It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Criminal 'Sentenced To Be Paralysed'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

Sorry. I'm new to quoting on this forum. i can't figure out how to make it distinguish what you said and what my reply was.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

You're suggesting something different here. If you want this 'like for like' kind of punishment, the man should just be stabbed in the back, as his intent was to stab the boy.

Nonetheless, the punishment just shows that some cultures are yet to learn that revenge, or "judicial vengeance" are not the only way to sort out their problems. And to all those who are saying that it serves to deter others from offending... clearly that isn't the case, otherwise, in this day and age, we wouldn't have people still committing such terrible crimes.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
So, the lesson seems to be, if you don't want the Saudi govt going medieval on yo ass, you'd better be able to afford to compensate any victim of a crime you are convicted for.

no, the lesson here is DON'T STAB YOUR FRIEND!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

Do you want rapists to receive the same punishment too?

YES!!!!!! Repeatedly until they die from it.

Any more questions?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Remove his/hers means to steal again.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraff
reply to post by riffraff

Sorry. I'm new to quoting on this forum. i can't figure out how to make it distinguish what you said and what my reply was.

Is ok, I understood where you where coming from.. and can not fault your arguments against the current system, it is broken I can not disagree with that, I simply do not agree with reverting to an eye for an eye as the right way forward, I see it creating more issues and negatives than it resolves, but I feel we need to find a new system that people feel offers a just solution, whether that is possible or not is another question.

I consider myself a good person and I have no intentions of harming anyone, and what I was doing was stating my passionate belief that this is wrong, and I am admitting that my response would be equally wrong, as from that point we get dragged into a cycle of retribution, which is also wrong.

If it was wrong for my ancestors some 1,400 years ago then in my opinion it is as wrong today..

I imagine the recent shooting case might be a good case to show how an issue could split a nation in half... I imagine if they went and shot the shooter there would be outrage and, well.. who knows what else.. there are huge risks when you have so much passion on either side..

Anyway.. I was trying to explain how I felt and the risks I see in such a system.. but perhaps in some instances the cultural divides are much wider than I assume them to be...

Regards and warm wishes.
edit on 8/4/13 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Very well said. I too see and respect your perspective. It also makes sense.Like you said, we are deeply divided on these issues. It would appear we are at an impasse, or stalemate, if you will. I don't have the answers, you all know that. I'm just another seeker of truth like most of you reading this. The trouble is truth is subjective. It seems a new country must be formed to satisfy all the tenets and beliefs of the 21st century. But we all know that will never happen. At least peacefully anyway.

you are an intelligent, enlightened, and worthy opponent.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join