It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full-auto scopes/ssights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A laser on my handgun is about the extent of what I know about electronics on weapons. And I've been wondering about that. So, I'll pose some questions and comments.

Is there such a thing for shoulder-fired rifles as a full-auto scope? by that I mean that a scope that is self-contained, self-adjusting. It would judge the wind speed, the angle of elevation, distance, the characteristics of the bullet and the gun, and dial them automatically into the gun without the typical elevation and windage knobs, etc.?

An added capability would be to sense the impact point of the first "targeting" round and self-adjust the striking point to where the crosshairs were at the instant fired. this would, of course, allow backup shots virtually instantly without any additional manipulation by the shooter except pulling the trigger again as soon as the targeting bullet hit the target area.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Source

Darpa's Self-Aiming "One Shot" Sniper Rifle Scheduled for Next Year

A new DARPA-funded electro-optical system will calculate the ballistics for him, telling him where to aim and ensuring a perfect shot, no matter the weather conditions.

That's the closest I found to what you described in your OP.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
to do all that stuff automatically you need computer control tripods and lots of other goodies.

just a gun on its own, is never going to manage all that while you are holding it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

No dice.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I think the closest thing that is available now to a scope that does the thinking for you is the Barrett Bors System, its not cheap but does take some of the calculations out of the process.
Barrett Bors

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
There are scopes with software based ballistic calculators and laser rangefinders built right into them. They require that you use a specific load though. I can't remember the brand name off the top of my head right now, sorry.

Edit: here's one Burris Eliminator Rifle Scopes
edit on 2/4/13 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
to do all that stuff automatically you need computer control tripods and lots of other goodies.

just a gun on its own, is never going to manage all that while you are holding it.

Not at all. You are not thinking clearly, the small logic system is in the scope.
As for the tripod, elbows will do nicely for a scope that self corrects for the smallest little nudge.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
There are scopes with software based ballistic calculators and laser rangefinders built right into them. They require that you use a specific load though. I can't remember the brand name off the top of my head right now, sorry.

Edit: here's one Burris Eliminator Rifle Scopes
edit on 2/4/13 by Darce because: (no reason given)

No doubt the next up-grade will be a generic thinking scope that will have preloaded most loads.
Wow! What this stuff is becoming to..... Instead of a soldier becoming more lean and mean with compact equipment, he is becoming a battery pack(er).

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Is there such a thing for shoulder-fired rifles as a full-auto scope? by that I mean that a scope that is self-contained, self-adjusting. It would judge the wind speed, the angle of elevation, distance, the characteristics of the bullet and the gun, and dial them automatically into the gun without the typical elevation and windage knobs, etc.?

As far as I know as a retired SF Officer - no, these things are done by the individual sniper/spotter team by using a combination of field craft, training and devices (ranger finders, anemometers, and a good ole calculator).

I am no expert sniper BTW (I went to regular Army Sniper School in 1988 and the last time I fired at a legitimate sniper target was early in Operation Just Cause) and things have changed a lot since then. I was later an SF Team Leader and Company Commander so employment of teams is more my thing rather than the actual shooting.

A lot of time and money goes into selecting, training and employing snipers for obvious reasons.

In the opinion of my SOTIC trained Weapon's Sergeants you don't want a sniper to be too reliant on any single device (be that a weapon type, scope, or all the neat calculators out there) as the failure of that one device would be mission failure in and of itself. Snipers are a rare breed and most take pride in doing the necessary math in their heads or at least on paper...

I can see where a device as you describe could be of use by enabling someone untrained to make complex sniper snots; I don't; however, see it taking the place of actual sniper field craft and training. It cannot make all the decisions a trained operator needs to make prior to the engagement and then ultimately at trigger time.

There are some neat things in the works with guided munitions similar to but smaller in caliber than conventional laser guided bombs, missiles and artillery. Placing a 20mm "grenade" round behind/above/around or into a covered position with precision and assisted targeting is far from being conventional hardware - but it’s in the testing phases. I see this capability being too expensive for fielding on a large scale at the Soldier level. At least at this point...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I do believe you are now on the watch list with Secret Service, DHS, and NSA. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Looks like there is a new kid on the block..
$17,000 Linux-powered rifle brings “auto-aim” to the real world

arstechnica.com...

arstechnica.com...

TrackingPoint makes "Precision Guided Firearms, or "PGFs," which are a series of three heavily customized hunting rifles, ranging from a .300 Winchester Magnum with a 22-inch barrel up to a .338 Lapua Magnum with 27-inch barrel, all fitted with advanced computerized scopes that look like something directly out of The Terminator. Indeed, the comparison to that movie is somewhat apt, because looking through the scope of a Precision Guided Firearm presents you with a collection of data points and numbers, all designed to get a bullet directly from point A to point B.

edit on 6-4-2013 by Papagrune because: added link

top topics

join