It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short Stature And Low IQ In North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The World Food Program and UNICEF reported last year that chronic malnutrition had left 42 percent of North Korean children stunted — meaning their growth was seriously impaired, most likely permanently. An earlier report by the U.N. agencies warned that there was strong evidence that physical stunting could be accompanied by intellectual impairment.

South Korean anthropologists who measured North Korean refugees here in Yanji, a city 15 miles from the North Korean border, found that most of the teenage boys stood less than 5 feet tall and weighed less than 100 pounds. In contrast, the average 17-year-old South Korean boy is 5-feet-8, slightly shorter than an American boy of the same age.

I get that it's probably going to skew the numbers if you're only sampling refugees, most likely those most affected by famine, but that's still a pretty shocking difference, especially when you take into account that before WW2 Koreans in what is now North Korea were slightly taller on average.

I found this next part very interesting, and wonder what would actually happen if there were unification.

"This is our nightmare," anthropologist Chung said. "We don't want to get into racial stereotyping or stigmatize North Koreans in any way. But we also worry about what happens if we are living together and we have this generation that was not well-fed and well-educated."

So pretend that somehow North and South are unified. It does sound like a nightmare for the South. All of a sudden having a huge group of people with health problems, poor education and most likely low IQs. I can imagine a TON of resentment from South Koreans if the two countries joined. Not to mention that many in the North probably have some very skewed world views. It seems like a recipe for disaster/war all over again.

It makes a lot of sense to me that the new Glorious Leader is stirring the pot at the moment. I'm sure many quietly whisper that he's too young to lead, and that the old guard are telling him the more naughtyword he talks, the more aid he'll be able to rake in. Get the people pumped up and create a common enemy, pretend to be a strong military leader against this enemy and watch people fall in line. Shoot Americans love a President in war times, imagine if we were fed as much (let's not make little snide remarks) propaganda as it appears the North Koreans are?

I'm all rambly tonight. Sorry. Read the article though, it's interesting.

Link

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

There have been some decent studies done on the impact of nutrition on height..

The Height Gap

Over the past thirty years, a new breed of “anthropometric historians” has tracked how populations around the world have changed in stature. Height, they’ve concluded, is a kind of biological shorthand: a composite code for all the factors that make up a society’s well-being. Height variations within a population are largely genetic, but height variations between populations are mostly environmental, anthropometric history suggests. If Joe is taller than Jack, it’s probably because his parents are taller. But if the average Norwegian is taller than the average Nigerian it’s because Norwegians live healthier lives. That’s why the United Nations now uses height to monitor nutrition in developing countries. In our height lies the tale of our birth and upbringing, of our social class, daily diet, and health-care coverage. In our height lies our history.

This lines up with what your articles say about NK and does collaborate what we read about the living conditions there..

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The north operates on a military first, Juche system .

It seems that they believe using the military to extort aid from the rest of the world to in turn build their military stronger , to then in turn extort even more aid to then continue extorting aid is their plan .

As mentioned , they follow a Juche system . Which basically says rely on yourself . Seems it works for the military but not so much for their common people .

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Another reason they look malnourished and shorter than their 5' 8" South Korean counterparts.

South Koreans have McDonalds a.k.a McSteroids

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm Irish and less than 5 feet tall. The tallest woman in my family is 5'3. We have not gone hungry in our youth, quite contrary. My tallest daughter is 5'2 ... where does a height study like that leave the Irish people, as I know for a fact that my bloodline isn't the only one with a petite lineage. The men however fare a bit better, the tallest man in our family is 5'5.

Just curious on how this axiom can apply, especially seeing that I am the 2nd generation born Canadian... How does it explain the petite disposition of some of the more "well fed" height deficient populace?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Does half of Ireland have a populace that is 8 inches shorter than the other?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If I was so inclined, I might make the point that North Korea is akin to an NWO experiment in social control. A passive population that refuses to revolt, even in the face of starvation, exaltation of a series of idiot leaders and bizarre behaviour on the part of the ruling class.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If your main aim is to build a military then low a low IQ makes for the perfect soldier. They don't ask too many questions and simply go where they are told. This could be somewhat deliberate.

I would suggest that just like in other famine areas of the world, the food aid that is sent, invariably goes to the military stockpile. I can just see NK soldiers shooting at US troops while eating from a box marked 'American food aid."

P

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Invariance

Does half of Ireland have a populace that is 8 inches shorter than the other?

Who said anything about half?

And 8 inches is a pretty wild claim since the average male is 5'7 Know your Facts

I was indicating that there are petite people in all cultures, not necessarily indicative of nutrition.
edit on 4-4-2013 by Invariance because: I needed to

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Look no farther than Germany.

Living here, I have heard much about what happened after reunification after the wall fell.

There was, still is, resentment from the west Germans towards their eastern cousins.

The drain on social programmes.
The drain on medical programmes.
The drain on welfare programmes.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I dont need that to tell me how its like there this more then enough.

At least China looks better then the darken NK. Poor people.

new topics

top topics

join