It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce Major Astrophysics Discovery Today , Possible Dark matter found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I stumbled into this today :

NASA will unveil the first discoveries from a powerful $2 billion particle physics experiment on the International Space Station in what could be a major vindication for the science tool, which almost never made it into space. The space agency will hold a press conference at 1:30 p.m. EDT (1830 GMT) today, April 3, to reveal the first science results from the experiment, called the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer.

Source

Some people are speculating it might be the discovery of dark matter. Any thoughts on this ?

Apparently you can watch it live here

edit on 3-4-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I have seen a preliminary draft of the release.

NASA is going to fess up about some of the anomalies they have found on the moon.

Are y ou ready to learn that trans-dimensional aliens are living and working on the moon, and that they are interfering with humanity via telepathy and technical mind control?

Oh, you think that's bullshoot? I guess you aint ready then.

Go back to sleep.

Consume.

Watch TV.

Moo.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thank's for the info

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
That's sensationalist headlining if I've ever heard of any. Watch it be nothing, or something...?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

"It's an indication, but by no means is it a proof" of dark matter, says Nobel laureate Samuel Ting of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the principle investigator for the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer experiment.

New Scientist

Predictable much?

Hey we found something new today, that we already knew that

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It seems like we never discover anything anymore. We simply just confirm what we've already discovered.

It's frustrating. I want some damned progress!

This NASA event, like all others will be a non-event.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by IngolfStern
I have seen a preliminary draft of the release.

NASA is going to fess up about some of the anomalies they have found on the moon.

Are y ou ready to learn that trans-dimensional aliens are living and working on the moon, and that they are interfering with humanity via telepathy and technical mind control?

Oh, you think that's bullshoot? I guess you aint ready then.

Go back to sleep.

Consume.

Watch TV.

Moo.

Haa Agreed Bernard
Lets all sit down and watch John Carpenters's They Live

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Source

One has to keep in mind that Space.com is a media site, first and foremost. They have at times been known for sensationalist headlines and not always correct facts. They don't link back to the original source, and even embed NASA's live broadcast into their website rather than linking directly.

It would be nice to see NASA source about the anouncement. I went to nasa.gov but couldn't find anything.

P.S. ah, here it is: www.nasa.gov...
Says nothing about dark matter, so I wouldn't give Space.com headlines much credibility. As with Curiosity on Mars, what we should do is listen to what scientists actually say, and then form our opinions. Sad thing is, people will be accusing NASA for blowing things out of proportions, whereas it was sites like Space.com that are guilty.

Live broadcast: www.ustream.tv...
edit on 3-4-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
They probably have seen indirect evidence of the presence of dark matter, the mysterious, elusive substance which accounts for most of the matter in the universe. Many bursts of positrons were detected. These are believed to be released when two bits of dark matter collide.
They found these bursts coming from all parts of the sky. This supports their dark matter origin, as this substance is believed to be distributed evenly throughout space. The only likely alternative explanation is that the positrons came from nearby pulsars. As these pulsars are mostly confined to the relatively narrow plane of the galaxy, this seem a less satisfactory explanation.
Definitive evidence that the positrons come from dark matter, or from pulsars, is expected within a few months. As they move their observations up the energy spectrum, above 350 billion electron volts, two results are possible. Either the total energy declines quickly, which means dark matter has been found, or it declines much more slowly, indicating pulsars. If the former result is gotten, they will very probably be willing to definitely say that dark matter has been detected.

top topics

join