It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Species of Tarantula Discovered in Sri Lanka - (The size of your face)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Hahahaha, it's ok Mr Spider, I don't need a car anyway.....

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

But what if the spider just wants to be your friend? Maybe it wants to ask you to accompany it to dinner and watch a movie and then get some ice cream. It probably gets all heartbroken when it sees you running away screaming

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

How could you possibly show a collection of Australia's finest without a pic of the Redback.

Redback Spider

One of the cutest spiders. Female is lethal to Humans but visit us anyway. We have anti venom for most of our poisonous friends. Just get to the hospital in time or better yet, panic and ring an ambulance.

Come on people, being bitten, eaten to death and all those other grizzly problems very rarely happen to Australians. It is very, very rare.

P

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Oh my god, nope.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

I know, but I have to do what I have to do, it's just too scary

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I don't see many redbacks around anymore and it slipped my mind.. Mostly those Wolf Spiders which look similar to the Tarantula and the White tails. Get a few Orb spiders every now and then and there pretty cool.

These are the coolest ones though

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarahlm

Oh my god, nope.

(This is humor!)

You wimp! You come from the UK, a lineage of the Great White Hunter not afraid of Elephants, Bengal Tigers and Lions. What, scared of a little ity bity spider?

I thought the only thing an Englishman feared was the Aussie Cricket Team.

P

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I' am a complete wimp when it comes to spiders. And where I live in the UK, we don't get that many big one's thankfully

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I' am a complete wimp when it comes to spiders. And where I live in the UK, we don't get that many big one's thankfully

Actually, the spiders are quiet friendly to foreigners...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

In actual fact and I suppose IMHO our spiders are not that deadly. If you digging in the garden we use gloves to avoid certain species. Redbacks are quite visible and they live under things so it becomes second nature to check for their presence.

The most annoying is the white tip. They are tiny and hard to see. You often do not register the bite as pain. These are non-lethal. One of these buggers bit me about 15 years ago and I was bed ridden for a week and took almost a month before I recovered completely.

I love to hear the Americans tell us what a dangerous place we live in. We do not have packs of wolves. There are no big cats to worry about. We don't have Grizzly Bears or Brown Bears. We don't have alligators. We don't have birds big enough to try and pick up toddlers. Then there are rattle snakes and the Police that just shoot unarmed people left right and centre.

As for Britain, you have wolves, vikings raiders, soccer riots, bombs going off now and again and the blitz that could come back at any time. (This is an assumption on my part due to the missile interceptors placed on residential buildings during the Olympics)

We have Crocodiles in some places and these all have warning signs. White pointers we have, but we have life guards and choppers that keep us safe. Our snakes generally run away from humans unless your really stupid and pick a fight. Drop bears are easy to handle as well. It is a safe place. Safer that yours or the US.

P

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
What a beauty! That camo is awesome. Looks like if it were on rocks covered with lichen it would be invisible. Fast and poisonous, 'shudders'.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Just Kidding!

I will try to remove a spider rather than kill it at all costs!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
I have a huge phobia of spiders. I was so proud of myself one day, because, a friend of mine had a tarantula as a pet and I touched it. I then touched my face and it broke out in a rash.

Psychosomatic? Probably.

Will I ever willingly touch one again? Not a chance.

Especially if it is as big as my face..

Side note: I am never going to visit Sri Lanka now. Ever.
edit on 3-4-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

spiders would be the least of your worries in sri lanka, they have some crazy, scary poisonous "others", too. it's wise to pay the money for western run hotels there.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yummy when grilled and served with a$$ rippin hot sauce

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Actually, the spiders are quiet friendly to foreigners...

geez, good thing you're not a tourist guide? is that why so many aussie tourist broshures talk about what a wonderful and exotic place the center of the country is??...."COME TO ALICE SPRINGS, IT'S THE NEW HOT SPOT IN CRAZY FUN"!!!!!!!
edit on 4-4-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to pos.t by RooskiZombi

No, I hope thats not real
I saw littled's post and went looking for a pic, found that one.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Hey I can finally play the expert..... Haven't gotten to do that in a while..

That spider in the OP is identical to poecilotheria regalis...

poecliotheria rajaei (the spider in the op) in my opinion is not a new species but simply a P. Regalis.

Why they think it's a new species? Well I don't know the answer to that.

Yes the spider in the OP is slightly lighter in color but that shade is not uncommon in the P. Regalis.

I would have to say as an entomologist that the scientists who made this "discovery" are sadly mistaken.
edit on 4-4-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
reply to post by daryllyn

Darillyn, you weren't psychosomatic. Some tarantulas, if not all, can "release" their hairs on their rear and cause anything from a slight itch to a bad rash. Some hair just falls off when handled and some spiders can forcefully release their hairs when they are cornered or they become uncomfortable.

Well, thank you for letting me know that it wasn't some imagined, psychosomatic reaction!

It was years ago, but, you can be sure that I will not be touching one (probably) ever again.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

As long as they keep them in Sri Lanka, (I don't plan on going there in the near future or in my life time for that matter).

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by RooskiZombi

As long as they keep them in Sri Lanka, (I don't plan on going there in the near future or in my life time for that matter).
I guess where you live might not house any creepy critters/reptiles/insects/life form?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join