It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report says that Connecticut had the lowest rates of gun violence.....Really? I mean, Connecticut??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Report says that Connecticut had the lowest rates of gun violence.....Really? I mean, Connecticut??

Okay, hold on.

The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence just came out with a report that the states with the strongest gun laws have the fewest gun related deaths.

The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence stated in their report that the states of Hawaii, Massachusetts and Connecticut had the lowest rates of gun violence of all the fifty states.

Connecticut? The report says??

Did anyone tell the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence about Sandy Hook? Did the report from the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence conveniently forget facts and figures?

And they wonder why people get a little skeptical about reports and polls and what not.

Hawaii, Massachusetts and Connecticut had the lowest rates of gun violence, and were among the 10 states with the strongest gun laws, the study found.
news.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by coltcall

The politicians or anyone else in an "official capacity" cares nothing about gun violence. There are so many other things that kill waaay more people than guns, they just want to control us and they use situations like the theater and school shootings to play on peoples emotions.
Theyre really disgusting individuals and they should all be taken out (of office) and replaced with real Americans.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

The politicians or anyone else in an "official capacity" cares nothing about gun violence. There are so many other things that kill waaay more people than guns, they just want to control us and they use situations like the theater and school shootings to play on peoples emotions.
Theyre really disgusting individuals and they should all be taken out (of office) and replaced with real Americans.

True. True.....but when I looked at this report that Connecticut...according to them....had the strongest gun laws and the least amount of gun violence???

I said.....are we living in an alternative universe? Connecticut has the strongest gun laws and the least amount of violence???

What has Obama and the Feinstein Sisters been screaming about since Sandy Hook?? Which is in Connecticut....last I checked.

Unless we're in an alternate universe...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

How many big, industrialized cities do those three states have in them?

Not many by my count. I'd bet that gun violence has more to do with concentrated centers of poverty (also known as cities in US parlance) than with the amount of gun laws.

You can sure see what a good job of protecting the people the gun laws have done in places like Detroit and Chicago.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

You can sure see what a good job of protecting the people the gun laws have done in places like Detroit and Chicago.

Did you know that back in the day, the Detroit Purple Gang was so notorious that Al Capone wouldn't go to Detroit.

That's pretty notorious.....

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

This is not a new report. I repeat . . . this is not a new report and has been used many times to sway public opinion.

You'll notice in the article they are talking about "deaths in 2010". The report is actually by the Violence Policy Center and came out in 2011.

Alaska had the most gun deaths, with 20.28 deaths per 100,000 people in 2010, twice the national average, the analysis by the Center for American Progress showed

Here are links to their actual report and to their website of lies.
VPC gun deaths
VPC

This report also isn't a report of homicides. It's simply deaths . . . suicides, personal accidents, hunting accidents.

Alaska is always at the top, as this reports "per capita" deaths. "Per Capita" is per 100k residents. Alaska only has 700k residents and leads the nation in suicides and hunting accidents. Their actual homicide rate is extremely low.

So knowing that . . . is it a suprise that the highest level of gun deaths (per capita) come from sparcely populated states that lead the nation in poverty and have extremely high suicide rates? Not really. Nothing in their report backs their claim when the highest homicide rates are in the same areas they claim are the safest.

It's simply BS statistical manipulation to get people emotionally on board with gun prohibition . . .

I'm truly a non-violent person, but I don't think anything gets under my skin more than those that intentionally lie to subjugate others.
edit on 4/4/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

And the report stated plainly and clearly that the states with the toughest gun laws have the fewest instances of gun violence...

...and that Connecticut has some of the toughest gun laws in the country...

While everyone seems to know that Sandy Hook is in Connecticut....and you read these reports by these so-called experts and you wonder why they are government funded with taxpayer dollars to say things like they say.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by coltcall

And the report stated plainly and clearly that the states with the toughest gun laws have the fewest instances of gun violence...

...and that Connecticut has some of the toughest gun laws in the country...

While everyone seems to know that Sandy Hook is in Connecticut....and you read these reports by these so-called experts and you wonder why they are government funded with taxpayer dollars to say things like they say.

A couple things . . .

The article cites Connecticut due to the laws they just passed . . . they use the report to confirm the "intelligence" in what Connecticut just pased. The report doesn't show Connecticut having the least amount of gun deaths.

If you look at the actual report . . . Connecticut is not even in the top 5. Of course, they only list the top 5 for each because the numbers on the other 40 states don't jive with their position.

It's a propaganda piece exhaulting the virtues of what Connecticut just did and trying to sway public opinion in consenting to tougher legislation.

Second, the VPC is not government funded . . . they make up the propaganda and pass it to the gov agencies to use in their agenda.

Everyone rails against the "pro-gun" lobby, but there is just as much power/money in the anti-gun lobby. Their tactics are different, however. While groups like the NRA stand up and speak their minds or let politicians know they will campaign against them . . . Groups like the VPC, simply make up fallacious reports and get politicians and the media to reference their "findings". The latter is far more effective and deceptive. The public thinks there is some truth to it, as it is coming from the government/media or some place with a feel good name like "Violence Policy Center". They are the lowest of low and the very definition of a "snake". However, they are much better versed in how to win, in the eyes of the public.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
One particular situation does not reflect the overall situation in the state. I do not know particularly well the area there, although it seems people make too fast conclusions.

For example, consider a country where usually gun violence is much lower compared to area, and once a thing like Sandy Hook happens. Does that mean the area is one of the most dangerous areas to live at or that there is lots of gun violence? Based on one madman you can not judge a state. There might be madmen anywhere.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
One particular situation does not reflect the overall situation in the state. I do not know particularly well the area there, although it seems people make too fast conclusions.

For example, consider a country where usually gun violence is much lower compared to area, and once a thing like Sandy Hook happens. Does that mean the area is one of the most dangerous areas to live at or that there is lots of gun violence? Based on one madman you can not judge a state. There might be madmen anywhere.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Regardless how many ways you want to spin your interpretation of the 'expert' report:

The report says that the states with the strongest gun laws have the fewest gun related violent incidents.

And the report stated that Connecticut has some of the strongest gun laws in the country.

Again I add that Sandy Hook happened in Connecticut.

Poste. Riposte.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin

I'd say a resounding "YES."

I consider Connecticut to be about one of the most dangerous places to live. And that has been proven, far as many people are concerned.

And the Connecticut gubbmint and gun grabbers are jumping through hoops to make it look like Connecticut is not an unsafe place to live. They are trying to make it look like what happened, didn't happen.

But it did happen.

Like the report says: Connecticut has always had some of the toughest gun laws in the country. Common sense says that the tough gun laws did not make Connecticut any safer a place to live.

Connecticut is a liberal state. Like New York and Illinois and Michigan. Liberal states are the most dangerous states to live in, regardless of how many gun grabbing laws they pass.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

You have to remember that Connecticut, New York City, Chicago, Detroit...etc....a liberal bastions.

Liberals live in this strange, alternative universe world that they will be protected if they merely pass knee jerk laws that sound like they are protective.

Liberals have a difficult time logically connecting dots.

Hence, liberals create environments for themselves that are inherently vulnerable.

Criminals prey on the vulnerable. They don't come to my neighborhood because we are prepared for them.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by coltcall

Regardless how many ways you want to spin your interpretation of the 'expert' report:

The report says that the states with the strongest gun laws have the fewest gun related violent incidents.

And the report stated that Connecticut has some of the strongest gun laws in the country.

Again I add that Sandy Hook happened in Connecticut.

Poste. Riposte.

I don't think you are comprehending what I am saying . . . I'm not spinning anything and there is nothing "expert" about the report. I am agreeing with you! Although, Sandy Hook has nothing to do with it. Sandy Hook happened in 2012 and their subsequent laws are 2013.

This article is based on a report from 2011, with gun death figures from 2010. The report amounts to a bunch of lies to push the anti-gun agenda. It includes suicide and accidents in with actual "violence" and strickly goes by per capita. If it did not, there would be no way to even make that claim. They are making that claim to "fool" the public into buying into their agenda because the majority of Americans are too stupid to go to the source of the claim.

Even if this report had any truth to it . . . based on the 2010 numbers they keep citing, Connecticut is not in the top 5.

The top 5 are:
Hawaii
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey

To find Connecticut in the Top 5, you'd have to go all the way back to 2007 figures:
Hawaii
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York

Once again . . . this article a pure propaganda piece built upon lies to fool the public . . . why would I want to spin it? I don't agree with their assesment or claims.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I comprehend fully what you are saying.

Now, to comprehend the report.......again.....they say the states with the strictest gun laws are the safest states. They cite Connecticut as among the safest of states to live in.

Hmmmmm.....Connecticut has always had the strictest guns laws.

Hmmmmm.....Sandy Hook.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
WHAT ARE THE THREE RULES OF THE FIGHT CLUB IN CONNECTICUT?

Sec. 53-201. Witnessing or aiding prize fights. Any person who is present at any prize fight, to aid, abet or assist therein, or give countenance thereto, or who aids or encourages such fight in this state, without being present thereat, shall be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than five hundred dollars or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to boxing exhibitions held or conducted under the laws of this state, or to wrestling bouts, or to amateur boxing exhibitions held under the provisions of section 29-143j or the supervision of any school, college or university having an academic course of study or of the recognized athletic association connected with such school, college or university.

NEVER TALK ABOUT THE FIGHT CLUB IN CONNECTICUT.

new topics

top topics

join