It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nolan Chart on what the Left and Right stand for

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The upper left quadrant represents the political Left � favoring government that taxes more and spends more for activities such as welfare, healthcare, education, Social Security and funding for the arts and that encourages more barriers on trade and business regulations (which David Nolan labeled "low economic freedom"), but supporting personal choice in issues such as marijuana, homosexuality and the draft (which he labeled "high personal freedom").

At the bottom right is its converse, the political Right, whose coordinates place it as supporting high economic freedom and low personal freedom. Those on the Right want lower taxes and fewer social programs but support regulation by the government of cultural issues and personal behavior.

The Nolan Chart places David Nolan's own ideology, libertarianism, at the top right, corresponding with high freedom in both economic and social matters. The fourth quadrant at the bottom left represents the antithesis of libertarianism. David Nolan originally called this philosophy populism, but many later renditions of the chart have used the label authoritarianism instead.

More

[edit on 2-11-2004 by TrueLies]

[edit on 2-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Very nice box Truelies.. Have to say IMO it's a good representation of the views of each party, hence why I'll never vote for the GOP b/c I don't like the idea of personal freedoms being hammered on (unless you're wealthy and have less pigmentation in your skin if you know what I mean). Additionally only those elite will experience economic freedom while the middle class common man and below will have to suffer.

Yes some left-wing things may be contraversial such as gay marriage, marijuana etc., but I tend to be more open-minded and would like to be progressive rather than wanting to keep the same status quo like the GOP. Then again looking at the hateful era most of those in control of the GOP grew up in it's no surpise they want to keep things the same. Still a lot of them probaby pissed over minorities getting the right to vote some 30yrs ago.

join