It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ready to bake and find out your out of whole milk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I use powdered milk to cook with (just add water) because I do not drink whole milk. It works pretty good for cooking purposes but not so much for baking!

I have a from scratch chocolate cake recipe I wanted to bake and the only bummer was I didn't have the whole milk. However, I did have powdered milk.

I did some cooking forum searches and found that if you need to bake and use whole milk all you need to do is.....

1 Cup water
1/3 cup non fat powdered milk

AND

1 Tablespoon of veg oil

Mix them together in a blender to make sure they blend together well and walla! You have whole milk substitute!

The oil acts as the fat that would be missing if you just used the non fat powdered milk and your baking creation will turn out perfectly!

Just thought I would share that tip with those of you have (like me) found yourself in need of a cup of whole milk but had powdered!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thanks for the cooking tip! I didn't know about that one.

I will have a slice thank you very much!..

edit on 3-4-2013 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Your welcome!

I won't say I am cheap......but I am definitely against wasting food (such as buying milk for one cup to only throw the rest away) so I will choose to call myself "frugal"!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I love baking... it's like chemistry

I had to bake an eggless cake for my kid's class, I used applesauce because the egg in the recipe was to liquify the batter. It's good to know what you can substitute in a pinch!

Some substitutions for your baking pleasure

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Believe it or not in a pinch I have upon occasion substituted non-dairy creamer for milk in recipes that only require a small amount. Same as the powdered milk- just add water and go! There was no difference in taste, and I didn't have to get cleaned up and drive all the way into town in the middle of cooking.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Vegetable oil is nasty stuff, though...yuck!!

Trader Joe's sells shelf-stable heavy cream, in their baking section.
I keep one or two around for emergencies.
Or, coconut oil is the temp is warm enough would be good.

Seems if you want to go to the trouble of cooking from scratch, you want to use the best ingredients...vegetable oil isn't one of them.
www.seven-health.com...

IMHO.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

In praise of powdered milk:

For the last year I have tried to culture my own yogurt using raw whole milk. I was just adamant that the five strains of bacteria in my yogurt culture would overcome the non-pasteurized strains of bacteria in the raw milk I got from a local dairy farmer. (Yes, this is illegal. It's not sold for human consumption, nor is it sold in a retail location.) I failed. And failed. And failed. And failed. And then I substituted powdered milk for some of the raw milk and voila! Yogurt!

Also, a previous poster mentioned eggless cake. I use 1 T flax meal and 3 T water for 1 egg.

new topics

top topics

join