It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroes....What is the point of being one?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
We all know of them. We have played games with them. The heroic stranger who rides in and saves the day. But i have been pondering something. Why does a hero do what he does? Is it for recognition? or fame? no most of the time it is because fo a Need. Still A hero seems to never get what they deserve to it seems. Why all the sacrifice for someone else when all you have to look foward to is living a solitary life and dying alone. Or losing what you care about the most because of what you are. Or living long enough to see you turn into what you fought against most. Please feel free to post about this.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I don't think I can give you a long or detailed answer. For a man, being a hero involves doing what is right. Knowing that one has done the "right thing" is a powerful incentive, at least for me.

If this starts a discussion, I'll come back, otherwise, just ignore it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Heros come in all different colors. They are regular people that make a decision at a critical point to assist another person in danger. They are not Batman; often their actions are spontaneous. There are a bunch of heros.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Being a hero brings no rewards. It is a personal choice for a hero to do the right thing knowing that it involves self-sacrifice. But at the same time, it’s the ultimate act of defiance to live by a code of honor in a corrupt world. The hero’s ethics and principles can’t be bought, can’t be swayed, and can’t be destroyed.

If the hero did it for fame, money, babes, and glory--then he is no longer a hero, but a normal person and a hired gun.

Here is a summary of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey:
www.thewritersjourney.com...
edit on 2-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, there's Kant's law of universal good...

Basically if you want to know if you should or shouldn't do something, in a metaphysical sense, Kant says that as long as it's OK for everyone to have that sort of behavior, all of the time, then it's a good thing to do.

Perhaps, by being a hero, some people are just playing that part in the hope that everyone else will too.

The problem with his law though is that it only works for a society when everyone follows it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I don't think I can give you a long or detailed answer. For a man, being a hero involves doing what is right. Knowing that one has done the "right thing" is a powerful incentive, at least for me.

If this starts a discussion, I'll come back, otherwise, just ignore it.

Only for men? What about for women?

And how do you know that you're doing the "right thing"? Where do your ideas of right and good come from? Not trying to hassle you, just asking.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Why does a hero do what he does? Is it for recognition? or fame? no most of the time it is because fo a Need. Still A hero seems to never get what they deserve to it seems. Why all the sacrifice for someone else when all you have to look foward to is living a solitary life and dying alone. Or losing what you care about the most because of what you are. Or living long enough to see you turn into what you fought against most. Please feel free to post about this.

Some times the word 'hero' gets over used IMO.

As for a true hero, they usually don't think of fame or recognition, they just place others before themselves.

In other words, they just act on impulse because they feel it is the right thing to do, regardless of the danger.
And having said that, they don't look for any kind of reward due to the fact that many don't think of themselves as hero's.

Their actions of goodness is what gives them character and honor.
Without thinking of the 'why'.....
Or what will I get out of this.....

As I've heard many a good men say:

"Live for nothing.
Or die for some thing"

Respectfully~
snarky

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
"If you can't do something smart do something right."
-Firefly

Altruism.

al·tru·ism
noun \ˈal-trü-ˌi-zəm\
Definition of ALTRUISM
1: unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others
2: behavior by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species

One doesn't become a hero for the benefits. There are none.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
People that do heroic acts are not necessarily heroes, except for that act. I think people that are heroes are people we can emulate for the way they have lived their lives as whole. Don't let your heroes be goats.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Whats the point of being a Hero?

"To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

edit on 2-4-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

edit on 2-4-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I've helped people out many times if they were in trouble or were struggling with something. I never expected a gain off of my good deeds. It isn't really a good deed if you get something for helping. Most of the people I helped never even knew who I was.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Dear ZeroReady,

Excellent post and questions, thank you. No, I don't feel hassled in the slightest. You've got three good questions, and I have no good answers, but I can make a feeble effort.

Let me start by making a fairly obvious observation. Being a hero, or doing a heroic act, requires sacrifice. It has to cost to be a hero. Now, let's see what I can do with your questions.

Only for men? What about for women?
The silly answer is that women have to be heroines. But I do think women may have a different set of rules indicating what is "right." But it's been a loooong time since I was a woman (never) so I can't know for sure.

If I had to guess, I would say a woman's heroic sacrifice is centered on her children, her spouse or lover, perhaps other people's children.

Men and women are different. (I thought you'd like that.)

Here, I may go astray so correct me. I think male heroes are more interested in sacrificing for people in general, for ideas such as their country, and for a code of proper conduct which seems to be a mix of manners and Biblical commands.

I know, I know, this is a pretty unimpressive start, but it is a start.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

In my mind if there were to be a point to being a hero ? Then that would remove any possibility of truly being a hero.
I believe those who look to become hero's only achieve arrogance.
A hero.
edit on 2-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
"If you can't do something smart do something right."
-Firefly

i think that was from the movie. Serenity, not the show. both the show and movie are some of the best sci fi ever.

jayne said that to mal in the galley after they left miranda. then he slid the whiskey bottle to simon, who asked mal what is his plan.

here's a quote from the wiki, Serenity. with part of the scenes Dialogue. this mini speech mal gave kinda makes me think about whats happening now, in the world.

Mal: This report is maybe twelve years old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I’m asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people…better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.
Jayne: Shepherd Book used to tell me, "If you can't do somethin' smart... do somethin' right."

i say let's all misbehave.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
A hero is one who takes actions for the greater good, or the benefits of others.

A hero can be a passer-by who lends a hand to a homeless individual.

A hero can be someone who saves another's life during a time of crisis.

A hero can be someone who devotes their time to exposing corrupt individuals and governments.

A hero can be someone who delays, or stops a crime.

A hero can be someone who apprehends a criminal.

The term "hero" can be applied to many individuals, whether they are famous and extravagant deeds, or not.

The passer-by is a hero to that homeless individual because they assisted them during a hard time.

That individual who saved another's life is a hero because they acted to save the life of one before themselves.

The individual who exposes governments and individuals is a hero because he is acting on behalf of the community. He is putting his safety at risk for the betterment of society.

The individual who delayed the crime is a hero to the victims involved, because with his involvement, others were able to subdue, and arrest him.

That individual who apprehended the criminal is a hero, because he directly saved the community from other similar crimes in the future.

A hero can be anyone. And most heroes are not driven by material motives such as money or fame. They act the way they do, because they understand that without their involvement; whatever/whoever it is they were intending to help will go by unnoticed.

The point of being a hero is to defend and help those who can't help themselves.
edit on 3-4-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Saving a persons life at risk to your own. People might call that "hero behavior".

But the "hero" won't.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Thanks for the correction.
Best
Movie
TV SHow
Ever!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

The title of "Hero" is not one that is sought after by those committing heroic acts. They act out of an inborn instinct to do what is right even if it endangers their own well being because it is what is necessary at the time, and if they didn't do something who would? Not everyone has that instinct within them and if not for those with the compassion for those in need of help with the willingness to put themselves at risk to do so many would be lost.

I have saved a few lives in my time and it was never planned- an emergency arose and I just did what was needed and necessary. I did not think about the dangers to myself at the time, only that if I didn't do something someone would die and I could not allow that to happen. I have also had my own life saved by a "hero" and once safe I asked him why he had done it. His answer was "I don't know, it just seemed like the right thing to do." I have never seen this man again and do not know his name, but I'm very thankful he did what he felt was the right thing.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Sometimes it's just a slow day and we need something to do to occupy our time. Sure, it's not always an easy job and most people don't really appreciate it, but it's better than watching reruns of Gilligan's Island I guess.

You're welcome

top topics

<<   2 >>

join