It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Fanatics Send Death Threats To College Professor Due To Perceived Offense

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Dear xedocodex,

I'm sorry, but I must disagree. If I were to issue a strong religious insult to a group of Atheists, then Muslims, and then Christians, I believe my survival chances would be best with the Christians, next best with the Atheists, and much the worst with the Muslims.

There just isn't much religious violence aginst Muslims. Most of it seems to be either standard military violence or self defence. There must be many churches destroyed in the Mid-east for every Mosque. Muslims even kill each other or destroy property over religious interpretations.

I just can't see that all are equally dangerous.

Perhaps you have better information than I do. I'd like to see it and learn.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Xenoglossy

What good is knowledge if you do not understand it?

The lesson plan was meant to have students step on the napkin in order [to have them] show disrespect to Jesus. It is masked as an innocenst study of symbolism, but the implied symbolism is not innocent. The actual lesson is to persuade students to disrespect Jesus - which is blasphemous. You may say that, "oh no, they aren't supposed to actually step on the napkin", but most of them did, and yet still, the lesson is still the same; it is persuading people to be blasphemous.

Since all of reality is nothing more than a bunch of leptons and quarks/energy, then everything we see [and] deem as being sacred, or of importance, is really just because of the symbolism we place on them. I reduced the professor and the napkin both to leptons and quarks to show that it is not what the things actually are that makes them important, it is the symbolism we place on them.

The lesson plan knows it is blasphemy to disrespect God(s), and I'm sure the professor does as well.
edit on 4/3/2013 by Bleeeeep because: added [and] in brackets and the [to have them] to clarify..may be more errors

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I meant "persuade" but the spell checker lit up and I choose the wrong corrected spelling.

Also, the OP reads, "only one student in the course had an objection". Which says to me, they all stepped on the napkin except for one kid, possibly the student addressed in the topic.

And to address the rest of your rebuttal, see my above post.

Edit to clarify:
I am not troubled when innocent minds do something wrong. I am troubled by those who know what they are doing is malicious and they do those malicious deeds to innocent people in order to hurt them or corrupt their minds.

That is to say, of course what the student did, and person who made the threat did, was wrong. That goes without saying - but it is not nearly as bad as what the professor, and whomever wrote the lesson plan, did.

The lesson plan corrupted both the professor and the students - they're both victims.
edit on 4/3/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
... The actual lesson is to persuade students to disrespect Jesus - which is blasphemous. ...

And how do you know this?
Let me guess. Because of ... bible.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

From common knowledge. Disrespect to God(s) is blasphemy.

What, did you just step out from under a rock?

Sorry, I meant, did you just evolve from a rock?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Is it illegal to do so? nope.
Do you want it to be?
Oh and which God do you mean? yours? or many of the other ones? have you ever said that other religions follow the wrong God?
edit on 3-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

From common knowledge. Disrespect to God(s) is blasphemy.

What, did you just step out from under a rock?

Sorry, I meant, did you just evolve from a rock?

I'm sure you take special care not to disrespect Zeus, Poseidon, Osiris, Ra, Thor and Odin, too.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Depends on whose law you're referencing.

Yes and no.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

It would be blasphemy if I did, but what I do is neither here nor there, in regards to this topic.

Attack the argument not me.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I put suicide bombers in the middle east on the same page as abortion clinic bombers in the U.S.

They are terrorists, plain and simple.

Terrorists that worship twisted versions of their respective religions.

In the U.S, you are more likely to hear of a muslim zealot than a christian zealot.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Nope not a rock here you may learn something.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I get death threats here at ATS from some of the things that I write about.

*whaaa*

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Don't be so overzealous. It's just the internets.

My comment was meant to be humorous rebuttal to his snide comment.

For the record, I believe in evolution, God, and rhetoric.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
The christians are becoming more like the muslims every day.

What's this 'becoming' nonsense? (lol)

I'm sure that history provides great examples of the cross-pollination of hatred and bigotry that has occured between extremists of these 2 religions (at least)...

First there was **cking for jesus, now its killing for jesus...

Retribution knoes no bounds in time it seems...acting like backwater, inbred cousins in the name of love...

...priceless...

A99

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Dont worry professor I have had the same experiences.

It still amazes me that a small group of so called Christians think they have the right to Judge and take matters into their own hands. When people hear the word Jesus they seem to run because that word is often accompnied by a religious fanatic bent on Evil and trying to convert everyone and all. Everyone has their own beliefs, why can't these people simply mind their own buisness instead of having to convert the entire forum and world. We have FREE choice so who gives anyone the right to force their will, forcing your will against someone else will is what is known as evil.

Im so very very glad to see much of this site has been bleach of this disease, allthough it may only be tempory as this lot feels that they are doing it for Jesus. Why dont they go do good works instead ! ?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
He said, she said. There are 3 sides to every story. Why are none of the classmates being interviewed on this story? Common sense dictates that they should be to find out the truth. Until then it is simply a "he said, she said" story to be taken with a grain of salt.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear xedocodex,

I'm sorry, but I must disagree. If I were to issue a strong religious insult to a group of Atheists, then Muslims, and then Christians, I believe my survival chances would be best with the Christians, next best with the Atheists, and much the worst with the Muslims.

There just isn't much religious violence aginst Muslims. Most of it seems to be either standard military violence or self defence. There must be many churches destroyed in the Mid-east for every Mosque. Muslims even kill each other or destroy property over religious interpretations.

I just can't see that all are equally dangerous.

Perhaps you have better information than I do. I'd like to see it and learn.

With respect,
Charles1952

And there you are, excusing Christian fanatics again.

Like someone else brought up...what about those that bomb abortion clinics...are they any different than a suicide Muslim bomber?

If you can't see that a fanatic that is willing to kill for their religion/beliefs is equal dangerous no matter what belief is driving them...then I really believe you are being wilfully ignorant and just trying to keep your rose colored glasses on concerning Christians.

The fact is that society (reflected by this board) is a bunch of hypocrites. If this had been a Muslim sending death threats...Fox News and others here would be so "outraged"...hell...they are outraged on this board that Muslims don't like a Lego set. But still, all I am getting from the typical known "conservatives" here is defense of Christians sending death threats.

Hypocrites.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

The lesson plan was meant to have students step on the napkin in order [to have them] show disrespect to Jesus. It is masked as an innocenst study of symbolism, but the implied symbolism is not innocent. The actual lesson is to persuade students to disrespect Jesus - which is blasphemous. You may say that, "oh no, they aren't supposed to actually step on the napkin", but most of them did, and yet still, the lesson is still the same; it is persuading people to be blasphemous.

No, here is the actual objective of the lesson.

The course at Florida Atlantic University was in intercultural communications, and the exercise involves having students write "Jesus" on a piece of paper, and then asking them to step on it. When they hesitate, the instructor has an opening to discuss symbols and their meaning.

So the exercise is actually meant for them to never step on the paper. The exercise is to discuss why they would hesitate in stepping on a piece of paper. If you wrote the name "Hitler" on the paper, hardly anyone would hesitate. If you wrote the name "George" on the paper...still...no one would really hesitate. But you write "Jesus"...and it becomes different. The point of the exercise is to discuss WHY that scenario is different when it is still just a name on a piece of paper.

There is no blasphemy...it is LEARNING.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

So, why not write mother or father on the paper? Not everyone is religious. The lesson is not what it appears to be. Maybe tell them to write the name of their closest loved one? That would make more sense.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Your hate is showing!! Stop with the Christian bashing already. There was a whole gaggle of Liberal Atheists who threatened to kill Romney if he was elected

Should we consider every Liberal Atheist a potential terrorist too?

Obviously those upset over it need to take a step back and look at the facts of what really happened in the classroom before jumping to conclusions. The teacher asked students to step on Jesus, what an idiotic teacher. Surely he had to know that that would cause some ruckus.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join