It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Species of Tarantula Discovered in Sri Lanka - (The size of your face)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I guess where you live might not house any creepy critters/reptiles/insects/life form?
reply to post by hp1229

Not anything near the size of that thing! I live up north, so the largest insect we may find in a house is a centipede. The largest spiders I've ever come across were those inch size outdoor spiders that usually spin webs near shrubs. You can put a leash on that Sri Lanka spider!

I was once attacked by a large spider when vacationing down in Florida. I went out on the balcony deck outside of our hotel room to sit down and relax while holding a small plate of chicken wings. All of sudden, out of no where, this huge spider jumps across my arm, the chicken wings went flying over the balcony and I ran inside and closed the sliding glass doors. My wife and I sat in amazement at the size of the spider as it started to weave a web across the outside of the sliding glass doors. My wife had a good laugh, but it gave me the heebe jeebees.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Omg, look at the size of the choppers on that thing!

Maybe that's where they got the idea for this new movie.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

sorry but thats a poecilotheria regalis, and a female by the looks of it...
i have like a dozen of them, cool critters they are. nice pick though...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Perhaps you should visit some of the south east asian countries on a archnophobia therapy tour and enjoy some their tasty critter cuisine/dishes including spiders

edit on 4-4-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I hate spiders.

But, that thing is beautiful and huge.

As long as stays there in Sri Lanka.

I'm fine with admiring the beauty.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Awww, Sri Lanka is AWESOME! I visited Colombo for a month a couple of years ago. We went went as far inland as we could to Kandy for a couple of days and then south to climb Sri Pada (Adam's Peak) and then back to Colombo. The spiders we never saw, but we saw lots of elephants, monkeys, cows, and dogs. I actually plan on moving there or to India hopefully within the next 10 years after my hubby retires and we get all our kids graduated
I will be sure to keep a lookout for those creepy spiders though. I hate spiders!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by WeRpeons

Perhaps you should visit some of the south east asian countries on a archnophobia therapy tour and enjoy some their tasty critter cuisine/dishes including spiders

edit on 4-4-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

Mmmmmm, tastes like chicken !!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blach!!!! I have such an overwhelming fear of spiders. And yet I still clicked on the link.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Thanks ats another place i'll never visit

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Omg, all of you people are freaking hillerious , to be sure ... ya all are like why did i click on the pic and then you view and comment ,

the titled of the thread is about a new spider ... just for the heck it i think ill go box up a fw of these babies and place em all on ya faces while ya all are sleeping and laugh my ass off when you wake up screaming like a bunch of girls ......

moral of this story dont click the pic if you fear spiders

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by sarahlm

As for Britain, you have wolves, vikings raiders, soccer riots, bombs going off now and again and the blitz that could come back at any time. (This is an assumption on my part due to the missile interceptors placed on residential buildings during the Olympics)

We have Crocodiles in some places and these all have warning signs. White pointers we have, but we have life guards and choppers that keep us safe. Our snakes generally run away from humans unless your really stupid and pick a fight. Drop bears are easy to handle as well. It is a safe place. Safer that yours or the US.

P

We have wolves in Britain? Really?
Oh, you mean Wolves as in Wolverhampton Wanderers football team?

They're quite harmless and they dress in bight orange so they're easily avoided although they're quite restricted to the Black Country area of the Midlands.

As for the spider, it looks very impressive indeed.
Almost cuddly.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

What did you do!
You hunted them to extinction!
I would guess there are still a few around, moving on tippy toes on some mountain or other pretending to be German Shepherds.

When will our species ever learn. That is really sad.

P

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by Pardon?

What did you do!
You hunted them to extinction!
I would guess there are still a few around, moving on tippy toes on some mountain or other pretending to be German Shepherds.

When will our species ever learn. That is really sad.

P

They make lovely rugs...

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The cobalt blue tarantula-the only good-looking spider i have seen.iIwould'nt want it walking on me-but its propably as good as a spider gets-lookswise anyway.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ShortStuff

I bet the critters are more afraid in those regions of the humans

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
The cobalt blue tarantula-the only good-looking spider i have seen.iIwould'nt want it walking on me-but its propably as good as a spider gets-lookswise anyway.

Well that's probably for the best considering that haplopelma lividum (cobalt blue) is psycho...

They are not for beginners.

------------------

Just wanted to reiterate... The spider in the OP is not a new species...
edit on 5-4-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
Camel spiders also measure up to 8 inches, but some say they've seen bigger ones out there. I think I'd take the tarantula over the camel spider. There's something creepier about the camel spider.

Of course a camel spider(solifugid) is not a spider. Though it is an arachnid and can run freaking fast. All both fun facts that make for a basis of a good urban legend. en.wikipedia.org... If it makes you feel better, we have solifugids in North America as well. Probobly sleeping under your pillow....

edit on 5-4-2013 by Nemo418 because: pillow

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Giant snakes I can stand. Giant spiders? NO WAY.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I am not a spider lover and if i saw that huge thing id be screaming and looking for something to kill it that would just freak me out!! Sri Lanka can keep there giant spiders and i will never vacation there (shivers) peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join