It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb from WWII successfully disabled in Berlin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Berlin (CNN) - Bomb disposal experts have successfully disabled a World War II bomb discovered near the main station in the German capital, Berlin, police said Wednesday. Dozens of homes in central Berlin were evacuated ahead of the delicate operation to remove the bomb's mechanical fuse. In total, 839 people were evacuated as police cleared an area within a 300-yard radius of the bomb.

I just saw this article and thought it was pretty interesting. I for one was completely unaware that there were still active bombs from that time frame. The article goes on to say that disarming bombs in Berlin from WWII is a part of daily life.

Now if we had this same problem in the states would people be more understanding of the long term effects of war?www.cnn.com...
edit on 3-4-2013 by Banquo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Banquo

This happens quite often in France too as when Bombers were heading back to the UK after dropping their payload some of them still had bombs and dropped them to make the planes lighter for fuel reasons.

I believe that this is also the case in the UK when German bombers were heading back from blitzing London.

I remember when i was a kid on holiday on the North East coast that it was not rare that bomb disposal experts were called to the beach to take care of WW2 mines that had drifted ashore as well.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Nothing unusual to find a bomb still these days when you think about how many was dropped, there would probably be a failure rate either due to faults in manufacture or it landed in a river or somewhere where it wouldn't go off and they found a 2,200lb bomb in 2008 preparing for the olympics BBC and theres probably loads more awaiting some poor sod with a digger to find

join