It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerned Officials Warn: “North Korea Could Explode a High-Altitude Nuclear Device Over the Unite

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This article is pretty interesting and brings up the possibility of NK detonating a nuke over the US for the purpose of causing a massive EMP, which would obviously destroy the US and send us back to 1750. I have always thought that this method would be the best way to take down America, and I have taken measures to move on with life in the event that this happens, from NK, or whoever.

In December of last year, the DPRK launched an orbital satellite, which left many wondering about its payload. Could it be that this ‘space launch vehicle’ is carrying a star wars type nuclear weapons package? Some U.S. officials seem to think so, and they’re sounding the alarm:

U.S. officials quietly are expressing concern that North Korea could use its “space launch vehicle” to explode a high-altitude nuclear device over the United States, creating an electromagnetic pulse that would destroy major portions of the U.S. electrical grid system as well as the nation’s critical infrastructures.

The concern is so great that U.S. officials who watch North Korea closely are continually monitoring the status of the North Korean “space launch vehicle,” whose status could suggest a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the United States.

They are aware of the three-stage missile North Korea launched last December that also orbited a “package,” which experts say could be a test to orbit a nuclear weapon that then would be deorbited on command anywhere over the U.S. and exploded at a high altitude, creating an EMP effect. …

This concern recently has been reinforced by a little-publicized study by the U.S. Army War College that said a nuclear detonation at altitude above a U.S. city could wipe out the electrical grid for hundreds, possibly thousands of miles around.

The impact would be catastrophic.

“Preparing for months without a commercial source of clean water (city water pressure is often dependent on electric pumping to storage towers) and stoppage of sewage treatment facilities will require net methods of survival particularly in populated areas,” the military study said.

The May 2011 study, titled, “In the Dark: Military Planning for a Catastrophic Critical Infrastructure Event,” concluded that there is “very little” in the way of backup capability to the electric grid upon which the communications infrastructure is vitally dependent.

In my opinion, NK doesn't have the technical capability to pull this off, but they may have friends that would certainly help them do it.

Link
edit on 2-4-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
If this was a real threat the US would already of obliterated the satellite. They have the means, probably several means to do this.

More fanciful stuff to make us nervous and receptive in preparation for a false flag.

P

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Oh sure they do, it's real easy.

What do you suppose we have on board our military shuttle? Pez?

It's just not as doomsday as it's made out to be... the lights go out....I loose you tube... our trains will run, transformers will be fixed etc, etc .... then we have every valid pretext to turn NK to glass

Don't get me wrong... a world of lame... but no one dies unless we act like fools... heat stroke in summer with no ac...whatever, we have no actual shortage of food and water... what else is there that matters in the scheme of things?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Do you have a link for your off site content? TIA
edit on 4/2/2013 by TheOtter because: Autocorrect sux

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
What would NK possibly gain by doing this?

The US would still maintain its second strike capability and NK would be hit. Even if their leaders survived our attack we would quickly follow it up with an invasion to remove them from power.

Basically the only thing this would do is inconvienence the US for awhile and cost the NK leadership their jobs.

I doubt they would even consider it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Shoot that satt down. They probably don't have the tech to even notice its demise

Cool thread, star/flag.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
If this was a real threat the US would already of obliterated the satellite. They have the means, probably several means to do this.

More fanciful stuff to make us nervous and receptive in preparation for a false flag.

P

I dunno... it's dicey

If we shoot down the Satellite we started the war, in the end.... we can replace transformers lol.... a bad time... no one actually has to die and THEN we have valid pretext to do whatever we want.... Right now the "budget" doesn't exist to harden the grid.... i'd imagine there are SOME within the pentagon that would Love to see 3-4 States go Black so the decision has to be made to harden the grid for the future... and a crummy NK bomb wont do much worse than that....

The wisdom would likely be to let them... it ends the situation with NK in under 10 minutes when we retaliate, forces money into infrastructure after the fact.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by penninja

It's just not as doomsday as it's made out to be... the lights go out....I loose you tube... our trains will run, transformers will be fixed etc, etc .... then we have every valid pretext to turn NK to glass

Don't get me wrong... a world of lame... but no one dies unless we act like fools... heat stroke in summer with no ac...whatever, we have no actual shortage of food and water... what else is there that matters in the scheme of things?

If an EMP hit America like they are describing it could take years to undo the damage. I don't think you really understand just how devastating a EMP attack can be.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
My question is: where did they figure this out? They couldnt have by themselves, that is if they actually attempt it. The only country i know of that would do that is Russia. Sounds fishy to me.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
well its a good thing Cheney the isnt calling the shots
this time around,
hopefully the rocket will never leave NK

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You need to provide links for your source, please. I would've thought you would know this, seeing as how you are quoting non-personal material?

As for exploding an atomic weapon, North Korea does not have the capability to ballistically deliver such a device over the mainland of the US, nor enough atomic material with enough payload required to create such an EMP blast. At best, North Korea will have as many as 40 near Hiroshima-sized devices that they might be able to deliver up to a 2500 mile radius. From North Korea to Western Mainland US is almost 6000 miles.

These ranges are facts, you can doubt them if you want, but do the research first before you do. The North Korean rocket that has the distance of 2500 miles was a two stage rocket booster, the only part of the whole rocket that performed successfully, the rest of the rocket, including the business end disintegrated seconds after the second booster.

When I start getting scared by the news, then it really is time to be frightend!
edit on 2/4/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

From a post I made a bit ago on another NK thread:

Another article I found very very interesting, not sure if there is a thread or not but wanted to continue adding to the discussion as it is foremost on my mind today.

______beforeitsnews/opinion-conservative/2013/04/u-s-on-alert-for-nuclear-blast-overhead-2611700.html

WASHINGTON – U.S. officials quietly are expressing concern that North Korea could use its “space launch vehicle” to explode a high-altitude nuclear device over the United States, creating an electromagnetic pulse that would destroy major portions of the U.S. electrical grid system as well as the nation’s critical infrastructures.

The concern is so great that U.S. officials who watch North Korea closely are continually monitoring the status of the North Korean “space launch vehicle,” whose status could suggest a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the United States.

This concern is in addition to North Korea’s latest threat to strike targets in Hawaii and the continental U.S., as well as possible attacks against U.S. bases in South Korea and Japan.

The 28-year-old North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, has signed an order for North Korea’s strategic rocket forces to be on standby to fire at U.S. targets.

The signing was against a photo backdrop following an emergency meeting of his senior military leaders showing large maps that were labeled “U.S. mainland strike plan, specifically at Hawaii, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and Austin, Texas.”

patdollard.com...

Could have some links to your story or at least close to it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOtter
Do you have a link for your off site content? TIA
edit on 4/2/2013 by TheOtter because: Autocorrect sux

It's there now... I always forget the link

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Western propoganda to justify a pre-emptive strike,complete fiction but a good read
edit on 2-4-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I imagine if that were a real threat the US would have no problem starting war first.

Our leaders will not give up their power so easily, an emp would take that power from them and put them in the same boat as the rest of us ordinary folks, they know this. They would not accept this and would draw first blood no hesitation, then lie about it later and cover it up.

The object of power is power our leaders would rather start war then give it up..

Could be wrong though, but doubt it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
all2human:

Western propoganda to justify a pre-emptive strike,complete fiction but a good read.

Absolutely! Some fearmongering going on here. EMP blast knocks out all communications and use of electrical equipment. Isn't there a turgid TV series broadcasting about the loss of electricity at the moment? propaganda indeed! But hey, if you prefer to sh1t yourselves unduly, be my guest.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
You need to provide links for your source, please. I would've thought you would know this, seeing as how you quoting non-personal material?

As for exploding an atomic weapon, North Korea does not have the capability to ballistically deliver such a device over the mainland of the US, nor enough atomic material with enough payload required to create such an EMP blast. At best, North Korea will have as many as 40 near Hiroshima-sized devices that they might be able to deliver up to a 2500 mile radius. From North Korea to Western Mainland US is almost 6000 miles.

I forgot the link... it's there now... people make mistakes... calm down

I agree with your thoughts on NK but that is why I mentioned the possibility of them having "friends"

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by penninja

If an EMP hit America like they are describing it could take years to undo the damage. I don't think you really understand just how devastating a EMP attack can be.

Actually I think I do understand exactly and precisely

And yeah the full extent could take a few years to fix...

So what? Keep a copy of windows 7 on Cd... The only actual chaos would be human behavior and if we deal with it and don't act like animals it could all be fine...

Decentralization of the power grid is just one of those things that needs to be done and doesn't happen because of finance... in the long run it would be a favor, the worst of it would be the potential for nuclear incident.... and you know what that's the stupidest system we ever devised and it's going to go down sooner than later anyway with the same results at least if it happens under attack the people will mobilize to cope... (most of the systems will shut down fine)

There's an energy catastrophe coming one way or another... yeah it would be a tradgedy

You want my honest opinion? Maybe this is what it would take to bring Americans together and get $$$ signs out of our eyes and return us to our priorities....

I Live in AZ... Germany bitter cold Germany with the clouds and all the rest is 100% non nuclear... could recover from this in 4-6 weeks.... My State could power half the planet and we have an interlinked vulnerable grid run by sitting Bombs...

A mediocre NK nuke might only partially take down the grid.... far better scenario than lets say a proper delivery system with a bigger bomb or worse... solar activity of the awful kind... May well serve as much as a wake up call to replace an outdated dangerous system.... rather than true doom

edit on 2-4-2013 by penninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

First they are supposed to unite with South Korea, invade Japan, and *then* E.M.P the U.S

A few more steps it seems.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I seriously argue those ranges.... and by the experience of US testing.

I can't look at these without feeling a mix of awe ..and deep 'pit of the stomach' sickness. Especially the view of the blasts from beneath. Something about the ...what? fury? Chaos? Maelstrom? I don't know the word to describe what a nuclear weapon detonated in space looks like. Someone else can try, perhaps.

I hope the OP finds the perspective here helpful and not challenging. After all, on this, it's the truth we most seek, right?

Those are the detonations in space. The largest of them, the Hardtack series, was a beautiful sight from Hawaii...roughly 900 miles away.

That was insanely powerful at multi-megatons compared to what NK could reasonably be expected to produce on any level, at their stage of development..In my opinion.

However, the hardtack series did show something about Ultra High altitude EMPs.

Teak, the second high altitude of Hardtack I produced powerfull EMP (electro magnetic pulse) effects. The effects of this pulse were experienced at Apia Observatory in Samoa, and caused damage to land based electronics as far as 1500 km away. The detonation spread a layer of fission debris in the upper atmosphere, destroying the ability of the normal ionized layers of the upper atmosphere to bend radio waves back to earth, thus cutting many trans-pacific high frequency communication circuits. The blackout lasted 9 hours in Australia, and 2 hours in honolulu. These effects were further investigated in 1958 during Operation Argus.
Source
The source on that has a much better listing of previous tests by location, yield, type (altitude or other) and links to video or photos.

(Hardtack Orange...3.8 Megaton)

Beautiful ...in a horrible kind of way, aren't they?

I'd say everyone make their own judgements ..but personally? I think an uncontrolled, imprecise weapon like that is more likely than any nuclear warhead actually hitting a spot they aimed for. That is also the greatest nightmare to see actually happen, IMO. It would be catastrophic in a Western nation where little things like electricity to pacemakers are really important to people. Downright required to live, in fact.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join