It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Species of Tarantula Discovered in Sri Lanka - (The size of your face)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Link

(Couldn't see a thread on this Mods, but move is need be)

Scientists found these spiders with a leg span up to 8 inches across living in trees and the old doctor’s quarters of a hospital in Mankulam, Sri Lanka.

Covered in beautiful, ornate markings, the spiders belong to the genus Poecilotheria, known as “Pokies” for short. These are the tiger spiders, an arboreal group indigenous to India and Sri Lanka that are known for being colorful, fast, and venomous. As a group, the spiders are related to a class of South American tarantula that includes the Goliath bird-eater, the world’s largest.

They have rather unique markings; geometric patterns with daffodil-yellow and grey inlays on the first and fourth legs

It was first seen during a Sri Lankan arachnid survey led by Ranil Nanayakkara, co-founder of Sri Lanka’s Biodiversity Education and Research. In October 2009, a local villager presented Nanayakkara and his team with a dead male specimen that didn’t resemble known Poecilotheria in the area. Before the team could begin describing the presumptive new species, they needed more individuals. Scouring the semi-evergreen, forested area for females and juveniles required the help of police inspector Michael Rajakumar Purajah, who accompanied the team through areas just beginning to recover from a civil war. Eventually, the team found enough spiders — including the ones hiding in a hospital — to assemble a detailed description of the new arachnids.

Personally, not a huge Spider fan.. But I can admire the beauty of these creatures and am saddened that several species are endangered due to humans

So far, about 15 species have been described within Poecilotheria. Several are endangered, due mostly to loss of habitat. P. metallica, a bright blue beauty, is considered critically endangered. So is P. hanumavilasumica – named after a temple on Rameshwaram Island — which lives among the trees in the island’s disappearing plantations. The spider which most closely resembles P. rajaei is called P. regalis, and so far has only been found on the Indian mainland. Nanayakkara hints that he’s got several more potential new tarantulas up his sleeve, awaiting review.

edit on 3-4-2013 by RooskiZombi because: Typo

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
They are kind of cool looking, as long as they stay away from me.

Odd that they found some hiding in a hospital. I'm starting to picture them searching out bags of blood to feed on.

Great... nightmares tonight.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't have to let it
crawl on my face though ....

I have seen many
arachnids this size
on travels threw SE Asia
although they were
usually dead already
mounted behind glass frame
& awaiting sale to a foreigner

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

If I ever had one of those come into my personal space I would die of a massive aneurism right on the spot! I am never, never, NEVER going to Sri Lanka!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

Great, now i'll have nightmares too!
They sure are purdy for little blood suckers though, I wonder if you can tame them? Some Tarantulas are really timid and friendly, not that i've ever trusted one enough to be within a 10 foot distance..

and littled16 I don't know if i'll be visiting there in this lifetime either

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Excellent! Its not like we had enough species of spiders already

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Great find! SnF~

I'm the same way, I don't like spiders, I understand they are essential for our ecosystem and do a lot of good for the environment... Though~

If I found one, I'm sorry to say that it wouldn't live long..... If I was walking through the woods and saw this..... I would shoot it. Find the nest and burn it.... Ironic, not environmentally friendly yes~

Though smashing spiders in the home is no different.

Beautiful creature YES~ Scare the sh*t out of me~ Hell YES~!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
very nice spider. cool patterning on it's back.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

They're actually pretty cool looking, but I think this might be the movie "Arachnophobia" coming to reality! Just kidding, but I'm glad I don't have to see those on a daily basis.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
OMG, why did I click the image link?

Impressively huge? No, a spider that big is the sh** nightmares are made of, man

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!

Neat find though.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

*SHUDDERS*

Wish I hadn't looked

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It's things like this that'll start driving me to go to sleep while wearing a fencer's mask from now on.

I hope these critters stay in Sri Lanka.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

Rocky I could have gone all year without seeing THAT!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
nope

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Cool picture !

Sri Lanka...imagine going to bed at night and once under covers, you notice something touching your toes...

Still, I'd take a dozen of those over one single snake...yep, yep, yep...

That is what nightmares are made of...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Yea i'm in the same boat.... I could have gone without ever seeing that thing..... "THING!"

Hrmmmm Hairspray.... Check..... Lighter..... Check.....

Monstrous spider..... I wait for your arrival~

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Sorry Littled, I didn't want to take away from the O/P but I thought it belonged on the thread'

It is really fascinating all the new species of spiders, animlas, fish,, etc That are still being found will it ever end? I try not to miss any threads like this. S&F O/P thanks.

Threads like these remind us that we are just a small part of this planet we call home.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Aaaaa...seeing that thing anywhere would ruin my day.

www.wired.com...

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join