It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Hiring Ad: Bachelor's Degree + 2 Years Cashier Experience

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I'm an individual who loves money. Money is currency and has the value to help you achieve your dreams and help you pay your bills, buy food, buy videos games, etc. We live in a civilized society where money plays a big parts in our lives. Many people do not understand the value of money and will not save properly. But in the end they'll end loosing everything because they haven't responsibly saved and used their money. That is my view on money.

And that has made you all the more susceptible to the psychological games. Dependence on money allows you to be led by the nose using whatever media device the government chooses as its puppet. You become dependent on money and every part of your life is controlled by it. As a result, the psychological condition of the entire nation is vulnerable. The more independence we establish, the more power we have over our own lives. Money is the strings by which the government has hold of us.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I would have to respectfully disagree. I'm not a gullible individual or see the government as evil. But as a person who wants to survive in today's world. We need money to survive compared to how are ancestors who hunted and/or farmed. There was a quote I cannot find right now that does show how the money we spend on the items is a vote in the world we want. What I want to do is show money is not evil, but an item to use to allow us to buy goods and pay bills. You know what I'm saying?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is not that out of the norm actually. About 20 years ago a woman tried to recruit me to work at Taco Bell. She was a customer at the electronics store I worked at and was also some sort of mid level management for Taco Bell. She begged me to consider taking a shift leader position in her organization. Read that carefully - shift leader - IE an hourly employee who basically just does the managers job while the actual manager or assistant manager on duty does whatever it is that Taco Bell managers and assistant managers do in their little closet sized offices.

I had no interest at all in working fast food - especially not when her great offer was for about 35k less than what I was making at the time.. But she persisted. That is right up until the point where she asked me where my degree was from.

I replied that I did not have a degree and she instantly wilted. The shift leader position required a Bachelors degree. A $7.00 an hour job ( at the time ) that was nothing more than a glorified title for the one hourly employee that the managers don't worry about abusing and using.. and it required a BA.

The whole thing struck me as surreal, leading me to say "A bachelors degree is required to make taco's and mop floors in a fast food restaurant?" - but they had her trained well. She replied "Only a fool would think of it as Taco Bell. It's Pepsi - one of the most elite organizations in the entire world and we expect all of our people to be of the highest calibre.

Funny thing... I have eaten in a lot of Taco Bells over the years and am pretty sure that not even the managers seemed to be very college educated. But whatever.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Maybe they are just trying to dissuade the many unemployed or want to use it as a basis for rejecting those that the hiring team may have a bias against.
If you didn't have a degree and, for instance, you had something about you, perhaps race, looks, disability etc... then management simply points out the requirement and shows you the door. If you don't have the degree but have managed to communicate yourself to the interviewers in a positive light, perhaps they mention the degree and the fact that they may be willing to waive that because you seem like a good fit in all other respects.

To me, this is a way to keep the really down and out from ever getting up, not giving them a chance, while catering to the kids who put the effort in to get through college and now find themsleves in a pinch.

Could there be a widening class split occurring at the bottom end as well? It is posible that the posters of this ad (maybe McDonalds, maybe an independent operator of a McDonalds) have been burnt too many times in the past with the people that need to book interviews and have a contact to list on their unemployment forms that they have concentrated on trying to attract people who may just be dedicated enough to paying back thier student loan obligations that they will stick around longer once given an opportunity. Folks that you don't need to constantly train and fire are probably like gold to them.

edit on 4-4-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Interesting, you must have posted while I was writing my post (just above here). Not to say I would change my post but your's certainly brings a different perspective than what I have brought, I'm taking note that perhaps it is entirely possible that some fast food employers actually may want that and may not be using it as a disqualifying tactic.

ETA: I am starring you and thanking you for not taking that job, otherwise you would be working too many hours to have time to post your thoughts here

edit on 4-4-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling, eta

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Dude ill tell you from first hand experience... i work in a lab and our glassware washer(not a too bad position, even tho it sounds bad, but crappy pay) has 2 bachelors degree and currently doing masters as part time.

Employers can pick and choose best candidates for the same crap pay. World is no longer the Graduate today > get job tomorrow.....

Getting a good job after graduating is like winning a lottery.

My current job is not what i studied for but its pretty decent compared to so many others.

It used to be Experience > Education > Connections... now its Connections > Experience > Education(with alot of luck).

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
my 2 cents...it's to keep colleges full, and keep young people loading up on UNFORGIVABLE debt....investors have a business where the profits from the loan, can never be discharged through bankruptcy..... it's called a sure thing......

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I would have to respectfully disagree. I'm not a gullible individual or see the government as evil. But as a person who wants to survive in today's world. We need money to survive compared to how are ancestors who hunted and/or farmed.

Exactly. It used to be a physical game, but now it's take on a psychological front. You have to wage war with your intellect and ingenuity to keep from getting screwed. The real talents make it to the top, the grunts get stuck on the bottom. Those with natural ability are salvaged while the factory model blue collars get sacrificed because there's so many available. It's a giant chess game. But my contention is focused on the game objectives. What part are we playing, and how are we getting compensated? What's our end game? Are we just the gears by which the top brass gets to their paradise, or do we get a turn too?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I always ask myself that question. Everyday I ask myself. Try to understand using my rational mind and trying to understand all the difficult reports and feelings of people. I always come to the conclusion that I just need to survive. I support how science sees human nature. Humans are competitive by nature as individuals and families compete to become successful. To many people they might see my comments as heartless because I would be will to step over people to succeed in my life. No one is perfect. But I have seen the worst with being poor and I would like my share.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I have a BS in Computer and Information Science and am looking for a new job. I have several companies calling me a week. I know many others who are in the same boat. A lot of these college graduates who can't find a job have degrees in pointless majors like Liberal Arts and Philosophy, etc... The only thing you can do with a Liberal Arts degree is waste even more money and time getting your Masters and PhD in order to teach Liberal Arts (or any other meaningless field of study).

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yeah that's pretty sad and here's why. My Ex wife has worked at McDonalds and the Australian version of Taco Bell (Taco Bill). She never had a batchelor degree or any university qualifications. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work at those places.. My ex would be left on her own to prepare everything for the nights business.. Though I will admit she was a great cook and had experience in that industry.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Geez - I'd tell my kids to be a welder, or a plumber, or an electrician - but those jobs are having their wages pushed down by illegal immigrations. Yikes. Glad I have 5 years to think about it.

Talked to two dads today at my son's track meet. One has a daughter deciding on colleges now. She was accepted at 7 out of 8 of the colleges she applied for. Dad was talking about the costs and how they dismissed some colleges because her debt would be so high at the end of four years. He asked us "A quarter of a million in debt after four years! And for what?". Apparently, to get a job at McDonalds.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
kind of makes your degree worthless doesn't it, when you need it as an entry level just to get into McDonald's.
Not even worth the paper its printed on and the money that's been paid for it.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It's been a long time since I have posted.
I ran a BBS then a gaming league. Worked for wallmart as a night stafer. I dropped out of college when my night manager bought a computer store and handed me the keys. I was told by family and friends to get everything in writeing... Ignored it.. Shut out a year later. Company folded *long story about that*. *Fast forward* I was interviewed for a computer job at a big company.. They gave me a test.. I past it. I was told that I was over qualified *How freaking Ironic.. I told them that's fine I'll start at whatever they wanted to pay. From 9 dollars an hour I am now making double that after 1 year with profit sharing.

BTW I work for a very machiavellian boss.

Edit to add. Find something you love to do.
edit on 4/4/2013 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This story is not true, the posting was a mistake.

gma.yahoo.com...

Tony Cesolini, assistant manager at McDonald's of Winchendon, a town on the border with New Hampshire, said the educational requirement was an error in the job posting.

"We're still trying to figure out how that happened," Cesolini told ABC News. "At this time, it's misreported information from an independent job offering website."

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Good thing I'm qualified for such a high level position...something to fall back on when the kids are all grown up

I want to believe this is a joke but, at the same time, nothing seems to surprise me these days.

Heed this advice....be kind to your local McDonalds employee

They could be your boss someday.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

It won't demand it really; however, if someone has a degree and another person doesn't..
(same age, sex, etc etc) who will get the job?

Probably the one without the degree, as the one with the degree is a day-to-day flight risk.

Oh god that was a brilliant answer. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

What a joke socieities allowing common sense to be hijacked by the education system. What will we see next need to be accredited as a Chartered practicing hamburger sandwich.
edit on 4-4-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
A huge problem in the USA is the idea that skilled "blue collar" jobs have been looked down on since the 50's. It became a given that you go to college, for most people it isn't even a question. The market is now over saturated with people who have zero real skills and think they are better then most people since they have a piece of paper they paid for.

This era is slowly dying, craftsmanship is coming back and skilled trades are becoming vogue again for the 20 and 30 year olds that are disenfranchised with being lied to.

Maybe not this generation but this generations kids will have a very different approach to college and their parents will encourage learning a trade.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I am a maintenance technician with a two year degree. I got out of school in august and started my job in October. I make about 35 a year after taxes.

<< 1    3 >>

join