It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural Formations vs. Artificial Structures: Strange Geometry at Glenelg (Curiosity/MSL)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
reply to post by jeep3r

Well have a look at this image some eroded Basalt

Turn that on its side cover parts of it with wind blown sand photograph from a distance then zoom in , I see an almost circular , oval and square opening , there are also ridges as well.

Again a good find ... and I guess if we searched all over the world we would ultimately find formations that resemble all those parts?

At Glenelg, however, we have it all in one place and the above example is not the only feature with that strange kind of alignment and detail. I've had a look at other places, too, that look a bit like Glenelg ... and found some natural and some not so natural similarities between them, at least in my view:

For example Dallol, Ethiopia:

Reminds me a bit of the salt-like crusts Curiosity imaged on Sol 164:

But you can also find something like this at Dallol:

_______

Regarding the last example: add in some corrosion-free & more resistant material (as well as a somewhat weaker erosion on Mars throughout most of the Amazonian period) and I think it's not completely impossible to see some remains like that in the terrain. Although dust-covered, weathered, partially buried, twisted & bent ... but why not?

Ultimately, it could all be natural, of course. But should we therefore completely exclude the other interpretation and possibility? I don't think so ...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I see a lot of minerals in those rocks.
Looks like rocks that we have here on earth. It also appears that mars may have had lightning in it's past, how long ago I am not sure. Could have been millions of years ago.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeep3r

reply to post by jeep3r

Well have a look at this image some eroded Basalt

Turn that on its side cover parts of it with wind blown sand photograph from a distance then zoom in , I see an almost circular , oval and square opening , there are also ridges as well.

Again a good find ... and I guess if we searched all over the world we would ultimately find formations that resemble all those parts?

Do you honestly think that rock above is the only rock that looks like that in that area

Do an image search on google for eroded basalt or basalt errosion you will find many images with rocks of similar features.

Or how about this.

If that appeared in a Mars image we would get claims of city walls from many on here, I mean nature cant do nice straight lines or cuts but as has been shown many times don't assume what nature can do with rocks.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

reply to post by jeep3r

Do an image search on google for eroded basalt or basalt errosion you will find many images with rocks of similar features. Or how about this.

If that appeared in a Mars image we would get claims of city walls from many on here, I mean nature cant do nice straight lines or cuts but as has been shown many times don't assume what nature can do with rocks.

Basalt erosion would indeed be a good explanation for some of the formations we see at Glenelg. I admit that basalt can also be quite geometrical in appearance, but I also think it has some characteristic properties that make it recongnizable as such in many cases.

Your example of basalt formations reminds me of the blocks imaged on Sol 107:

But I don't remember anyone having identified the above feature as a non-natural formation (at least as far as I know). That's probably because it really seems to be of natural origin despite the flat top and straight lines.

And here is another example of rather interesting cuts in rocks (Sol 173):

The last example may be the result of frost or ice wedging (some examples here) or another geological process I'm not aware of. Here, too, it is rather likely to find a natural cause for what we see. Perhaps a combination of such natural processes can result in even stranger features, but who can tell?

In my view, the explanations we discussed up to now are good, but I still don't think they explain the details and distinctive features I highlighted in this thread and other threads/posts. The ventifact theory probably comes closest, but I'm still not convinced that it's really what we're looking at.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

I see a lot of minerals in those rocks. Looks like rocks that we have here on earth. It also appears that mars may have had lightning in it's past, how long ago I am not sure. Could have been millions of years ago.

Or perhaps even not so long ago ...

The first detection of lightning in a Martian dust storm has likely been made by a new detector on a radio telescope.

Scientists have long thought that as with dust devils and storms here on Earth, Martian dust storms should produce lightning. But direct evidence of electric discharges on the red planet was lacking. That's where an innovative detector installed in a 34-meter radio telescope in the Deep Space Network lent a hand.

This detector captured the signature of the radiation given off by the lightning for a few hours during a Martian dust storm on June 8, 2006. (...)

Source: www.space.com/7102-lightning-detected-mars.html

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Interesting....I know that ground lightning was created during the dust bowl event from the sand itself and it shorted out the old cars sometimes. Just think of what dust storm lightning would do to the new style computerized cars. Mechanics will become rich

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Your example of basalt formations reminds me of the blocks imaged on Sol 107:

But I don't remember anyone having identified the above feature as a non-natural formation (at least as far as I know). That's probably because it really seems to be of natural origin despite the flat top and straight lines.

You have been here a short time you should look back at some of the older threads then you will know what I mean I would give you some members names to look at old threads but some on here are very easily upset

edit on 9-4-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
OMG YOU FOUND THE ARK OF THE COVENANT!!! THAT'S WHERE IT'S BEEN ALL THIS TIME!!!

Seriously d00d you're seeing things. They're just rocks.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

OMG YOU FOUND THE ARK OF THE COVENANT!!! THAT'S WHERE IT'S BEEN ALL THIS TIME!!!

Thanks for the pointer, DaRAGE!! But that's quite a disappointment then, I was actually looking for a stone plate with the TEN COMMANDMENTS ...

Seriously d00d you're seeing things. They're just rocks.

Let's say I'm just looking twice, especially since it's an expensive mission financed by the public. So the images deserve a closer look.

And I, too, see mostly rocks, indeed. But whether or not there's something else underneath the dust-cover, that's something both of us cannot prove at this point. So let's just keep an open mind about all this!

edit on 9-4-2013 by jeep3r because: text

edit on 9-4-2013 by jeep3r because: formatting

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

You have been here a short time you should look back at some of the older threads then you will know what I mean I would give you some members names to look at old threads but some on here are very easily upset

Well, no need to mention any names, indeed ... but some people are quickly interpreting something into the rocks, that's certainly the case.

And again: thanks for all your pointers and comments up to now. I think it's valuable to look at things from different points of view and applying different explanations. If you find something else that could be a good natural cause for these features (and those of my other posts), just let me know!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

No problem like I said at least you are level headed compared to some that make this type of thread I would really like to see something that was artificial and if I did see something I would back it!!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The last example may be the result of frost or ice wedging (some examples here) or another geological process I'm not aware of. Here, too, it is rather likely to find a natural cause for what we see. Perhaps a combination of such natural processes can result in even stranger features, but who can tell?

Maybe the rocks in the photos on this thread are a result of salt weathering.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the pointer, DaRAGE!! But that's quite a disappointment then, I was actually looking for a stone plate with the TEN COMMANDMENTS ...

Or the 15 Commandments.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Maybe the rocks in the photos on this thread are a result of salt weathering.

That sounds quite reasonable, if it wasn't for some of the disturbing details. You probably know that I think there are a few things in those images that don't seem quite right ...

But all in all, I think we're getting a lot of good explanations together in order to interpret the overall geology at Glenelg. Can't wait to see what the MSL science team comes up with next ... in terms of official geological interpretations!

edit on 9-4-2013 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by jeep3r

Interesting....I know that ground lightning was created during the dust bowl event from the sand itself and it shorted out the old cars sometimes. Just think of what dust storm lightning would do to the new style computerized cars. Mechanics will become rich

Well, to be honest: I had to look up what exactly you meant ... but now I know what the Dust Bowl event is and I clearly see a certain analogy to this thread!

Image Source: Wikipedia, Public Domain

P.S.: Thanks for the hint!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join