy or security. Also, personally, I would not use any app on android that involved my financial info.

One last thing. Placing your smartphone in an anti-static, metalized bag (from motherboard, video board, etc) will cut off 100% of the phone's I/O with the outside world. It's a quick and dirty way to go stealth.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm absolutely hooked on my iPhone. I explored all the settings right away, learned about what needed to be turned off, and when.
It's my only internet right now, it's an iBook reader, my skymap, my flashlight (itorch), my weather info, my online bank, my oven timer, a compass, a camera, etc.
I saw one used as a building level last nite

Just learn about it, if you use your camera, make sure location services are off.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Well I finally got everything disabled and even removed all my bloatware from my phone, I rooted my phone, it voided my insurance contract on it, but if it comes down to the phone messing up I already have a plan so that they won't be able to find out if it is rooted, I'll just run over it and let it sit in water all night if I have to return for a replacement, haha.

<< 1   >>

join