It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Yahoo

When filmmaker Carla MacKinnon started waking up several times a week unable to move, with the sense that a disturbing presence was in the room with her, she didn't call up her local ghost hunter. She got researching. Now, that research is becoming a short film and multiplatform art project exploring the strange and spooky phenomenon of sleep paralysis. The film, supported by the Wellcome Trust and set to screen at the Royal College of Arts in London, will debut in May.

Now, that research is becoming a short film and multiplatform art project exploring the strange and spooky phenomenon of sleep paralysis. ...

Sleep paralysis happens when people become conscious while their muscles remain in the ultra-relaxed state that prevents them from acting out their dreams. The experience can be quite terrifying, with many people hallucinating a malevolent presence nearby, or even an attacker suffocating them. Surveys put the number of sleep paralysis sufferers between about 5 percent and 60 percent of the population.

Some of these stories are just bone chilling...

One man told her about his frequent sleep paralysis episodes, during which he'd experience extremely realistic hallucinations of a young child, skipping around the bed and singing nursery rhymes. Sometimes, the child would sit on his pillow and talk to him. One night, the tot asked the man a personal question. When he refused to answer, the child transformed into a "horrendous demon," MacKinnon said.

Wow.

For more info, go to the website of The Sleep Paralysis Project

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This is the source of the stupid shadow people stories that people believe. Personally I've never had it happen, but I'd keep my eyes shut if it did. If you hold your breath you should be fine within seconds.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I dealt with this most of my life until the last 5 years or so. I was clueless as to what it was until I started doing research. When i joined ATS I learned that it was more common than I thought. I have since learned tips and tricks to keep it away, such as sleeping on my stomach or side. It is more likely to happen when sleeping on your back, or in cases of extreme stress.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I've experienced this many times as well, the first time is the scariest because I was unable to move or yell. Hopped out of bed the first time because it was pretty terrifying. There was a loud buzzing in my ears and my entire body feels like it tingles in a numb way. Later on I just learned to wait it out and continue sleeping.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I had my experience when I was sleeping on my side.
That thing looked like a quivering blob of shiny black tar.

Another time I saw what looked like really a disfigured person riding on a dinosaur skeleton. I tried to ignore it thinking he would go away if I just ignored it... but it lashed at me with whip that just missed me by a few inches and hit the bed.

My question is, why are all these apparitions so nasty and negative? How come they don't take the form of something pleasant?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Stories may be scary to read, but far more scary to experience. I lived through about 15 -20 years of this. It came and went whenever it wanted, I'd normally get a feeling around dusk that it was going to be one of those nights.
I am not really bible religious, but I believe in a creator and found that asking for help from God or saying the Lords prayer usually works in ridding them for awhile.
The problem I had was that I was always tired, and obviously lack of sleep made me more tired. Which meant I would get drowsy, fall asleep and be attacked, I think they actually drain you of energy in some way, they are parasitical and IMHO exist and are not some psychological disorder.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The website that you linked provided quite a few clues. I think that it may have to do with the mindset at the time of the attack and that people with with PTSD, depression and anxiety are more prone to them. Just a guess though.

From the website on sleep position.

Position: 58% of sleep paralysis attacks were reported to occur in the supine position (lying on back), much higher than any other position (prone = 8%, side = 17%). Sleep paralysis sufferers were found to be no more likely to fall asleep in the supine position compared to non-sleep paralysis sufferers (22% of the total sample indicated falling asleep in the supine position).

@SpearMint

If you hold your breath you should be fine within seconds.
The website the OP linked states that it is impossible to hold your breath during an attack. Otherwise it would be worth a try.

edit on 3-4-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
This is the source of the stupid shadow people stories that people believe. Personally I've never had it happen, but I'd keep my eyes shut if it did. If you hold your breath you should be fine within seconds.

I don't suffer sleep paralysis, but i have witnessed a shadow person...

I opened a door to a pitch black part of my house. Upon flicking the switch on, i saw what appeared to be a black, shadowy figure sitting on a lounge. It was leaning forward, with both hands touching each other (finger tip to finger tip).

It remained there long enough for my brain to process what it looked like, but it didn't stay there long (only disappearing just after the rest of the shadows).

I also experienced other "paranormal activity" during the time. Upon giving the lounge away (the same one which the shadow person was sitting on), the activity ceased.
edit on 3-4-2013 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I think there might be something to this But..

I in no way believe this can account for all alleged manifestations of what we call demons. To suggest that is silly if thats what this gal is doing.

Her film might be interesting to see if she has a slant on this and an agenda.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Just a question.

Does the sleep disorder make you see demons or does seeing demons make you think you have a sleep disorder?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Seriously, my question is - how old are those that experience this? Does it have something to do with the many vaccines you were given as an infant, and child? There was a story/news that showed different sleeping disorders (night terrors?) that are caused by all the vaccine adjudacants given to kids.

Of course, there's the history of autism, that some believe in, and others don't, in relation with vaccines.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Does the sleep disorder make you see demons or does seeing demons make you think you have a sleep disorder?

I think a lot of paranormal activities are mislabeled as 'disorders'.

Or maybe demons infest human minds... which is why such cases are taken as psychological cases.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This is really interesting, I have a few friends who see "demons" and such during the day, apparently this is not schizophrenia, which is only voices, but is probably related to blood-sugar levels as both people are diabetic.

Both of them actually see and describe the same things to me, most of which fit the description of various forms of greys. Interestingly enough, both of them notice that the tall greys (they don't know what they are seeing is called) frequent caves or underground research facilities.

One of my friends lives near a giant underground research facility in southern Idaho.
edit on 3-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Demons might be a "fear" people might have if their religious maybe or they have it back in their
minds.Same applies to shadow people they would call it or slender man, hence why people had
them probably. I've never encountered it before.

I try to induce it on purpose sleep paralysis, experimenting actually, only get it once in a while,
so my experiment doesn't last long since it fades a away. Sometimes I can keep the effect a
long time, I wouldnt be aware of the time. My sleep paralysis sensations usually felt like
someone was strangling me or sleeping on my neck, each time I awoke, I would have a
very strong sensation on my throat I wouldnt see nothing though. Reminds me of my cat,
used to sleep on our neck/chest lols.

Sleep paralysis is actually prety interesting, you can continue from paralysis to lucid/vivid
dreaming as well,easier to be aware. I try to avoid dreaming though from para. Does take
some concentration though.

I forget something, I remember the whole conspiracy thingy about illumini, how they
took over the music industry and brain washing people with these pop idols with
devil music lols? I don't pay attention to the whole music scene. You guys
who see demons, maybe listen to any of these big record labels music constantly lols..
edit on 3-4-2013 by aerial because: hehe

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Joking aside sleep sends us into an odd world I often have sleep paralysis about once a month or so at the time Iam covered in sweat and unable to move, I just go back to sleep and wake up fine.
I do have really intense dreams just before but no demons and nothing scary.
I just put it down to being half asleep and half awake.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Hhhhm something in that thinking back everytime I have had it I awake on my back which is odd because I always sleep on my side.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

I've had it a number of times. You have zero control over your body. Let alone stopping breathing or opening your eyes.

I enjoy it now. It's always scary, but a thrill when you know to just let it happen.

The feeling of having some entity with you is very strong, and what causes most of the fear. But it's awesome to think it's all in the mind.

Unless demons really are pointless monsters in reality, after all.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

I had my experience when I was sleeping on my side.
That thing looked like a quivering blob of shiny black tar.

Another time I saw what looked like really a disfigured person riding on a dinosaur skeleton. I tried to ignore it thinking he would go away if I just ignored it... but it lashed at me with whip that just missed me by a few inches and hit the bed.

My question is, why are all these apparitions so nasty and negative? How come they don't take the form of something pleasant?

We don't deserve good things? I think it plays a lot on our perception of ourselves.

We fear the unknown. Being trapped and having that feeling of something there, is an unknown. It's easy to get along with it however, yell at it, take it's power.. works a treat, just like not fighting a falling dream. You get to enjoy it then.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I also think If you are taught to believe in demons and such you will see them because you have been conditioned to.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

greeeeeeaaaatttt i sleep on back am constantly stressed....luckly i have insomnia so it does not happen often....i remember the first time it happened, i was about 16 and fell asleep on couch only to wake up and see Elvis floating above me! (-: guess im lucky most of mine seem to be silly.....lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join