Mega pastor Joel Osteen resigns, rejects Christ, cites 'lack of faith'

page: 1
9
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Saw this on reddit....not sure what's going but it would be awesome if it's true, Osteen's full of crap and needs to take a fall:

"Houston, Texas - CNN.com - In a shocking and surprising development, megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has announced he is resigning from his post and leaving the Christian faith."

christianitynewstexas.blogspot.com...
edit on 4-4-2013 by CUBD1 because: changed a link




posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Full article here, interesting stuff...

"Some of his parishioners at his Lakewood, Texas area megachurch expressed anger. "We've given him so much, and now he's leaving us?" said Jim Burger, 65, a ten-year member of the church. "We won't stand for it."

In recent months, Osteen had demonstrated a willingness to deviate from Christian doctrine, often peppering his sermons with "New Age" references and at one point calling himself "God".

The incident occurred in February and created a local uproar. Halfway through his morning Sunday service he dropped to his knees and began crying, and then announced, "I am God! I am just as much a God as our Lord is!" The 10,000 members in attendance appeared stunned. Osteen later released an apology, and blamed the outburst on a lack of sleep due to his busy travel schedule."

christianitynewstexas.blogspot.com...



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Nothing reflecting as such on his own site:
www.joelosteen.com...

And the reference in your link which claims to be his own site (notice the misspelling of his last name) is not.

I'd go ahead and say it is a hoax. Whether by harmless tricksters or hateful, intolerant "progressives" I couldn't say.

As for me, I'm a crappy, nonpracticing Catholic who has no skin in the game. That is my objective 2 cents on "Pastor Joel"'s alleged announcement.
edit on 4-4-2013 by SELAboy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CUBD1
 
Not so surprising. Many pastors start out faithful and with only the best of intentions, but once they gain fame and fortune they lose sight of who they once were and become corrupted by the bright lights and the big collection plates. We have seen this happen over and over again- maybe not the exact same circumstances but usually the same outcome....a fall from grace.

ETA: If it turns out to be a hoax good, but that doesn't mean it won't occur for real sooner or later.
edit on 4-4-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
In pursuing the source of this announcement it appears to be bogus.
edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: Correct



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
WHAT!!!


I have a hard time understanding this. So many people follow him.
No matter what he is a good speaker.
edit on 4-4-2013 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
[HOAX]
edit on 4-4-2013 by Xenoglossy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SELAboy
Nothing reflecting as such on his own site:
www.joelosteen.com...

And the reference in your link which claims to be his own site (notice the misspelling of his last name) is not.

I'd go ahead and say it is a hoax. Whether by harmless tricksters or hateful, intolerant "progressives" I couldn't say.

As for me, I'm a crappy, nonpracticing Catholic who has no skin in the game. That is my objective 2 cents on "Pastor Joel"'s alleged announcement.
edit on 4-4-2013 by SELAboy because: (no reason given)


Hmm wow ya i did not see that about the site.

I'm not sure I'd call them "hateful progressives".... I think Osteen is a shyster and full of crap. You ever listen to him? He's on the local TV here on Saturdays and Sundays. Total snake oil. His brand of preaching is called something like "prosperity gospel", he's all about having faith to make money, build a fortune, always talking about how if you just have enough faith your next big bonus/job/house/good fortune is right around the corner. I heard the guy has a private jet and a ton of money.

so anyway idk wtf is going on but damn it would be hilarious if any of this is actually true but i doubt it.



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
[HOAX]
edit on 4-4-2013 by Xenoglossy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
[HOAX]
edit on 4-4-2013 by Xenoglossy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's a crock. The "source" material is a website designed to look legit - but is "Joel Osten" and not "Joel Osteen". According to Bing Joel Osteen was just interviewed two days ago to defend the History Channels series on the Bible.

This has the appearance of a smear campaign.

FTR I am not a fan of any televangelists. I tend to personally believe there is a special place in Hell for those who get rich fleecing the flock.



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The CNN article referenced is also a complete fake.
Search the CNN site. This would be a national media story if it actually happened. He has one of the largest megachurches in the nation.
As a relatively agnostic, crappy Catholic, I've always felt Osteen was very positive, upbeat, and stressed tolerance, helping others, and using positive influences and thought to better yourself. If anything, he is a motivational speaker with religious overtones. Could use a lot more people like him in our society if you ask me.
edit on 4-4-2013 by SELAboy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CUBD1
 


Well...if he's getting all new agey...maybe he'll start pushing *The Secret* next. Sounds like he has the rhetoric down pat.

Will riches to come to you...but pass some to him while you're waiting..

Des



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SELAboy
The CNN article referenced is also a complete fake.
Search the CNN site. This would be a national media story if it actually happened. He has one of the largest megachurches in the nation.
As a relatively agnostic, crappy Catholic, I've always felt Osteen was very positive, upbeat, and stressed tolerance, helping others, and using positive influences and thought to better yourself. If anything, he is a motivational speaker with religious overtones. Could use a lot more people like him in our society if you ask me.
edit on 4-4-2013 by SELAboy because: (no reason given)


one of my aunts is totally into him. i hear so much about him from her i did some research. a lot of christians have a problem with his 'brand' of christianity. he's got like 15 books. the guy is basically a motivational speaker cloaked and wrapped in the bible and scripture. i think he seems like a nice guy, but i agree with some of the criticism over his 'prosperity gospel', which is all about dangling the proverbial carrot in front of people, 'hey, a little more faith, you'll get that house.'

i mean, i've listened to the guy and i've heard it myself. all his stuff is very basic, really dumbed down, really cliched, all about 'just do this and you'll get this.' com'on, man, is that what christ was really about?

at least he's no ed young, telling people they'll be cursed if they don't tithe.



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Fake.

Look at the spelling on the site. Olseen is spelled wrong. They left an "e" out.

www.joel... osten ministries.com/



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CUBD1
Saw this on reddit....not sure what's going but it would be awesome if it's true, Osteen's full of crap and needs to take a fall:

"Houston, Texas - CNN.com - In a shocking and surprising development, megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has announced he is resigning from his post and leaving the Christian faith."

christianitynewstexas.blogspot.com...
edit on 4-4-2013 by CUBD1 because: changed a link


Most organized religions simply don't read the Bible and then follow it.

One of the few times Christ got physically angry it was when people were trying to use a religious building to make money.

Somewhere in the Bible it says that the hireling careth not for the sheep. If the Mormons can run a church without a paid ministry, anyone can.

All paid ministries are simply operating with a conflict of interest. Jesus did not get paid to get Crucified. It was a duty, obligation, and service. That's what the Mormons have right, despite the fact that they have serious problems in other areas of doctrine.

So, whenever a hireling priest steels, renounces their faith, buys sex from same sex prostitutes, none of it surprises me since their ministry unlike the Mormons was never really about service anyway.



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CUBD1
 


As if any T.V. evangelist has any faith. Nothing but swindlers and con men. Swaggert, Popov, Hagee, Baker, more car salesmen then anything else. Glad my faith goes far beyond the doors of any religion. Follow Christ, not Joel Osteen. Quack !
edit on 4-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide
 


?? Why not move it to HOAX bin, then?



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
From the fair use disclaimer:




This site is the property of Pastor Joel Osten and Joel Osten Ministries. It bears no relation to "Joel Osteen" or "Lakewood Church". Any implication or relation to "Joel Osteen" and the "Lakewood Church" is purely coincidental.


...coincidental.



posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
From the fair use disclaimer:




This site is the property of Pastor Joel Osten and Joel Osten Ministries. It bears no relation to "Joel Osteen" or "Lakewood Church". Any implication or relation to "Joel Osteen" and the "Lakewood Church" is purely coincidental.


...coincidental.


Wha..? double post...
edit on 4-4-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)





new topics
top topics
 
9
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join