It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe the U.K. citizens should repeal/defunct the process of the Royal Prerogative

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

If U.K. citizens can convey their opinions and stress their desires for the US to abolish the 2nd Amendment, why can't an American ask for the same courtesy of them (to criticize and ask for change the their ruling body)?

And there lies the true reason for this thread it’s a “well if you tell us to get rid of our guns, we say you should get rid of your queen”

It’s a childish and downright stupid argument, saying we should get rid of the monarch is the exact same as us saying to you “you should abolish the office of president”. Its not comparable to gun legislation.

Your haven’t posted this as a informed opinion but because for some strange reason you think it would get a rise out of a Brit, which if you knew any Brits you would know is utter nonsense as we don’t really care.

If I say ban the second amendment (for the record I agree with it) then that is a fair opinion I have a right to express that opinion or does the first amendment only count for Americans….

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

And I have the same right to my opinion that the Royal Prerogative (not abolishing the monarch mind you) is an outdated concept and should be revoked.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

Well, it seems that the United States being only a shade over 200 years old (not 1000 year, as was the former British Empire) was founded on all those things, INCLUDING the 2nd Amendment. It is as much a part of our heritage and sense of nationality as your monarch. Am I promoting abolishing the monarchy? When did I ever say that? Please, I want to see the quote.

I am advocating abolishing the Royal Prerogative only. It is an outdated and needless remnant of an empire ruled by an individual. As long as that stands, your country is a monarchy, and not truly a free society, since it, ultimately has this as a possibility, however remote.

This is our heritage, and for a very good reason. The people having the right to keep and bear arms, to protect themselves and their country from all enemies, foreign and domestic is such a foreign concept I do not expect anyone that is not an American to truly understand, as I could never understand accepting the fact that being ruled by a single monarchy, "chosen by royal blood" as a way of life.

Can I accept that you will not be willing the throw away your heritage based upon the opinion of someone outside that culture, thousands of miles away? Of course not. But I do ask the same courtesy from others concerning our cultural heritage, whether it is understood or not....understand?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
Well, it seems that the United States being only a shade over 200 years old (not 1000 year, as was the former British Empire) was founded on all those things, INCLUDING the 2nd Amendment.

Amendment: A minor change in a document; A change or addition to a legal or statutory document.
The 2nd Amendment was not a part of the Constitution. It was added. Hence why it's an amendment. Fair enough it was added shortly after, but it wasn't the basis.

[quote[Am I promoting abolishing the monarchy? When did I ever say that? Please, I want to see the quote.

You say that immediately in the next paragraph.

I am advocating abolishing the Royal Prerogative only. (snip) As long as that stands, your country is a monarchy

So, in your words, Prerogative=Monarchy. Get rid of one, we lose the other.

This is our heritage, and for a very good reason. The people having the right to keep and bear arms, to protect themselves and their country from all enemies, foreign and domestic is such a foreign concept I do not expect anyone that is not an American to truly understand, as I could never understand accepting the fact that being ruled by a single monarchy, "chosen by royal blood" as a way of life.

It's not a foreign concept at all. On the contrary, owning a gun to protect your family and defend your nation is probably one of the most honourable things one could do. Which is why the UK, you will find, hasn't banned guns. A lot of people labour under the misapprehension that owning a gun in the UK is illegal. It's not. Gun ownership is perfectly fine and legal, but it is very strictly regulated and controlled. As it should be. I don't think America should get rid of it's guns at all, I just think gun ownership should be a bit more...shall we say, selective.
And to keep this on topic, I should say that guns in America should be regulated with a lot more ruthlessness, in the EXACT same way Parliament regulates the Royal Prerogative. The Queen decides she wants taxes to go up to 50%? Parliament steps right in and squashes it. She claims Royal Prerogative, Parliament removes her from office.
See the good thing about a monarchy is it's just one person, and in terms of governance, she's a figurehead. Remove her from the throne, stick Charles on and away we go. Day to day life is completely unaffected.

Can I accept that you will not be willing the throw away your heritage based upon the opinion of someone outside that culture, thousands of miles away? Of course not. But I do ask the same courtesy from others concerning our cultural heritage, whether it is understood or not....understand?

I don't understand, no. You're happy to sit there, whining about how those people thousands of miles away are telling you to tighten up those gun laws, and how we're asking you to throw away your heritage and identity, but the simple fact is that your own government and it's people are doing a better job of actually disregarding it.

America is a very powerful nation, but it is also a very young nation. It's various laws and legalities are still in a state that's very 'fluid,' and you have reached the point where it's starting to solidify. Which is when the problems come. Looking forward, each President has to think 'Is this the right way?' Granted, some of those Presidents will not care about the future of their country, but the good ones do. And it's those ones who have to make the calls that sometimes people will not like. Now. But in the decades and centuries to come, people will probably be grateful for.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join