It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama criticized for using dated, disputed gun stat to sell background checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Yes, another case of politicos using out-of-date and whoa-fully inaccurate poll data to push their agenda (I see this on all sides to be honest). From the article:

During a speech last week, Obama asked, “Why wouldn’t we want to make it more difficult for a dangerous person to get his or her hand on a gun? Why wouldn’t we want to close the loophole that allows as many as 40 percent of all gun purchases to take place without a background check? Why wouldn’t we do that?”

The problem with that 40% "fact" is:

In the (1997) study, researchers estimated about 40 percent of all firearm sales took place through people other than licensed gun dealers. The conclusion was based on data from a 1994 survey of 2,568 households. Of those, only 251 people answered the question about where they got their guns.

Source Story

The polling questions were also very one-sided and worded to facilitate confusion. So, I guess the input of 251 people, out of the entire United State population, over 20 years ago, to a poll with confusing questions, is enough to change the entire US> policy regarding the 2nd Amendment?

Nice to know our elected officials are responsible enough with this power we've handed them I guess there;s no way they would abuse that, now would they?

Disclaimer: I search using the engine, and looked at the new posts and found nothing. I apologize if this is a duplicte thread.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I saw this article earlier today. I had to laugh as it reminded me of this Mark Twain quote...

"There are Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus
I saw this article earlier today. I had to laugh as it reminded me of this Mark Twain quote...

"There are Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Not to try an out do a classic author, but, I would add "..and damn bad statistics" here too. Because, not only are the statistics being used to support a lie, but the stats themselves are poorly collected and collated.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Saw this earlier too altho didn't need that study to know his stat was BS.

Obama cites 40% of course those who were paying attention to the record gun sales in the past 4 years 55+ million sold, the record number of background checks that came along with those purchases.

There is not "Stat" quoted by the gun control group that will be truth you can take that to a fiat currency bank.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
More proof of the uselessness of this "study" in 1997 is the response when the author of the study, when asked about it's accuracy, said:

“The answer is I have no idea,” Cook reportedly told PolitiFact. “This survey was done almost 20 years ago.”

So our policy is being driven by a set of inaccurate statistics, collected over 20 years ago, from an incredibly minute fraction of the population, that the author himself doesn't believe in at all.

I don't care what party is responsible here, this MUST stop. Looks like more fodder for the upcoming filibuster to me.

edit on 3-4-2013 by Krakatoa because: Corrected spelling errors that may have changed the meaning of the post

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yes... crap statisitics...but I don't think you would like the real numbers either. Stats sampled from gun show private sales...or the 7500 + illegal guns found in Chicago last year hint at a higher number than 40% for no background check sales.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

The guns used in crimes tend to be acquired from thefts and then sold around the hood. The typical criminal is not going to go to a gun show despite what the fools will tell you. The urban crowd is not going to shop a gun show since the venues having them tend to also have lots of folks with badges hanging around. And in regards to this "data", the guy being quoted also is the one who claimed that 90% of the guns in Mexico could be traced back to the US. Blatant distortion of facts to accomplish a particular goal.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
reply to post by Indigo5

The guns used in crimes tend to be acquired from thefts and then sold around the hood.

No...I can find the stats or you can? Small portion from thefts...large portion from straw puchasers.

Originally posted by hangedman13
The typical criminal is not going to go to a gun show despite what the fools will tell you.

Naw only the guys who sell to criminals...happens all the time.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Have you ever gone to a gun show? Or are you just aping what you hear and see on the news? The gun show loop hole is a misnomer. Especially when you add the fact that gun shows tend to be for the selling of rifles not pistols and if you want to go on about statistics, what do they say about gun crimes? Pistols require permits in most of the fifty states and rifle do not in any. You can hide a pistol making it ideal for use in criminal activities, where a rifle is a bit large for most crimes. This whole background check fiasco is a joke when start seeing what is going on. The fire arm of choice for crime is the pistol not the rifle. And gun crimes have such a lousy rate of prosecution. The gun charges are usually the first thing to be wiped in a plea deal. Take a look at police blotters for crimes and follow a crime with a gun used in it, then tell me if a rifle was used and if the perp had any charges for the gun stick. More laws just make more talking point for a politician not saving the public.

top topics

join