The media portrayal of North Korea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I know there is already a heap of threads about North Korea, so this is more about how it is being perceived and shown to the public at large through the main media outlets.

Here in Australia there is very much a negative tone with North Korea being blamed for all the provocation while America is shown to be the reluctant hero upgrading the defenses. There has been no balanced and fair reporting explaining why NK is annoyed or the full role that America has played in these events, like trade sanctions, seizure of bank accounts and upgrading assault capabilities in the region.

Unfortunately this type of reporting does remind me very much of the media campaigns against Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi before the military campaigns kicked of to help build public support. How is the media in your country showing these events?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
As a student of history I see the same provocation occurring that lead to the bombing of Pearl harbor.
Backing someone up against the wall no matter how small will always end in a fight or flight scenario.
If the little guy just happens to have access to weapons well he may just use them.

Let me be clear I am not apologizing/justifying for the threats now occurring I am making an observation.

My grandfather was in the last Korean war and it was horror which still affects him today.

If we do not learn from the lessons of history we are doomed to repeat them.

Who is really pulling the strings and pushing the buttons to make this thing happen I mean really war is just good business for certain interests. Meanwhile the youth of the world get thrown into the meat grinder.

I have not heard one mention of the similarities of these 2 scenarios in the media. Starving a country of supplies puts them in a very tight position as does flying nuclear capable bombers near their border.

Look at the Cuban Missile Crisis. The U.S. almost did the same thing NK is doing now. Here's an idea instead of insulting their leader perhaps people should take a page out of Reagan's book. If you want to see the horror of Nukes try visiting your local war museum. Try visiting Pearl Harbor it will make you think twice about the PsiOps the media produces to create Warmongering.

We are all human we are caretakers of this world Imagine it better then be the change you want to see. I choose to see a world where healing happens not warmongering.
edit on 4-4-2013 by Shirak because: Add sum more

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

You do realize that its North Korea that's been warmongering since the 1950's. Everything we have done has been a responsive effort, not a proactive one.

Do you not remember that it was NK that launched an unprovoked attack against the South? Should we not have responded to that in your pacifist view?

Should we simply remove our troops and hope that NK doesn't move south again? Certainly everyone has nothing but love in the world right?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Just gonna throw this one into the bag.......

Have you seen the giant floating early warning radar they are going to park of the coast of NK?

en.wikipedia.org...

In April 2013 it was reported that SBX-1 was being deployed to monitor North Korea.

This and many other things that are never reported to the public in Australia about NK and the US.

I wouldn't be suprised this is why he is getting his SIZE XXL nickers in a twist.
edit on 4-4-2013 by CaptainBeno because: forgot a bit!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

I do have the same aims as you and is why I am trying to call out the media and its tactics with this thread. Also help gauge some of the international opinion with this thread, so if anyone know what line Russia and China is playing I would really appreciate it.

The situation with the nuclear B2 bombers is another clear example of just how bias our Australian media is being. Nothing about this has made the news headlines, but as NK moves one of its missiles it receives huge attention with constant updates and discussion. It is clearly designed to provoke a fear response in the Australian public towards North Korea.

I do acknowledge that there are industrial incentives with a nation that spends as much on its military that America does. Now that Afghanistan is winding down some conflict is needed to justify such extreme spending.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

You clearly did not read my Post please reread. My Grandfather was in the last Korean war. I am fully aware of their atrocities.
My point being instead of provoking we should be building bridges. Reading many interweb posts some people just want to watch the world burn.
edit on 4-4-2013 by Shirak because: add sum more

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

North Korea HAS provoked this. Start to finish and been pushing since 1992 when everyone was supposedly making nice nice and promising to have no nukes on the Peninsula. They promised the world, over and over again, they had NO weapons program. Oh..goodness. Certainly not. It's all for peaceful means. (Where have we heard that before?) ..and I'll bet some would even argue the point today if he hadn't actually detonated nuclear weapons to prove all this has been lies and deception. If you're really curious there are listings of the various multi-party talks with signed agreements, international agreements and pinky swear promises not to EVER do precisely what he's BEEN doing all this time.

Now, he pops a couple tests that look like they may have actually been successful in all they were hoping for (They're still, to my knowledge, the first nation to ever try for a nuclear weapon in a serious way and NOT succeed with a good detonation of the first full scale test.. Err... that must be embarrassing for a record).

Is South Korea pushing? Is the US pushing...hell yes and we can all clearly see that. However, the fundamental issues that CAUSED it ..as in, none would have happened otherwise ...are the Nuclear Weapons and threats to use them against everyone but the mailman, it seems. The world won't tolerate Nuclear threats for long ...and thats 100% entirely his own doing.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak

You clearly did not read my Post please reread. My Grandfather was in the last Korean war. I am fully aware of their atrocities.
My point being instead of provoking we should be building bridges. Reading many interweb posts some people just want to watch the world burn.
edit on 4-4-2013 by Shirak because: add sum more

And if they provoke you first?

This is what is happening. Are you suggesting that while they are waving a gun in our face we simply back down and build bridges for them?

Talk about your liberal internationalists.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If a nuke explodes any time soon anywhere on the planet, will there be any question who's behind it? Probably not, which worries me.

link   

Agreed, I'm seeing the same thing here in the US.
N.Korea is the red threat and the USofA is for apple pie and MOM!
...ummm yeah...about that...
Yhe other thing that is being pressed is what a well oiled machine N.Korea is and the powerful tech they possess.

Once again, the press is getting us all fired up to go beat on cavemen.

link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Surely building bridges is preferable to a mushroom cloud over your city or those of your loved ones or the radiation fallout that would occur should the alternative be pushed. Peace takes hard work.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm just sick and tired of war.

I'm even more sick and tired of this BS divisive "us vs. them" mentality and the constant fear and paranoia that goes with it.

I will no longer be supporting any military action period, or the intervention of that military into the affairs of other countries. In fact, other than diplomacy, I will no longer support us getting involved in the affairs of other countries period.

We're feeding into a nonsensical warmongering. There's plenty of people, even Christians, who froth at the mouth whenever rumors of war start to pop up.

Most of us want peace. Why is it that we cannot achieve it and fall right back into the beating of the drums?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

This thread is about the media portrayal of events in Korea. It is clear to see that things are a mess and have been for a very long time. Without a clear and unbiased picture of just what is going on, any chance for responsible answers will be a lot harder to find.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Reread my first post your postulation of what I am suggesting is completely out of line with what I have written. It is a projection of your own intention and far skewed from my original post.

Perhaps you should go read up on the prelude to Pearl Harbor and the position Japan was in with blockades that is the point I was making if you read about it you should be able to grasp my point.

As I said in my first post I am not making apologies for their behavior I am making an observation and I will not apologize for seeing a correlation in the events.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with liberty or seeing this world as a whole. Isolationism is what leads to wars. (My opinion)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I must admit the MSM is saying what one would expect them to say. As much as I disagree with Carbon Tax i'm Glad at least JG is attempting to build some bridges and work with China for a solution. I haven to had a chance to see any updates through ABC and SBS they tend to put a little less spin on things to the privately owned networks which of course will always push the agenda of the owners. It is after all a stage an a show to shape public opinion.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
We will only learn a percentage of what is actually happening, the media both in N Korea and the west will both only present propaganda and selective facts to their respective audiences.
The wording is critical in this type of reporting and as many posters have pointed out the demonisation of the intended enemy is vital to persuading your population that the enemy is somehow evil and/or inhuman.

The regime in N Korea needs to be changed and their treatment of their people is a blight upon humanity, if this could be done peacfully it would be wonderful but I fear that the signs are not good.

One thing I have noticed from the MSM here in Europe is how many reports of Kim Jong Un's threats against the West actually are bereft of video footage of him actually issuing these threats, if they exist why aren't they shown, which would help the MSM drum up support for his deposition.

I always treat the MSM with a sceptical eye but when it begins the demonisation process I do believe that it is merely another facet to the military effort. Ask Colonel Ghadaffi - oh right!
Just my 2 cents.
edit on 4/4/13 by HumansEh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The nuclear issue is a big headline behind this, much like the WDM debate with Iraq. The hypocrisy of this staggering and not a rule of law, but rule of power. Now that NK is in the MAD club there is only reason for them to use them, they are dead anyway. The only threat against the South is if they are to invade.

Try putting yourself in their position, how would the US respond if they where forced to give up their nukes? The answer would be quite clear and they would give them up by launching them at the aggressor. The nuclear issue is not one that can be forced without the destruction of cities. Trust is at an all time low and trust is the only way to take away the nuclear threat in a safe manner. Now that NK cannot even trust the banking system there is a long way to go to get out of this mess.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak

Reread my first post your postulation of what I am suggesting is completely out of line with what I have written. It is a projection of your own intention and far skewed from my original post.

Perhaps you should go read up on the prelude to Pearl Harbor and the position Japan was in with blockades that is the point I was making if you read about it you should be able to grasp my point.

As I said in my first post I am not making apologies for their behavior I am making an observation and I will not apologize for seeing a correlation in the events.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with liberty or seeing this world as a whole. Isolationism is what leads to wars. (My opinion)

I know very well why Japan felt the need to attack Pearl Harbor and I also know the reasons we blockaded them which led to the attack. The cutting off of supplies was the right call regardless of the consequences and the same can be said for the sanctions against NK.

I may be misreading your posts but it appears to me that your saying in order to prevent future hostilities we should lift the sanctions and quit pushing them.

I would reply that they are causing the sanctions by their actions and therefore we should not back down but squeeze tighter.

If I'm misunderstanding your stance than I apologize.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I felt the media fueled and to a large extent drove the recession. Now I feel like they are driving us into yet another war, and this one may involve a nuclear element. I sincerely hope their executives really think about what they are doing and the millions of people they affect.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleverhans
If a nuke explodes any time soon anywhere on the planet, will there be any question who's behind it? Probably not, which worries me.

If an explosion that isn't a nuke, but happens where no one can examine it prior to it being declared a "for sure" NK nuke, is a problem too. The PR is perfect, anything out of the ordinary, even a busted pipeline can be blamed on them - oddly enough it has happened countless times before and worked to pefection.

The US isn't in danger of being taken over by NK, but the portrayal sounds a lot like one middle east dictator who's people were not free and who had WMD that could reach a major US city on a moments notice, who funded terrorists, may have had nukes and just had to go. Keep this later story in mind when you wonder why he was left in place after "desert storm." There was a reason, the same reason NK and SK have only been in a cease fire for half a century.
Patterns are patterns.

NK is the perfect spook, it was set up this way 50 years ago - plans come to fruition at different times, as it is isolated, no one visits to verify a thing, the only "information" is CIA created, they are political bogyman perfection. Keep in mind, the inflammatory rhetoric comes from the government PR machine.

They're crime? Bad governance it would seem on the surface. They're deeper crime? Refusing to join the IMF. They're real purpose for existing in the context they exist in now - a trigger for World Warring for good. They were left in place as a special backdoor, an emergency level, to bring about the fruition of the grand plan.

If the NK effort comes to fruition, the end of humanity as we know it now will happen. Strong words I know, but this plan has been thousands, and thousands of years in the making, and the process is simply seeking a way to get the collective on the planet to demand action: When we demand action it won't be for what we've been told it was for, but for something beyond our wildest notions. The folks who control the planet play by other rules, they play another game with an end goal that is nothing, nothing - not even close, to what the PR says it is.

If this happens, according to plan, my guess is it will happen within the month, and things will escalate beyond comprehension.

Ask yourself this question: As you sit, right here, right now, how does killing all the north koreans, the iranians, the syrians, the remaining iraqis, help you today. How does regime change help you. When you seek to answer, you cannot use any PR rhetoric, simply ask your self how killing the John and Jane Does will help you today.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join