It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOVA - Russian Meteor Strike 2013

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

NOVA - the subject of this thread - purposely kept the zoom-in of the break-up from its viewers, that it was kept away intentionally, and that this is interesting.

The producers, who presumably know about science and definitely know about the medium they work in, understand that zooming in on a video image not only does not add any information, it can create artifacts that can mislead the inexperienced eye. They made the most logical choice. If you go to YouTube, I'm sure you can find many videos where amateurs who understand neither science nor video, have processed the images to create the illusion of UFOs, crosses, demons, etc.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sealing

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
So far, 3 ex-NASA astronauts are selling tickets to the Astronaut Threat.

Rusty Schweickart.
Eric Lu.
Bill Nelson.

Let's check some of these quotes.

But while the project would be helpful for planetary defence, Schweickart added, "that's not your primary mission". Source www.guardian.co.uk...

What Schweickart is saying is that although planetary defense is not the primary mission it could be a secondary (or Top Secret) mission.

"It really is a clever concept. Go find your ideal candidate for an asteroid. Go get it robotically and bring it back," said Florida senator Bill Nelson as he unveiled the plans at a press conference.

What Senator Bill Nelson is saying is that NASA has studied this problem for quite some time and that President Obama supports it and they will spend another $100 million dollars to plan the mission. In my opinion $100M doesn't come close to fully paying for an asteroid lasso mission. Would they be dumping more money into it for planning and studies if they didn't think it was a good idea?

On March 20, 2013, B612 Founder and CEO Dr. Ed Lu gave his testimony to the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Science and Space entitled “Assessing the Risks, Impacts, and Solutions for Space Threats.” Source www.scoop.it...

After 6.5 years of operation it will discover and track approximately
1,000,000 NEOs, as compared to the currently known total of about 10 thousand. Not only will this
catalog provide a list of potential targets for robotic and human exploration, but should any of these
NEOs be on a collision course this information can allow us to successfully mount a deflection
campaign and prevent a catastrophe. Our future may depend on it. Source b612foundation.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

And I applaud them. USA is probably the only country right now with the resources to go ahead with these kinds of missions. I applaud the Russia's efforts in this field, and think other capable countries should join up. Not because of some alleged alien attack, but because asteroids present a real danger, and because they need to be closely studied and, if possible, exploited.

www.wired.co.uk...
edit on 6-4-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

If you are running Firefox go to tools, addons, get addons, hit search and look for youtube unblocker 0.3.0.
click install, restart browser and tell the crown to eat your shorts.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Fun video about dealing with asteroids

"NASA is locating less than 30% of near-Earth asteroids large enough to wipe out Texas. What will happen next?"

I'm glad to see that the humanity is finally getting off its collective ass and starting to face the potential dangers and benefits of asteroids.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I thought the NOVA documentary was entertaining, but as is often the case when scientific material is the subject of a documentary, the program makers don't get it quite right in places.

For example, the timelapsed footage of the night sky at 6.28 and 14.50, which looks like meteors flying in the sky, but is in fact footage of aircraft (at least mostly - although perhaps there is a meteor or two somewhere in there which I did not see), and the CGI animation of the asteroid belt that hugely misrepresents the density of the asteroid belt.

The Channel 4 documentary was better IMO. I still have yet to catch the BBC1 documentary, which is supposedly the better of the 3.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

You've completely forgotten to include momentum in the equation. A large object is much harder to slow down if it's moving - momentum vastly overcomes air-resistance in the case of large objects. Small objects on the other hand have little mass, so they don't have great momentum, and what little there is is easily overcome by air-resistance.

TY didnt take that into consideration. Was playing devils advocate. Ive viewed every video and cant find others that show the mystery object with a different flight path pierce the meteriote. HOWEVER we have all seen ORIGNAL VIDEO

its not edited you can still make out the light projected infront of meteorite from the impact. NOW going with what your saying.. if it was breaking up as NORMAL meteorites break up, then pieces that would break off would fall behind from not having the mass to pierce through the atmosphere to move ahead of it. instead it would hit resistance and fall behind not propel forward. MAYBE when it blew up but it was just starting to heat up it didnt blow up yet. that came a few seconds later.

Im trying to be logical about this not trying to sound like a i know everything, but i do use common sense. if im wrong i admit it and thank the person that shows me im wrong, because then ill have information to make me right if i have to explain again. plz prove me wrong (thinking it might be lens flare...) reviewed zoomed in again not lens flare...
edit on 13-4-2013 by Sagitaris because: reviewed zoomed in version to determine if lens flare.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

watch original bro you can see the light shot infront of the meteorite some people edit original to zoom in or invert color HENCE zoom in version...

either way its notice able

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
one more thing why does it have two smoke trails?

maybe cause it was starting to break up and then went critical and blew up to form the single trail?

started breaking up cause something made it break up..

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sagitaris
plz prove me wrong (thinking it might be lens flare...) reviewed zoomed in again not lens flare...

It's not lens flare, although lens flare is also visible in the footage. If you watch the footage again, look at the diffraction spikes (when it becomes very bright you can see star-like spikes extending away from the meteor - those are diffraction spikes), and you will see "hot spots" (patches that are brighter than the surrounding parts of the spikes). These "hot-spots" are probably due to fine scratches on the windscreen, and it's these fine scratches that are probably causing light to be diffracted and look like there is another bright object.

Whilst technically it can't be called "lens flare", it is a similar process/effect. I'd call it "windscreen flare".
edit on 13-4-2013 by FireballStorm because: typo

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Microsoft Windows

Buildings reglazed after meteorite strike in Russia

news.xinhuanet.com...[editb y]edit on 28-6-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2   >>

join