It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer finds rock he uses to press ham is a meteorite worth $5.3M

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

They should make swords out of it. They could pull in 20 million at least. Meteorite metal has made most of the mythic swords of legend. Real collectors would kill to have a sword made of this stuff.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

A meateorite ?
Sorry.

Sorry nothin! Cheesy as it may be, you won the internet today! Well played!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
When asked what hed do with the money.......
the farmer said he" reckoned hed just keep farming till it was all gone"........

Ouch... that might only take a few years.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Many years ago I had a friend who had in his studio a rather large chunk of black rock, about eight inches long and five inches wide and deep, it was smooth and pitted at the same time and one side it had for all the world looked like the imprints of grass. It weighed I would have guessed well over fifty pounds.

He said another friend had found it while plowing his field and gave it to him because he knew that he liked odd things. Both of them agreed that it might be part of a meteorite. But at that time, only people in the business of meteorites knew they had any value other than novelty. I have often wondered if now, in the information age he has ever had his rock valued.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Wow, that is amazing. I used to be in to metal detecting, and once I found a large lump of rock that gave me a signal, and was attracted to a magnet. It was about six inches long, by about 2 or 3 inches wide, and the same in depth. But from what I found out, the place where I had found the rock was where gravel used to be dumped many years before. So I think it was piece of iron ore in some rock or something like that. It had a mark down one side that suggested to me it was attached to another rock at one time, but had subsequently become detached. Anyway, finding a meteorite out in the woods or in a field or even in your backyard is not that common at all.

Many of those that are found by meteorite hunters are found in known debris fields, and although these special space rocks are littered around the globe, I would think that many of them would be buried by now. But, in places that do not get a lot of rain I suspect they can be found more abundantly, unless these areas have been combed in the past.

I think the greatest aspect of this story is that he was using the rock to press ham. Well, and that it is worth 5 million dollars. It is just a great story, and I like to see stories like this, especially considering all of the doom and gloom threads and stories we get here on ATS. I just wish the MSM would focus more on good stories instead of negative stories, and this is an example of a good story.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join