It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School forces 25 hungry students to throw away lunches when they couldn’t pay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
25 Students at Robert J. Coelho Middle School in Attleboro Massachusetts were forced to throw away their lunches because they thought they might not be able to pay

An on-site employee from Whitson’s, the school system’s school lunch provider gave the order not to extend meals to students who could not pay or whose credit was already overextended

I grew up dirt poor and had to go hungry in school alot, I remember we all had lunch at the same time and had to go to the cafeteria together, and I would have to sit there hungry and watch everyone else eat

There is no way kids should go hungry at school, there should be teachers and parents in the cafeterias making sure everyone is eating.

If they see a kid with no food just put some in front of them,and Im not talking about a cheese sandwich.

A school policy requires that the cafeteria provide a cheese sandwich and milk to any student who cannot pay for regular meals

But instead of feeding hungry kids they would rather just throw the food away

www.thesunchronicle.com...

As many as 25 students at Coelho Middle School were denied meals or told to throw their lunches away Tuesday because they could not pay or their pre-paid accounts did not contain enough money, school officials said today

edit on 4-4-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I bet the principles and teachers eat well. Just suppose that the children or there parents were actually struggling to pay!. Lets face it everything is so damned expensive. People are struggling but this is not the answer in my book

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

:
Just goes to show you the sickness that has overtaken the minds of people,for whomsoever causes children to suffer,they shall be dealt an even greater suffering by a hidden hand of an unknown universe.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I received an automated call yesterday from my sons school that if I owe anything to his cafeteria bill it must be paid in full by Monday morning or else they would not allow lunch items to given to him.....
Wow!
I had never received a call like that before!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

In our school district it is very encouraged for all parents to apply for free/reduced price breakfasts and lunches. If a student doesn't qualify and still can't afford lunch a certain amount of credit is extended to them. If the credit has reached it's limit the student is then still provided with a lunch consisting of a sandwich, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a carton of milk or juice. The thought that a school would throw away food rather than give it to hungry students makes me sick- no child should have to try to learn on an empty stomach!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

It's scary knowing how many poor children are attending schools that are unable to get both breakfast and lunch to eat. Personally I feel the families do need everything they can to manage feeding their children first and pack their lunches. Like purchases cheap fruits, veggies, sandwiches, etc which they could eat at school. I never found school food to be all that great.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
In our country, where we have more food than we know what to do with, having children go hungry while food is thrown away is an unforgivable sin.

When my youngest was still in high school, I used to get calls all the time saying that her limit was reached and she had to bring more money or else she would be refused food in the cafeteria. The funny thing was, we weren't poor, but she was stubborn and didn't want to take a lunch.

But for the children who are truly hungry, how are they expected to learn and behave when they're really hungry?

It reminds me of the book "The Grapes of Wrath", which detailed the farmers in California in the 1930s who had bumper crops of things like milk and oranges, pouring the milk down into a ditch, and burying tons of organges, to keep the price up high, while starving farmworker's children watched it happen. This is truly psychopathic behavior, in which the drive for the almighty dollar is more important than feeding your fellow human beings who are hungry.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

These students never should have been denied their lunches. The policies that allow the company to do this are outrageous, but those are likely district-level policies. I think the larger problem is at home. We need to stop eating convenience foods - school lunch is convenience food, at times worse than the corner store - and start making lunch. My kids take their lunches. I have the ability to know what my kids are eating and what they're NOT eating at the end of every day and can address issues immediately. My children are not allowed to be picky, not allowed to eat junk, and not allowed to go without. I chose to have them which means I chose to provide for them.

Accountability: it's what's for lunch.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I know this is in the USA but it wouldn't surprise me if something similar doesn't happen here in the UK.

There may be many varied reasons why the childrens parents can not afford to settle their bill, which in itself may be a sad indictment of our society, but to think that there were adults who were prepared to enforce this policy absolutely staggers and disgusts me.

I dread to think what my response would be if this had ever happened to my child or does so to my grandson.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Throwing away food is crime. Then again all gmo crap that is put into school lunches, maybe these kids were better off for it.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Wow this is wrong.

No kid should go hungry! They have plenty of food and should never let a kid starve. How cruel.

I was on free lunch as a kid and when I wasn't on it my mom made sandwiches but I never had to go hungry. We didnt grow up with money, poor actually but I never lacked food.

I can't believe the school would rather throw away food than help a child! I mean WHY get into the schooling system if you aren't there to help the kids?!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
There are more and more reasons everyday to home school.

I am very seriously considering it.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

My sister-in-law home-schooled for about 8 years or so and their children are awesome! Smart, polite and obedient but a bit noisy at times, but which kid isn't?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
We can bail out banks with money they don't need - simply to cover their losses from not just dumb decisions, but patently and flagrantly irresponsible ones... But we can't feed a hungry kid one hot meal? And why is a private company handling public school lunches? A company that is operating for profit at the expense of our children in their vulnerable years?

There is something intrinsically and deeply wrong with our system.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You know kids who dont have money to pay for school meals probably dont have any food at home either.(I know we did'nt)

we pay enough taxes to make sure they get at least 1 good meal a day,and not just a cheese sandwich!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

You know kids who dont have money to pay for school meals probably dont have any food at home either.(I know we did'nt)

we pay enough taxes to make sure they get at least 1 good meal a day,and not just a cheese sandwich!!!

Exactly my thoughts. For some of these kids, school lunches are probably the best meals they get.

Can't they find something else to cut and feed those kids? That's why they are there, right? For the kids?

The world we live in gets sadder by the day... *sigh*

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redfreak
reply to post by daryllyn

My sister-in-law home-schooled for about 8 years or so and their children are awesome! Smart, polite and obedient but a bit noisy at times, but which kid isn't?

The noise level at my house is always at about defcon 7. Always.

Ever since my oldest started school, I feel sick putting him on the bus. I feel like I am throwing him to the wolves to fend for himself.

Back on topic:

Its pretty sad when money is more important than our children. Children are our future doctors, teachers, lawyers, judges, nurses, STNAs, etc.

We should really be a bit more careful with them.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
A cheese sandwich with a carton of milk? That's all they are allowed if they can't afford the regular meal?
This supposed meal doesn't even complete the food pyramid they shoved down our throats.

Even prisoners get a better meal than this and it's free.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I was fortunate - at least in a manner of speaking I suppose - in that regard. I am half Native American and always got free lunch at school. It wasn't until I was in High School and opting to eat at the McDonalds or the deli down the street each day that I got old enough to even realize that other kids had to pay for their lunches.

And your point is very spot on. There was a period in my childhood that lasted about six months where the only meat I had access to was what school served. At home, every night, was black-eyed peas and cornbread.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I got so sick of black eyed peas and cornbread I cant even eat them anymore lol

new topics

<<   2 >>

join