It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Is Responsible For ATS's Recent Downtime?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It's only just come back up for me - but what happened? It was down for many hours!

What's going on?

And it comes just as Israel squabbles with Palestine and Syria, Obama talking about gun control, North Korea going extreme in its rhetoric and so on and so forth!

Here is an announcement on ATS:
[linking not allowed]
edit on 4/3/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Apr 3 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yeah..I had trouble around 3:30 CST. Just a white screen.....I thought it was just me..

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
langley backing servers up to the cloud in case of a nuclear attack...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
langley backing servers up to the cloud in case of a nuclear attack...

Interesting idea..

I just got back on an hour ago, but it had been down for maybe 4 hours that I noticed.. The Twitter for ATS said it was DDOS attacks..

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The New World Order

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This might be an ignorant question, for I know nothing about how it was attacked and all the technical mumbo jumbo that goes with it.... But, are there any threads that are now missing or 404'ed ?

It was said that ATS has been under attack in the past, in a similar fashion.. and that this latest 'attack' was more severe. I just can't imagine that those who did this attack believed that it would be successful in taking down ATS. I wouldn't rule out this happening again, but much larger. They exposed a weakness of ATS, and now that they know just how effective it is to attack it... if they are actually determined to take down ATS, it will happen again.

It's like N.Korea... we didn't stop them the first time, and we are almost guaranteed that there will be a second.

R.I.P. ATS?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
According to Australian MSM.North Korea just anounced the military has been given the green light for nuclear war with America. ATS went dead at the same time. I don't believe in coincidences .

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Site didn't work for me a few hours ago - probably North Korea

Or DHS shut it down because they thought something was going to happen...

Or Bob just spilled soda on the server again...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Cody599 was wanting to do a silly thread about what really happened....

Heff dropped his bacon on the keyboard and as Intrepid was trying to retrieve it..his beer spilt all over the keyboard and thats when ats went white...haha..jk.

peace and love
nat cat

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Im viewing this on my husbands comp, since late last night, early this morning i cant view ATS on mine, i tried google chrome and explorer, i just get timed out errors or their blaming my internet provider, i know thats not the case because all comps in the house are connected to the same router. my hubby has firefox on this one and its finer, so far. so i dont know if its my comp or the browsers

wait i just opened up ats on my hubys comp using explorer and its working, its just my comp that wont. and its only ATS all other sites are fine

please how do i fix it, its like my comp has blocked it for some reason.

Love and harmony
Whateva

edit on 3/4/13 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Do you have a laptop? I am on my hubbys laptop with firefox as well. Things are going super slow though.
I have not tried my ipad yet, but it would not work earlier.
~nat

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The only way I could access ATS is by Tor, all my other browsers, Firefox, Chromium will not work in either Windows or Linux.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

no Blizzrard (gaming wow) killed my laptop, apparently i wasnt supposed to play 24 /7 online role playing games on the lap top lol

we have two computers our tbox and mobile phones ect using the same router and everything is fine but ATS on my comp doesn't exist, ive scanned it with 2 different spyware thingy s and it doesn't have any virus's or such, i dont know why it stopped letting me view ATS.
i hate using my hubbys comp, he has this mouse with a bazillion buttons lol and they stupid keyboard is just as funky.

Love and harmony]
Whateva

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Download Tor for windows. I have a laptop and Tor is working fine in ATS as the other browsers are not; Its a bit slower however.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
how uncanny is this, i just lent over to my comp to get the tor thingy and ATS is now working on chrome, yep i have it set as my home page

how bizarre is that.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I would be VERY interested in finding out where the packets originated from and what information was contained in the requests or headers... I first thought it was a bad connection or that there was an interstate network segment that was down, but when I read it was an attack, I was really surprised, especially knowing how many attacks there have been on ATS in the past that were unsuccessful.

It's very likely that IF it was a professional denial of service attack (done by a government), that none of that information would be available, OR that it would be spoofed and point to the wrong culprit to shift blame.

If it originated in the US, it is a punishable offense, so it's important to try and get some forensics on the tcp packets (or whichever protocol was used). If it originated from somewhere like North Korea or China, it is unfortunately not punishable. (lack of extradition treaty)

Being that it was distributed, it likely was a botnet attack, bouncing traffic off of many different host computers all over the world, so it may be impossible to trace it back to any one source, but it can be done. The "null" domain entry is so that all traffic gets bounced from the servers around the internet that have DNS entries so that the traffic never even hits the service provider. That can sometimes take hours to propagate back out to all of the DNS servers out there, so it will probably be a while before everyone can gain access back to the site. The only thing users can do is try to flush their local DNS caches every so often to see if they can get the updated version that isn't null and points back to the ATS servers. End users can also manually add entries to their HOSTS file and point directly to the IP for now.

As they say... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This type of attack CAN be prevented, but you have to be prepared for it. I hope this isn't the beginning of something worse, because whoever did this now knows that they can probably do it again, and I would expect them to do so, but hope otherwise.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yes, this was very strange. I thought it was just my work computer. The url disappeared from my scroll down list and even when I typed it in the page would never open. I thought it was just being blocked by my work since I work for the feds but I still couldn't get on when I got home until I tried just now.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

double post
edit on 4/3/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
[linking not allowed]

Love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 3/4/13 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Apr 3 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

it wouldnt load on my home computer until recently, I got it to work at the librarey and I saw there were only 32 people logged in so I thought that there might be something up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join