It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember when toys were toys? (Ahhh the good old days!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

The worst thing to say when i was a kid was 'I don't know what to do" in a whiney voice!

I think i only ever said that once because my parents made me clean up the upstairs attic, which turned out to be great fun (overturning and discovering all those old strange objects up there!)(AND old toys!!))

One of my sons (the remaining one at home) and is now 14 often comes out with this dreaded phrase when the WiFi connection is down and he can't play his favourite game on the PS3... That really narks me because no matter what you propose to him, he will say no and then complain that he is bored...

However, saying that, i only need to propose to him to help us out in the garden and somewhat by surprise he will find something to do... Like continue sticking together that Airfix model that we both started working on a couple of years beforehand... or repairing that punctured tyre on his bike that i obstinately refuse to do again for the umpteenth time!!!

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

What a lovely thread friend. Those are neat toys and really awesome how the toys stayed through a few generations

I can't upload pictures right now, but I remember my favorite toy set was a she-ra crystal castle and a action figure she-ra and skeletor.

Kids these days do have too much...I would be really embarrassed if I posted a picture of my sons play room on here....it's insane. I was spoiled as well...being the only child til 16.... Hah!

Anyway hope you are having a nice day.

Peace and love
-nat the blue eyed cat-

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

That's when you break out the scalextrics or a humungous hotwheels layout

We tried not to get the Hot wheels track out when we were inside, Mom had to far of a reach when she used the track. (ouch)!!!

For T.V I was more into

Combat
Dragnet
Adam 12
Machales Navy

I did like Speed Racer

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timely

That's when you break out the scalextrics or a humungous hotwheels layout, maybe some smash-up-derby,
Or get out the soldiers and marbles and re-write history!

TV back in the day, maybe had two hrs. content worth my time. ( weekly )

A couple of my faves;

The Samurai
The Phantom Agents
Batman
Mighty Mouse
Superman ( George Reeve/s )

There are more ... all in glorious Black & White ...

edit on 3-4-2013 by Timely because: old timers ...

You know what Timely, this weekend i am going to have a good search through our attic as i have a scalextrics set up from my younger days... probably need to sort out the copper wiring on the cars, but going to try and persuade my last sibling to have a shot with me...

Will takes some pics if i can find it.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Great stuff! Just have plenty of steel wool to clean the tracks. lol.

Can almost smell it now ... up:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

One of my sons (the remaining one at home) and is now 14 often comes out with this dreaded phrase when the WiFi connection is down and he can't play his favourite game on the PS3... That really narks me because no matter what you propose to him, he will say no and then complain that he is bored...

And life swings the full circle.

You know I did forget one thing that did surprise me. The G-kids were giving me the I'm bored thing last summer. I went out to the Oak tree in the front yard and hung them a good old fashioned Tire Swing. They love it couldn't hardly get them off it, pleased me greatly. Going to put a zip line in for them next over the pond . That should keep them outside this summer.

The boys want a treehouse too. I guess if you are willing to put in some effort they will play outside.

edit on 3-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I have just had a rummage and came up with these two corkers too (sorry for the dust) :

First one is a wooden car which is still produced by hand by a French Family company

AND... Thomas and a mate :

Kindest respects

Rod
edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: crap spelling mitake

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by Timely

That's when you break out the scalextrics or a humungous hotwheels layout

We tried not to get the Hot wheels track out when we were inside, Mom had to far of a reach when she used the track. (ouch)!!!

For T.V I was more into

Combat
Dragnet
Adam 12
Machales Navy

I did like Speed Racer

Gilligans island
The rifleman
Bonanza
Bearcats ( obscure )
Thunderbirds
Aquaman
The Munsters
Lost in space

Sorry, going off on a tangent ... F-Troop . My favourite martian, my three sons, happy days .....

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Reading into your post i nearly thought that you hung your G-Kids!!

I still have the tree house here that i built for the kids but it is now down and used to house spare parts of the tractor!!

At the bottom of the garden the sad tyre on the rope still sadly sways in the wind on it's straggled rope and the cord of the zip wire is biting into the tree now.... *sighs*

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

I can't believe I forgot F- Troop

I'll try to get back on topic, Lincoln Logs, and Lego's.

Build it them knock it down!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Sorry folks but for some strange reason the Meccano, Spud gun and Dinky fire engine disappeared and i could not edit as time has gone past, so i will post them again here :

Of course these are copies, but i had exactly the same ones :

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: pic added

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I still have the tree house here that i built for the kids but it is now down and used to house spare parts of the tractor!!

Yep, as soon as I hit my teen years my folks started checking it for beer.

The golden age of childhood only last till freshman year.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Had the same ones! Only my spud gun was black - they were also a cap gun and water pistol !

I remember how cool "viewmasters" were when they came out !

How about SSP racers ?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm about to show my age here.....

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
My favorite toy was my bike...it was freedom. We roamed all over the place on those...before video games and on demand cartoons.

When I was a kid, cartoons were something that happened only on Saturday morning.

We didn't have cell phones either. If we wanted to talk to our friends, we SAW them...

Yep, good old days...

On actual toys though...loved me some GI Joe figs and vehicles, Star Wars ships and figs, etc.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
First, thanks for the kind comments about the car. Much appreciated.
And Rodinus, don't ever be ashamed of the one you made. You made it for the kids and that's what matters.
I remember when my Dad bought two old pedal cars and fixed them up for us kids and we were rapt. The hours we spent racing around in them!

And wow, there are some great replies in here! I mean, a big part of childhood should be the memories we take from it and carry with us for life, and the happy memories of just being kids and having fun are the best ones.

And the old TV series. Yes, I remember "The Samurai". (I think the lead actor was Hiroshi Ono.) And those "Ega Ninjas" who used to jump up on to the tops of buildings from the ground. Yeah, we knew they just reversed the film but it still looked cool. We loved going out and playing Samurais. And Mum called them the "Eager Beaver Ninjas" because they always seemed to be rushing from place to place.

Speaking of which, remember "Leave it to Beaver?", and "My Three Sons"?

The after-school and early evening shows on weekdays were great. Not often we watched them because we were usually outside, but I also remember "Combat!", "12 O'clock High", "Fury", "Flipper" and "Lassie". And yes, all in glorious black and white!

By the way I found where I'd saved a complete set of "how to" pics for that "classic" pedal car (the one in the pics I posted) and also some for a pedal-car jeep I built. (I had the pics on my old laptop that died then recalled I'd put them online -- and finally found them.) If you want to see how they were made I've got copies and can upload them here.

edit on 3/4/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
In the first post i showed you all an example of what our kids bedrooms could look like.

Finally, i decided to take the courage to scramble through the desolation and destruction of my sons bedroom (with his approval of course) and show you what his room looks like right now...

BEWARE NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED VERY GRAPHIC IMAGE :

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Does Mrs. Rodinus approve of you scurrying about the house with a camera?

Let's see your current playroom ( your workshop).

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
WOW boys n Girls...

Just seen some of the pics you have brought up and i had forgotten that i had those too (well some of them like the red glasses (can't remember what they are called now)) and those robot boxers!

Anyone remember having the original Etch a Sketch too?

Kindest respects

rod
edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: crap spelling mistake

edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Another crap spelling mistake... oh dear!

<< 1  2    4 >>

join