It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened tonfree speech?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hello all. I want to know what happened to free speech. I was on twitter and answered somones mesage about or illustrious president, what a joke and they deleted my account. So i went in and started another under my othere email and they deleted it too. When did free speech go out the window. I wanted to use my introduction for my actual story but this upset me just a little bit. This country truly has become a dictatorship if just expressing your opinion about the way our press is running things can get you bared from a web site for life. What is our country coming too. I have to shed a tear for our children and grand children because they will be worse off than us now.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptNemo2012

This comes from a misunderstanding of Free Speech. Twitter is a privately owned entity - IE anyone using their service has agreed to their terms and conditions.

Let me rephrase that... by joining Twitter you agreed to their rules. When you violated those rules you were not censored... you simply violated the contract.

We spend so much time fixated on "rights" these days that we've lost sight of personal responsibility.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

This comes from a misunderstanding of Free Speech. Twitter is a privately owned entity - IE anyone using their service has agreed to their terms and conditions.

Let me rephrase that... by joining Twitter you agreed to their rules. When you violated those rules you were not censored... you simply violated the contract.

We spend so much time fixated on "rights" these days that we've lost sight of personal responsibility.

I don't think it's that simple. So free speech then, but only on public property? Perhaps in "free speech designated zones" as well (akin to where we can protest today)? Modern communication platforms have supplanted many of the communication channels people used to use more heavily.

I think OP has a point. We already cried for the OP though, being people who were adults in the 90s.

So OP, what will you do about it?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hello and welcome!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak

I don't think it's that simple. So free speech then, but only on public property?
I think OP has a point. We already cried for the OP though, being people who were adults in the 90s.

Free Speech in an absolute sense has never applied to private property. If movie theater ejects a patron who will not stop talking during the film - is that infringement?

If I kick a guest out because he won't stop discussing sex or violence in front of my kids - is that infringement?

People have always had the right to dictate behavior on their property in this regard.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I don't think it's that simple. So free speech then, but only on public property?

Free Speech in an absolute sense has never applied to private property. If movie theater ejects a patron who will not stop talking during the film - is that infringement?

If I kick a guest out because he won't stop discussing sex or violence in front of my kids - is that infringement?

People have always had the right to dictate behavior on their property in this regard.

So once there is no public land left, once it's all sold to the highest bidder to pay the government's bills, then what? No more free speech?

edit on 4/4/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Twitter, facebook, androids, apples are all monitored. Be careful what you type.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
When you sign up for twitter you agree to obey its rules...and if you don't agree with them then don't sign up

But if you expect absolute free speech try going around south central LA calling every person a n-------r and see how long your free speech lasts

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Whatever happened to that classic creed of old-line liberalism: I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...?

It is something not heard much for decades now, just like the phrase "the free world."

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
That comes under the new hidden tax clause. You can now have charges brought against you for using the free speech.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Again - an absolutist approach IMO. There are appropriate venues for every subject. For example - If I am best man at a wedding, I am not apt to focus the subject of my toast to the couple upon politics and the NoKo situation. Just as I am not likely to discuss my newly married friends in the politics or breaking news forums here.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

How about the T & C of living as a human being, and the right to free thinking (or lack thereof)? Where are those terms and conditions written, and who writes them, because over the past few years I've encountered some fairly telling situations regarding restriction of free thinking, something most people don't even realize.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

No its not infringement. At least in my view. Your example is the one I use most often. If you are in my house and don't play by the rules I can kick you out of my house. Its that simple because its *my* house.

On the internet, people tend to forget they are playing in someone's electronic house. Well, usually some company's electronic house but still - it is *their* house and they make the rules for it. If you can't abide by them they can kick you out. Its that simple.

People tend to think of sites on the internet as public and think free speech should apply - but in reality most are spaces owned by some entity and have rules that apply around them.

If you want a place on the net with no rules - go buy and domain name, rent a server, find a web developer and go for it. You may still have to abide by the rules of whatever hosting company you use thou.

edit on 4-4-2013 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Again - an absolutist approach IMO. There are appropriate venues for every subject. For example - If I am best man at a wedding, I am not apt to focus the subject of my toast to the couple upon politics and the NoKo situation. Just as I am not likely to discuss my newly married friends in the politics or breaking news forums here.

Or as another example.

Getting into a "free speech" discussion on an "Introductions" thread?

Welcome

reply to post by Hefficide

I see you've moved the thread! That's cheating.

edit on 4-4-2013 by BritofTexas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This is one of the problems with economic private property, you have no rights.

You have no right to free speech at work for example, because the owner has authority over your actions on their property.

The more privatization, the less freedom you have. Unless you are lucky enough to be the private owner.

Private owners rights always trump those of none-property owners. So if you support capitalism quit whining, and realise capitalism is not the freedom people think it is.

edit on 4/4/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That is my question. Have we gotten to the point that there is nothing we can do about it or can we fix it. The way our country has turned over the last couple of decades especially shows me and many others that we are going in a direction almost in total reverse of what our fore fathers fought and died for. Yes they warned us this day would come if we were not paying attention. They even gave ways to fight back if it come to this point. Have we truly passed the time when talking and voting is going to make a difference or is the pen still mighter than the sword. This is what we as americans must decide. But it seems we have to decide quickly cause preperations are already being made against us and now it looks as if we are looking down the barrel of ww3.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Getting kicked off of twitter for insulting the President is not akin to us heading for WW3, nor is it an infringement of your personal freedoms. You're over sensationalizing the situation, and beginning to fear-monger. Which are typically the tactics of individuals who don't actually have a case.

Point in case: you're still allowed to think that Obama is a bad president. And you're even still allowed to voice that opinion on a variety of forums, like ATS, in your own home, out at lunch with a friend, or walking down the sidewalk. In fact, you can join hundreds, if not thousands, of forums both online and in person, who would stroke your ego for hours over the stupidity of Obama and the Democrats. Try Faux News, or RaptureRetards. But, there's also a personal responsibility which comes with the freedom to speak your mind. Among the expectations you are expected to follow is knowing the proper forum for your diatribes.

Also among the expectations, is the requirement that you use logic, reason, and rational thinking when you make your claims. So, your claim that Obama is marching us toward WW3, that's not logical, reasonable, or rational. He's doing his best to end 2 unnecessary wars and bring our troops home. That's the exact opposite of starting a global conflict. See, logic and reason trump irrational fear-mongering every time. You ought to give it a try.

Also, I highly doubt that you were kicked off of Twitter for insulting the President, because that is a common practice on there among Christians, Republicans, and racists. Most likely, you violated some other aspect of the contract which you agreed to by signing up.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There is no such thing as free speech anywhere. So long as there is censoring, you can discover through experience and investigation the agendas that those who censor are trying to complete.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

You do not understand contracts.

Don´t you think that it is useful to have some rules in a system like twitter?

This has nothing to do with free speech. Nothing.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
my question is, has anyone tried a tweet insulting conservative, like Limbaugh or O'Reilly? if that gets squashed we know they are equal opportunity speech-limiters.. if not we'll know the Tweetverse is partisan.
if they are partisan they are shooting themselves in the foot as they will eventually short themselves of many many customers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join