Remember when toys were toys? (Ahhh the good old days!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I was having a good think back last night quite late after having a discussion with Mrs Rodinus about how we think our kids have been spoilt rotten in regards to toys and whatnots and i thought afterwards that i would dig a little deeper into this matter and share with you all how i lived as a snotty nosed kid... many many years ago and how i now see the way that we are actually "treating our children"...

Taking into consideration that in the 60s and 70s (letting my age go...) we didn't have to worry about all the "Chinese" imported products as the media and marketing people from certain companies now actually shove down most peoples necks

So... to start off with, i would like to show you a couple of toys that i personally played with and absolutely relished when i was knee high to a grass hopper (please take into consideration that these are boys toys but i would be absolutely curious and happy to see what you girls played with) :

Meccano, the real deal and not the cheap stuff that rusts, bends and falls apart after 6 months :

The good old Spud gun (didn't need to but a box of crackers, just an old potato out of the garden was enough to play cops n robbers!) :

My old faithful Batmobile that actually fired plastic rockets from it's backside (and we didn't need a parents warning that we could choke on small parts!) :

The Dinky Fire Engine (this is a copy but i had exactly the same one) :

MASKATRON... Steve Majors feared enemy... :

My fetish toy... the Spitfire :

BUT....

There was another toy that really got me thinking and takes pride of place above my computer up until right now and i would love any toy lovers insight into this, is the following (please read the bottom of the toy) :

And it's bum :

And a couple of metal French toys such as the ones below :

Do you not find it sad to see that now we are offering our kids such things as this :

and that their bedrooms end up like this (yea yea, i might have slightly enlargened the fact) :

And that they will also end up like this :

Remember the good old days when we had nothing to worry about... when we were not filled full of crap and brainwashed because of subliminal marketing techniques and whatnot...

I miss the days when kids could have fun with real toys...

My 2 sons still have my toys that belonged to myself, my father and grandfather... they are relished and have been played with for many years and are still in one piece.... all the plastic chiçnese stuff has died after at least 1 year....

There you go... a little nostalgia from my behalf but also in a way... a subliminal rant on how we are all, (including our future generations) missing out on what used to be just FUN!!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: ATS bugs!
edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Had some mega issues with photos (many apologies)
edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Pics still playing havoc but will add in another post

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hi, most of your pics aren't showing up.

Also, thanks for this thread. Its bringing back a lot of memories as a kid.

I had a robot... an action figure... some water pistols... a laser gun that had flashy lights and made sounds... a little caterpillar thingy that had legs...but my MOST prized possession was my old Gameboy, (which I got when I was 12) and the games I had for it. Yeah, it falls under "video game" category, but that was way before Playstations and Xboxes.

edit on 3-4-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Hi Skorp,

Sorry bif the pics are not showing up, i am still working on it and hope everything will be fixed shortly...

Quite confusing actually!!!

If you can, show us your pics, it would be great to see???

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Hi, OP. Nice collection, there.

The motorcycle rider by Schuco -- this is pretty special and quite sought-after by tinplate toy collectors. Schuco was a German company, famous for producing quality toys. (I have a couple of Schuco teddy bears. Their bears are also quite collectable.) Yours shows it was made in the US zone (ie within post-war Germany), which assuming it's an original dates it to around 1950 or so.

Mike

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I just have my old gameboy.
I had all my other toys when I was much smaller, between 5-8.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by Rodinus

I just have my old gameboy.
I had all my other toys when I was much smaller, between 5-8.

Like this one you mean :

Lol i remember the first Donkey Kong on that!

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thanks Just for your reply,

I think that somewhere i also have a couple of those teddy bears neatly packed away in a box after our last removal!

As for the bike, what i find amazing is that now you wouldn't be able to find toys with the same markings on the bum!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Idk I was lucky enough to grow up in the age between good toys and good gaming system. Each age has new tech toys though, I guess.

People who only had like one wooden toy, a can to kick, maybe a rag doll, and maybe a couple books probably think you missed out on all the fun of imagination too.

Just one of those things where we always think there was some golden age once upon a time.

Oh and my toys were like g.i.joes, star wars, super nintendo...stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I still have my original Game boy, the sound doesn't work and there is a line going down the middle of the screen, but otherwise it still works.I still have the original Tetris game for it. It says patent pending on the back of the cartridge.

And OP, I had that same Indian motorcycle.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Mate, that is gold I had the exact same batmobile as a kid.
My favourite toys were Scalextrix car set. I had a lot of Airfix model planes that came in pieces, you glued them together and painted them, and as I am an Aussie my all time favourite was a Ross Faulkner Aussie rules football.
I broke many windows with that football, I wasn't a very popular kid in the neighborhood. I also collected Marvel comics which I sold when I was 16 years old.
I wish I kept them I had some that would be worth quite a bit today, I also agree that kids today are lazy.
My daughter who is 17 nearly 18 on school holidays has done nothing I have asked her to do, laying on her bed
Laptop, Iphone and Ipod is her world with occasional trips to the fridge.
If the SHTF they would be in a world of pain trying to cope without the devices.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Would be great to see the pics Boys n Girls...

If not, i will do my best to find them for you and then tell me if they resemble?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
My favourite toys were Scalextrix car set. I had a lot of Airfix model planes that came in pieces, you glued them together and painted them, and as I am an Aussie my all time favourite was a Ross Faulkner Aussie rules football.
I broke many windows with that football, I wasn't a very popular kid in the neighborhood. I also collected Marvel comics which I sold when I was 16 years old.
I wish I kept them I had some that would be worth quite a bit today, I also agree that kids today are lazy.
My daughter who is 17 nearly 18 on school holidays has done nothing I have asked her to do, laying on her bed
If the SHTF they would be in a world of pain trying to cope without the devices.

Yep, we could have saved the world with our Corgi Batmobile and a couple of Airfix Spifires and Hurricanes with bangers up their arses!

Blummin heck, i remember the first botched up job of painting an Airfix model once i had put it together... and then learned that you had to paint it beforehand!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I miss being a kid and using my imagination as I played with my toys. Now I see them as very expensive pieces of plastic not worth anything. But as a kid it was magic. I remember being a fan of Pokemon and thinking I was very awesome to have toys from the show and games.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
What a spin.. another one to add to the list this month, of things that seem to have two separate entries into my reality but end up at the same point in my mind.

Last night I was watching a documentary about an Aussie tv presenter/actor, Andrew Daddo, and his twin brother, who was severely brain damaged as an 18 year old. They were identical twins, and where one was the out going and boisterous youth to the others milder and meeker personality, after the accident it was a role reversal, which lead Andrew Daddo to be more like his brother, while his brother became trapped in a conscious world of limited movement and ability to express himself. He's taken on art as an outlet.

But at one point, Andrew said something that did my head in a bit. Just the phrase. He said "I stgill remember we were always doing things together, playing with the electric cars or kicking the footy".

I had not heard or said the words "Playing with the electric cars" in so long it was like seeing a familiar face.

And it made me think, I cannot really remember those toys I used to play with, took for granted, live with. And I realised that kids today just don't have that connection to the intimate playtime we had as kids.

We invented pretend worlds to play in. Now it comes to them.

So when I see this thread, it just strikes me -- I should have seen something coming, with so many little things all pointing somewhere in my world at the moment.

You know, see a new word for the first time on some news website, then hear it on the tv in some completely unrelated thing, but one after the other.. either stopping drinking has caused brain damage, or I need a drink, bad!!

lol

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
What a spin.. another one to add to the list this month, of things that seem to have two separate entries into my reality but end up at the same point in my mind.

Last night I was watching a documentary about an Aussie tv presenter/actor, Andrew Daddo, and his twin brother, who was severely brain damaged as an 18 year old. They were identical twins, and where one was the out going and boisterous youth to the others milder and meeker personality, after the accident it was a role reversal, which lead Andrew Daddo to be more like his brother, while his brother became trapped in a conscious world of limited movement and ability to express himself. He's taken on art as an outlet.

But at one point, Andrew said something that did my head in a bit. Just the phrase. He said "I stgill remember we were always doing things together, playing with the electric cars or kicking the footy".

I had not heard or said the words "Playing with the electric cars" in so long it was like seeing a familiar face.

And it made me think, I cannot really remember those toys I used to play with, took for granted, live with. And I realised that kids today just don't have that connection to the intimate playtime we had as kids.

We invented pretend worlds to play in. Now it comes to them.

So when I see this thread, it just strikes me -- I should have seen something coming, with so many little things all pointing somewhere in my world at the moment.

You know, see a new word for the first time on some news website, then hear it on the tv in some completely unrelated thing, but one after the other.. either stopping drinking has caused brain damage, or I need a drink, bad!!

lol

Well, cheers mate...

So Wino, what was your favourite toy apart from playing footy?

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
Well, cheers mate...

So Wino, what was your favourite toy apart from playing footy?

Kindest respects

Rod

Yikes, I didn't mean to imply I play footy
Sports on the telly drives me insane, let alone looking at it or playing it in real life. oO

Actually, we didn't have a lot of anything as I grew up. Moved a lot, only child, didn't stay in one school too long. Sort of had things other kids played with for a while.

Actually, the best toy I had - I was still a whipper snapper - was a small telescope my parents got me. My old man made a tripod for it and the nights back then were a lot less saturated with city lights.

Oh no now I'm getting all nostalgic.. Oo

Had a handful of those game and watch things at some point. deep sea diver, hospital, lmao, oh man even looking at these is scary..
The donkey kong 2 with the split screen.. man these things were silly, but everyone wanted a go.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Thanks for your reply Wino,

Haha, i had one of those game and watch thingummy jigs too (the bottom picture), if i remember the game was a gorilla that you had to move from the left to the right of the screen and you had to catch falling coconuts!

Kindest respects

Rod

edit on 3-4-2013 by Rodinus because: phrase added

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Originally posted by kudegras

Yep, we could have saved the world with our Corgi Batmobile and a couple of Airfix Spifires and Hurricanes with bangers up their arses!

Blummin heck, i remember the first botched up job of painting an Airfix model once i had put it together... and then learned that you had to paint it beforehand!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Wow ... Corgi Batmobile - had the original and trashed it, loved it, just trashed it ( red bat's on the hubs ) .

Left home and left my stuff there. Have a brother who was still at home ( 4-5 year age gap ).

Some years later ... I requested my globite schoolbag ( harder than a mother-in-laws' stare ) full of -
die-cast artillery ( match shooters ), fully painted airfix / humbrol dioramas and various world forces - circa. WW2.

... Gone.

Still, to this day- 35 yrs. later, there is a batmobile - with trailer and batboat ... being held for ransom.

Anyone want to buy a 1969 matchbox crash game, including a slightly crappy box and 5 mint condition superfast first edition cars?

cool thread s&f

Ed: way cool toys Rod, if I may call you that. So sorry about your kids.

LOL!
edit on 3-4-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Ah! I had one of those game and watch games! In fact the very same Donkey Kong 2 one!

@Rodinus
Yes! That was it. Green screen and all.

The worst part was when I'd run out batteries at a crucial part in the game.
Most games didn't have save features or checkpoints.... and a game over meant you need to start all over again!
Something todays gamers will never know.

edit on 3-4-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Ah! I had one of those game and watch games!

In fact the very same Donkey Kong 2 one!

Did you have the ones with the mirror image - light enhanced flip up case ?

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join