It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I shall facepalm at this for a while

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I was just surfing the web, reading news about the NK crisis, then I decided that I should take a look at North Korea's homepage, just for the sake of it (and the lulz).

Anyway, under the 'Tourism' tab (ha, who would've known), under the 'Monuments' section, I found this:

www.korea-dpr.com...

Um, if my memory serves me right, didn't the Korean War end with an armistice? I'm pretty sure they didn't defeat anybody either. Freedom and independence? Really?

And, I'm pretty sure North Korea was the one that actually started that war, and America, being America, decided to chip in and help out the South.

My mind really can't comprehend this... well, I can't exactly call it a paradox.

But, I can't help but facepalm at this. As much as North Korea is an aggressive one party sovereignty, they're fairly good comedians as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
It's just a propaganda piece of art from North Korea. In a way that is how the North Koreans would see it compared to outsiders who are aware of it being propaganda.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well you can argue either way on whether it was a win on their part or not.

They certainly did not accomplish their military goals but they did manage to keep their country. It is true that America steamrolled them all the way to the Yalu River and had thoroughly beat them militarily until the Chinese entered with 500,000 troops and we had to retreat.

The Chinese intervention did not allow us to accomplish our military goals which was the removal of Kim so I guess you could call it a draw. Remember that the Korean War actually had very little to do with the Korea's and what they wanted.

It was a proxy war between America and the Soviet Union, both trying to prevent the domino theory from playing out. If America had won, Stalin was afraid democracy would spread throughout that region and we thought that if the North won that communism would spread. If we took the North then China feared we would continue straight on into their country so they decided to hold their ground in Korea.

At the end of the day I don't think either side won...we simply decided not to push the issue further and end up in WWIII.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I guess that's one way of seeing it.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Well you can argue either way on whether it was a win on their part or not.

They certainly did not accomplish their military goals but they did manage to keep their country. It is true that America steamrolled them all the way to the Yalu River and had thoroughly beat them militarily until the Chinese entered with 500,000 troops and we had to retreat.

The Chinese intervention did not allow us to accomplish our military goals which was the removal of Kim so I guess you could call it a draw. Remember that the Korean War actually had very little to do with the Korea's and what they wanted.

It was a proxy war between America and the Soviet Union, both trying to prevent the domino theory from playing out. If America had won, Stalin was afraid democracy would spread throughout that region and we thought that if the North won that communism would spread. If we took the North then China feared we would continue straight on into their country so they decided to hold their ground in Korea.

At the end of the day I don't think either side won...we simply decided not to push the issue further and end up in WWIII.

That's true. But still, they really shouldn't be calling it a 'victory', when everybody else knows that this conflict ended in a draw (and a truce). Then again, it's probably their way of healing their country's scars.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Marcelli

That's true. What I meant by the comment as that how the North Korean's see the monument and why the North Koreans had it built as propaganda. Kind of like a statue representing a mythological figure and why it was built.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Yeah, I get that. It's probably just some sort of ego boost for the North Korean people, and yes, propaganda.

And perhaps they were prophesizing their future 'victory' against this 'nuclear war' (which I doubt will happen) as well.

new topics

top topics

join