It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video shows inmates with beer, drugs, guns in New Orleans prison

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

which speaks volumes when you consider what the standards are

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'm wondering what the purpose was for the video, who made it and who let it circulate? (Video cameras would be a trick to smuggle in? Camera phone?)

My guess would be those who are trying to privatize all of our prisons with a guaranteed 90% occupancy rate...
just a hunch

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Now that makes some sense... Hmm... Yeah, make the state run system look like nothing could possibly be worse and all the sudden. Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) can step right in and say ..'Hey.. Seems you have a problem, and for this low low price, we have a solution!"

I suppose far stranger things have happened and recently too.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Prison sounds like such a nice place to live. Everybody there is as morally bankrupt as you are, or maybe even more. Sometimes less, but that is really rare.

You can walk around, leave if you want. Share a drink with your buddies, the serial killers, rapists, tax evaders. Gamble your money away if you want. Buy a gun to show off to your pals, and probably rob somebody with.

Get some nice drugs, get maybe some money, sex -- and eventually, happiness.

As a convict.
edit on 4-4-2013 by SouthExpected because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This was actually filmed at a temporary house of detention, not the actual prison itself.
The timing of the release of this video is suspicious to me because of an ongoing court battle concerning the NOPD consent decree.

With a multimillion dollar price tag for reforms at the jail, Mayor Mitch Landrieu said it's a consent decree the city cannot afford.

www.wdsu.com...

"It is clear the taxpayers cannot afford both the NOPD and OPSO consent decrees at the same time. It is important for the public to know the crippling consequences the City faces if we are forced to write the Sheriff a blank check," Landrieu said.

The release of this video and another that shows a prisoner partying on Bourbon St. are perfectly timed to create public outrage.
www.nola.com...
In my opinion this is nothing more than typical New Orleans politics and I would not be surprised if it is all a fabrication.

The sheriff said his investigators found no contraband despite what one of the videos showed and that the video may not be all it appears to be.

“The video quality looks like it’s been greatly changed up,” he said, alluding that the video may have been edited or altered.

www.wdsu.com... index.html

edit on 4-4-2013 by tanda7 because: eta

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

I know people who have been in and are now leading normal lives and all have confirmed most of what is in the video. I am in management and lead a clean life but have parents (no longer 2-my dad has passed - RIP Frenchie) who led a questionable life and still know people who are in. Same s#$t different day. They can get what they want as far as drugs and make what they want as far as alcohol (hooch) goes. Guards are on the take and it goes up the ladder. The more it pays the more it is allowed.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I can't believe some of you are saying this is fake...you guys cannot be serious.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
New Orleans resident here. The video is real. And while the fact that OPP is really messed up is no surprise, some of the things in that video even surpised me. And not sure where people got the idea OPP is closed. It is not. I pass it on the side of I-10 every day, tents and all. OPP is very much operational and not remotely close to being closed.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Its disgraceful, damn lazy polticians need a kick up the ass and sent to the dole line for letting stuff like this go on in supposed civilsed society.

What do you mean politicians? You don't know our prison system is a private for profit corporation?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SELAboy
New Orleans resident here. The video is real. And while the fact that OPP is really messed up is no surprise, some of the things in that video even surpised me. And not sure where people got the idea OPP is closed. It is not. I pass it on the side of I-10 every day, tents and all. OPP is very much operational and not remotely close to being closed.

You are correct, the prison is not closed. However the house of detention where this was filmed is closed.
April 10, 2012

Gusman said "mounting criticism" about conditions at Orleans Parish Prison was a factor in his decision to start closing its House of Detention.

www.wdsu.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

What do you mean politicians? You don't know our prison system is a private for profit corporation?

The politicans approved this system and obviously without oversight controls so yes the POLITCIANS!!!1

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
More information that makes this whole affair suspicious;

The video now making national news had been locked up in a safe in the Sheriff’s Office, which Gusman said he never knew existed.

wgno.com...
I would bet there is someone who has much to gain by the passing of the Consent Decree. It will mean millions of dollars will be funneled into the prison.

Also, the house of detention where this was filmed is city owned, not private.

"The House of Detention is a city-owned building in a state of disrepair and abhorrent lack of proper security measures," Gusman said in the statement. "I closed the House of Detention last year because of these problems."

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What with the US having the highest prison population in the world, much corruption and violence exists throughout the system. Money DOES talk!

Now, for a "what if" scenario when the SHTF.....

What will become of the prison population? We're already seeing a large number of prisoners being released due to economic woes (CA comes to mind), but for those that remain, what plans do TPTB have for them? Will they be conveniently disposed of, or will TPTB unleash them on the population at large? That possibility IMO, is really something to consider!

It was reported during Katrina that prisoners were transferred when one jail flooded. But it was also later rumored (?) that a large prison population had been allowed to drown. Does anyone know what really happened?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Toots

You may find this documentary interesting;
topdocumentaryfilms.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tanda7
reply to post by Toots

You may find this documentary interesting;
topdocumentaryfilms.com...

Thanks for the link tanda7!
I don't have time to watch the documentary right now, but I will. That site is one I've bookmarked and only check out periodically.

Excerpted from the topdocumentaryfilms site

In the days before the hurricane, when other citizens of New Orleans were ordered to leave, city leaders were asked: “What about the prisoners in the jail?” “The prisoners will stay where they belong,” replied Marlin Gusman, the criminal sheriff in charge of the city jail. But it was a gamble he would regret.

P.S.
It made my day to hear ex-NO mayor Ray Nagin is "getting his"..............FINALLY!

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tanda7 that's h.o.d. (house of detention) not no temporary jail and the video was filmed around 09. And a female guard was helping them escape at night they would be back in the morning before role call with all that stuff.
If you watch the full video the camera man actually says when goes to court in Aug. If he doesn't go home he is running and he did but was later caught. And it's obvious it was filmed wit a cell phone.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: truehumandna

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or just don't understand what I wrote.

I said,"This was actually filmed at a temporary house of detention, not the actual prison itself."

or as you put it a h.o.d., and i know it's "not no temporary jail."
It was a temporary house of detention, which is now closed.

I'm very curious about your claims that a guard was helping them, do you have a link for that info, or perhaps a first hand account?
edit on 21-12-2014 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanda7
a reply to: truehumandna

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or just don't understand what I wrote.

I said,"This was actually filmed at a temporary house of detention, not the actual prison itself."

or as you put it a h.o.d., and i know it's "not no temporary jail."
It was a temporary house of detention, which is now closed.

I'm very curious about your claims that a guard was helping them, do you have a link for that info, or perhaps a first hand account?
no it's was filmed at house of detention in 09 not at a temporary jail. House of detention been open for years and was recently shut down. There is a lot of different jails in orleans parish prison. There is the old parish which usely houses hundred thousand dollar bonds and up so that's were all the people with serious crimes are kept it's bad in there plus no cams. Than there is conchetta, the tents and the temporary jail which is called tdc. That was filmed in the house of d not tdc. I know by the streets talking just like I heard they was sneaking out of the house of d two years before it came to light
edit on 22-12-2014 by truehumandna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: truehumandna btw most people didn't actually believe they was sneaking out until the film leaked. Also that is a very old jail u can easy pop the cells open nuttin electronic. U can put a used tooth paste tube by the lock and the cell doesn't actually close. Inmates in h.o.d. used to do that than when the guard leaves and goes to sleep somewhere after lock down they would open the cell and turn the tv back on. One of the nicknames for new orleans is the city that care forgot.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: truehumandna I was saying I know that a female guard was helping them sneak out because the streets talk. I know about the different jails because I'm from new Orleans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join