It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,000-year-old Jewish Holy Site In Damascus Destroyed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Another piece of our ancient history destroyed. I did not write this thread to place blame on either side, but to discuss the destruction of our past by these on going wars in countries such as Syria or Iraq.

he holiest Jewish site in Syria – the 2,000-year-old Jobar Synagogue in Damascus – has been looted and burned, and its roof blown off. The Syrian army and rebel forces have both blamed each other for the demolition of the historic landmark.

It is believed that the Jobar Synagogue, one of the world’s oldest, was built atop a cave where the Prophet Elijah once hid from persecution. One of the earliest historical mentions of the synagogue can be found in the Talmud.

According to Israel Radio, the rebels claimed that the Syrian government looted the synagogue before burning it to the ground. Meanwhile, the government alleged that the rebels had burned down the synagogue. It has also been claimed that “Zionist agents” stole historic artifacts from the holy site as part of a planned operation, Al-Manar Television reported.

Source

I remember reading after the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and more recently in Egypt about museums being raided. Precious historical artifacts being destroyed or stolen for the black market, or some other's private collection.

The spoils of war will lead us history-less. And how easy will it be to rewrite that history once all the proof of what's written in books is gone?

As conspiracy theorists we strive for the truth. How many of us believe that ancients held knowledge that we do not yet have? How many of us believe that their architecture was done in a way that meant something? Something greater than what we currently know it to be.

Allowing the destruction of sites, be them holy or purely archeological is bad for us, and bad for our future generations.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'll say it. So what?

Jewish history has never destroyed pre-existing structures and civilizations? Please.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

You missed the point of the thread entirely. It makes no difference whether you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim. These sites are thousands of years old and are part of our ancient history. Our collective, ancient history.

That should be respected and protected.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I understood completely. Destruction of libraries harms the evolution of society. Trashing a temple does not.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

We can agree to disagree I suppose. I consider archeological artifacts to be of importance regardless of what they are. Especially standing structures of any kind.

The Middle East used to be a beautiful place.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Always sad to see an ancient site lost forever. Those of us who study history really hate to see this happen. Ancient sites, art, music, stories, museums, are all things that help make a vibrant society and now we have one less place to visit, talk about, wonder what it was like.

Thanks for sharing the information.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by DaTroof

We can agree to disagree I suppose. I consider archeological artifacts to be of importance regardless of what they are. Especially standing structures of any kind.

The Middle East used to be a beautiful place.

~Tenth

Yes it used to be. Specially before 1948.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

OK. so because Israel is so hated these historical building deserve to be destroyed....please

Its sad that people think this way in 2013

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Yeah it really makes me sad. I wish I Could have at least walked a few of those places in the ME before humans inevitably destroyed those rich places.

Hell even photos from the 6o's and 70's are stunning.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
In another report it states that the Synagouge is partially destroyed, claiming that the edifice is damaged, but not burned to the ground.

Interesting point scoring, but the link you posted was originally sourced from RT's website, which is supposed to be pro regime.

Unfortunately this is the price of Civil War, great historical sites get damaged or destroyed. It's a shame, a big shame.

www.ibtimes.com...
edit on 3/4/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

That's not what I said.

When a conqueror gets conquered, do you shed a tear? I do not.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
this is why all wars need to stop.

and the entities who also fund proxy wars.

if Damascus held such a holy place .. then perhaps the war profiteers should NOT have funded the syrian rebels and took great care in that region.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Being very interested in history and archeology, stuff like this used to upset me greatly (still does to a certain point).

But then I realized that nothing is permanent. Everything will fall apart eventually. Wars just speed up the process. Now I don't want this to be seen as an excuse for the people who do the destrying, but it helps to put things in perspective.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well I'm going to put my money on the rebels doing this if any Israeli influence was present and I'd even go as far to say that rebels were hiding inside and the Syrian forces bombed it but who knows. As for the Temple itself, sad to see these sites continue to be destroyed. Only cowards would stoop to this level...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Dont have much to add except this makes me very sad to read.

It's a shame that more people don't understand that ancient sites are irreplaceable and that destroying them destroys a part of history. I wish that humans put just a bit of thought into the ramifications of their actions before commiting such heinous acts

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Our collective, ancient history.

That should be respected and protected.
Thank the US administrations for that, including the State Department and the CIA, for importing, facilitating, funding, training, and arming, the terrorists in Syria as toots of some globalist
'elite' agenda.
These are bad people, basically only criminals, and they will do things like this.
At the core, you can blame the 'zionists' because they are the beneficiaries of the chaos and mayhem.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I guess you're right. I think after WW2 we should have destroyed all the Buddhist temples and in Germany anything Christian or historical.

Yea.... your logic is flawed
edit on 4-4-2013 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

From the destruction of the bodies of Giants to the pyramids of Egypt and especially all ancient text. If time hands it down ? It should be well kept and cherished by all men. The destruction of such things is a crime against humanity.
And should carry a death sentence for the willful perp.

SnF

edit on 4-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

i've read about the same sht in Pakistan. militants destroyed some monuments built in 4 century BC
that's not normal
they have no brain

join